TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many people are still super active on here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many posts do you post a day?
None.
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
2-3
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
5+
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
10+
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything will move off the internet and onto The Cloud, where spambots will post pictures of naked people and kittens. The NSA will post your daily activities, making Twitter and Facebook superfluous.

People will stop talking to each other online and will only communicate through primitive vocalizations face-to-face.

Smartphones will be replaced eventually by pocket watches that offer advice about how to live your life more effectively than you do. Kind of like when your mother in law is pretending you aren't in the room but keeps talking about you.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dream of making it "big" on the internet was always an illusion... the same of making it "big" in the "real" world... your chances are really just as good... those with the most resources and the money to pay the most talented people almost always prevail, with some exceptions, but not many... those who did get an early dig did benefit somewhat... there are some comic sites with huge followings... but nothing like the old days of newspaper comics where immense wealth can be found... sadly, the internet will likely shrink and become more of a consumer-facing medium... I think most of us here lived through the "golden age" of the web... it seems to be slowly ending... or maybe quickly?
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewomack wrote:
I think most of us here lived through the "golden age" of the web... it seems to be slowly ending... or maybe quickly?
I wouldn't bet on it. The world is in flux right now, things are changing and people are changing with it. The ability to share information with other people is an essential human need, so the web will always be here. I expect its more of an ebb and flow of the tide.

Right now TWCL has about 22000 webcomics. Even considering that 75% are probably dead, that's still a pretty sizeable community. Also important, many dead comics still have sizeable archives available to the public.

TWCL itself has, of course, seen better days. Most of the old core personalities have moved on, and that's what drives forum conversation. The sun attracts planets, and the planets draw in moons, and the moons draw in comets. Loose the sun, and you lose everything that orbits around it. Ash has moved on to other things and hasn't given the power to update the site to any of his minions (which I am of the opinion he should do - naturally I'll volunteer wendyw for all of the hard work), so the forum is a little broken and is easy prey for spambots. Fix these things and it would probably be back to the Golden Days pretty quick.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewomack wrote:
The dream of making it "big" on the internet was always an illusion... the same of making it "big" in the "real" world... your chances are really just as good... those with the most resources and the money to pay the most talented people almost always prevail, with some exceptions, but not many... those who did get an early dig did benefit somewhat... there are some comic sites with huge followings... but nothing like the old days of newspaper comics where immense wealth can be found... sadly, the internet will likely shrink and become more of a consumer-facing medium... I think most of us here lived through the "golden age" of the web... it seems to be slowly ending... or maybe quickly?

I agree and disagree. I think the golden age is over for the things we think of. But the new products apps and websites still can make it big by being new, unique and accessible.

Making money with webcomics is rare. I'd bet its better to network IRL than online. Ads and stuff like that will be the lasting money makers on the internet. Younger and younger audiences who use the internet use it differently today though. Like an entertainment communications hub. They don't click ads or give a crap about over saturated things like webcomics. There's just so much. That's not to say everyone is like that, just the majority (IMO).

However the internet will never die. We need information and we need it fast and we always need to communicate. So it'll be useful forever.

vulpeslibertas wrote:
ewomack wrote:
I think most of us here lived through the "golden age" of the web... it seems to be slowly ending... or maybe quickly?
I wouldn't bet on it. The world is in flux right now, things are changing and people are changing with it. The ability to share information with other people is an essential human need, so the web will always be here. I expect its more of an ebb and flow of the tide.

Right now TWCL has about 22000 webcomics. Even considering that 75% are probably dead, that's still a pretty sizeable community. Also important, many dead comics still have sizeable archives available to the public.

TWCL itself has, of course, seen better days. Most of the old core personalities have moved on, and that's what drives forum conversation. The sun attracts planets, and the planets draw in moons, and the moons draw in comets. Loose the sun, and you lose everything that orbits around it. Ash has moved on to other things and hasn't given the power to update the site to any of his minions (which I am of the opinion he should do - naturally I'll volunteer wendyw for all of the hard work), so the forum is a little broken and is easy prey for spambots. Fix these things and it would probably be back to the Golden Days pretty quick.

I can't say for sure or not. I hope so. I guess it depends on a number of factors like getting new users here posting again. It certainly has the potential. The question is how does a site like this recover its glory days? Is it just that ppl move on or does the site just need an overhaul?

Tough questions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's moreso that the formats have changed. Web 2.0 basically offers instant notifications of new posts, and you can link tons of sites to your social media profiles to keep all that information in one place. Forums are dying, but social media is hopping. People like profiles that that follow them around the web, because it takes out the inconvenience of needing to register on yet another website and risk forgetting your username/password/email and whatever else the site requires to log in.

There are countless of webcomic creators on Twitter. There's tons of webcomic groups on Facebook. A lot of these are active as well, though a lot of it may be spamming self-promotional stuff.

TWCL has the top slot when you google "webcomic list" or "webcomic listing", so people will continue to come here. We need to figure out how to make it more inviting for people to stay.

Updating the forum software would help considerably, I think, especially if it would block out the bots we have now. You guys do a good job of cleaning them up, but sometimes (usually in the dead of night) there's so many of them it makes the forum look more dead than it is.

vulpeslibertas wrote:
Ash has moved on to other things and hasn't given the power to update the site to any of his minions (which I am of the opinion he should do - naturally I'll volunteer wendyw for all of the hard work)

Is this something that would be reasonable to ask for (again, if not already)? Or is he just too busy to ever get around to it?

If we can't ever fix the problems the forum has or gain enough control to make it more manageable, it may honestly be better to create a new forum. Though that a whole lot of work still, and possibly money, so probably not a practical answer.
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some experiments have been tried with upgrading the forum. wendy has talked about it before. It's definitely possible, but it's a matter have having the time and technical expertise to do it.

For the moment, I'm just concerned with increasing the discussion here, and I think it's working. Hard to tell, but it seems slightly more lively here than a month or two ago. I'm more likely to log in and find new posts.

Maybe if we tied TWCL into Facebook and/or Twitter that would increase traffic.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early days of the web seemed to be more of a "golden age" of creation, invention and expansion by individuals and small groups. I think the future of the internet will be more dominated by people with power and money. The little people will likely get pushed more and more to the margins. Well, I think they're already pushed to the margins. But we'll see. I don't see those early days returning, though.

As for this forum, well... at least it's still functioning. Nearly all of the forums I visit are in the same state... few posts, little action and a post-apocalyptic ambiance. Many, though, have expired. So I'm happy this forum remains, even at the greatly reduced participation rates.

Forums probably won't disappear altogether, but they'll probably become a macrocosm of the "old" web that lives on...
FlapjackStudios

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
Some experiments have been tried with upgrading the forum. wendy has talked about it before. It's definitely possible, but it's a matter have having the time and technical expertise to do it.

For the moment, I'm just concerned with increasing the discussion here, and I think it's working. Hard to tell, but it seems slightly more lively here than a month or two ago. I'm more likely to log in and find new posts.

Maybe if we tied TWCL into Facebook and/or Twitter that would increase traffic.

I agree that those things should be tried. Its a good forum and I think new ppl would post here if they knew about it or it was updated a bit. But I understand it takes a lot of time. Maybe some day?

ewomack wrote:
The early days of the web seemed to be more of a "golden age" of creation, invention and expansion by individuals and small groups. I think the future of the internet will be more dominated by people with power and money. The little people will likely get pushed more and more to the margins. Well, I think they're already pushed to the margins. But we'll see. I don't see those early days returning, though.

As for this forum, well... at least it's still functioning. Nearly all of the forums I visit are in the same state... few posts, little action and a post-apocalyptic ambiance. Many, though, have expired. So I'm happy this forum remains, even at the greatly reduced participation rates.

Forums probably won't disappear altogether, but they'll probably become a macrocosm of the "old" web that lives on...

Interesting...kind of has a movie feel but its just about the internet. Haha. I do feel the post apocalyptic vibe around here and on most forums too. So sad....

Those money hungry and powerful ppl will ruin the internet if that keeps up.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
Ash has moved on to other things and hasn't given the power to update the site to any of his minions (which I am of the opinion he should do - naturally I'll volunteer wendyw for all of the hard work), so the forum is a little broken and is easy prey for spambots.

Heh. Thanks for that. roll

But yeah, I'd be happy to take on more duties here if I had access.

Blog
FlapjackStudios

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendyw wrote:
vulpeslibertas wrote:
Ash has moved on to other things and hasn't given the power to update the site to any of his minions (which I am of the opinion he should do - naturally I'll volunteer wendyw for all of the hard work), so the forum is a little broken and is easy prey for spambots.

Heh. Thanks for that. roll

But yeah, I'd be happy to take on more duties here if I had access.

How do you get said access? Would we need to vote? Haha. Vote for wendyw! Vote for wendyw!

Seriously though, who is in charge?
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Ash.
Ash runs the main site and put oppernaR in charge of the forum. Oppy's still in charge, but he isn't around much anymore because he spends his time travelling the world as part of his job these days (I'm pretty sure he's really a spy, but pretend I didn't say that) so as the only person with admin access to the forum who's still about on a regular basis I've sort of taken over in his absense.

Blog
JFD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendyw wrote:
I'm pretty sure he's really a spy, but pretend I didn't say that

If you suddenly disappear without a trace, we know why. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: