TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many people are still super active on here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many posts do you post a day?
None.
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
2-3
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
5+
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
10+
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There still seems to be action on the "check out my comics" thread... every comic still gets 100+ views, but comments remain pretty rare... so people are apparently still visiting but just not posting... that alone keeps me coming back...
JFD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't always feel comfortable commenting on comic threads mainly for two reasons : either the comic is in a genre or style that I'm not a fan of, which makes me think I wouldn't give it fair judgment, or the poster is a veteran, having done webcomics for years. In that case, I feel like my one month comic experience doesn't qualify me to comment.

I still read and check all of them though Smile
FlapjackStudios

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFD wrote:
I personally don't always feel comfortable commenting on comic threads mainly for two reasons : either the comic is in a genre or style that I'm not a fan of, which makes me think I wouldn't give it fair judgment, or the poster is a veteran, having done webcomics for years. In that case, I feel like my one month comic experience doesn't qualify me to comment.

I still read and check all of them though Smile

Well my friend you have just described the situation I currently am in! I'm about a year in but have just rebooted my comic so really, it's only a month or so worth of new story. My art is professional and I'm very happy with the story. Why not give it a try to see if it suits your tastes? It's called NFU: The Josh Neilson Story (or NFU for short).

http://flapjackstudios.com/nfu00.shtml

Last edited by FlapjackStudios on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlapjackStudios

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewomack wrote:
There still seems to be action on the "check out my comics" thread... every comic still gets 100+ views, but comments remain pretty rare... so people are apparently still visiting but just not posting... that alone keeps me coming back...

There needs to more RL comments. That's why I'm commenting right now! Haha. I'm hoping that the section you mentioned isn't getting hit with not views...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewomack wrote:
Actually, the threads get 100+ views, but the actual visits to the webcomic sites are significantly less than that, at least from my experience. The place I host my comic keeps track of page views and I'm still barely breaking fifty in a seven-day period. Though lately I started a better ad campaign so hopefully that'll change.

Comments of any kind would be nice, really, whether they be words of encouragement or criticism; at least then I'd know people here are reading my comic. And on that note, the whole thing in the Feedback Etiquette thread about "If your comic is beyond help, just don't say anything" is incredibly discouraging and needs to be changed, especially in this site's inactive state.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar situation, though it's not really a cause for worrying since my comic is new (build it and they will come, they say), I get about 30 views a day, but about 10 unique visitors. Traffic from TWCL to my site is very low. My top referrer (has been from day 1) is The Belfry WebComics List . I plan to use more effective means of promotion in the future, such as Project Wonderful, Google Adsense and maybe purchase an Ad spot here and there when I have a more decent archive to advertise (30+ pages).

I heartily agree with AdamTTnJ - the "If your comic is beyond help, just don't say anything" rule in the etiquette thread is like saying not voting is a good way to let your government know it sucks. It's counter-productive and needs to go. I would much rather know what I'm doing wrong than be left in the dark. Thanks to those of you who did comment on my comic thread Smile (and the ones who didn't but still checked the comic out).

Thankfully I don't think my comic is beyond help and I'm confident that it will only get better with time but I can see how the lack of comments in light of that etiquette rule could be devastating for someone who already have doubts about their work.

Of course no one can be expected to reply to every thread and no one should reply if they don't have anything constructive to say, so silence is still better than commenting for the sake of commenting or bashing someone's work gratuitously. But at least with that rule gone, no news can mean good news again.

Alternately, a simple rating or "like/dislike" system would be nice if it can be implemented in the forums. That way, even if you don't have anything to say, you can at least show your approval or disapproval anonymously to whoever post their comic.

Just my two pieces of eraser.

(edited because I suck at links)
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Webcomic List has generally been, in my opinion, more of a resource for writers rather than readers. Of course, there are some things for readers, and everybody is welcome on the forum, but in general most of the regulars around here either have been or are webcomickers. That makes us a lesser resource if you are trying to increase readership, but a greater resource if you are trying to get advice or share links.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFD wrote:
Alternately, a simple rating or "like/dislike" system would be nice if it can be implemented in the forums. That way, even if you don't have anything to say, you can at least show your approval or disapproval anonymously to whoever post their comic.

That's not very likely to happen, unfortunately. I can't remember what exactly the situation is, but it's something along the lines of the guy who runs the website doesn't have time for it anymore. The forum is running on outdated software, and the mods that are here only have so much power and wouldn't be able to do anything major.

As for that etiquette "rule," I agree it may not sound the best, but I really don't think that's why people aren't posting. It seems to me that most people who post that forum are looking to promote themselves without checking the other threads. There's a small handful of people who leave feedback for new posters, but a greater number of people who post in that forum and seem to not care about the rest of the board (though who knows).

I myself ignore threads that people use as update reminders. Except for ewomack's. But he's got funny titles.

wrote:
That makes us a lesser resource if you are trying to increase readership, but a greater resource if you are trying to get advice or share links.

I agree, but there's no reason a webcomic creator can't be a reader too. I think people that only create and don't look at what else is out there are going to have a harder time finding an audience.

As for getting comments/feedback on your comics: in my situation, most of the people who leave comments are webcomic creators that I leave comments for. I have a handful of people which I have no idea where they came from, but if you want comments, try leaving comments on comics you read.

Leaving comments also puts your URL out there, since a lot of sites use either Gravatar or Disqus. Gravatar lets you enter your URL each time, and you can attach your URL to your Disqus profile. (But obviously don't spam people's websites, leave legit comments.)

I'm not going to guarantee anything since everyone's experiences will be different, but people are inherently selfish. Take an interest in others and show them you like their stuff, then they may take a peak at yours and return the favor. I've more than once started reading a comic because the author left me comments.

Also, keep in mind that most of your readers just aren't going to say anything unless they think it's really warranted. But if they keep coming back, then they like something you're doing.

JFD wrote:
...and no one should reply if they don't have anything constructive to say...

I think in most situations, you can think of something positive to say to a person about their comic, even if it isn't your thing. A few kind words may help people feel like they aren't being ignored as well.
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its great if TWCL is used to help comic readers. But as a creator, having used it for support, information, collaboration with other creators, etc, my primary selfish motivation is to encourage TWCL's creator-centered side. Of course, anything that helps people helps people.

Right now, I think the main problem on the forum is that the core commenters have fallen off and gone on to other things. It's sort of my personal project right now to keep conversation going when it lulls. Theoretically, this will rebuild the core commenters in a chain reaction which will restore the activity on the site. That's my goal, for the moment. One day, I might even return to updating my comic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically. That's part of why I post in new members' comic threads and give unsolicited critiques.

But I honestly think this forum may be doomed, what with the broken profiles, various things outdated, and constant spam bots that can only be cleaned up and not prevented.

I'm mostly here because I've looked at the other options and I hate them. But I like the people here, and I like the non-wordpress/facebook format of the forum.
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Substance over style.

Perhaps one day the forum's bugs will be fixed. The broken profiles are obnoxious, but the rest is mostly livable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still super-active here. But then, I like kitchens and kitchen appliances.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need one of those stamps that they put on the side of fighter aircraft.

Kitchens deleted:
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas, you've got your work cut out for you today.
FlapjackStudios

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
There may also be various lifestyle changes and what not. People moving on to new careers, etc.

It may also be that we are the end of the Internet Generation, and perhaps we are now in the Smartphone Generation. These new kids just don't know how awesome it is to make web pages.

Those are two scary thoughts...

End of the internet generation. What would that be like? Like, the internet would just be a huge communications hub for talking, learning and gaming? No more money to be made online unless you're an online store. No more online hopes of grandeur, and making it big with websites like Facebook, twitter etc.

We very well could be heading there.

As far as smart phones, I think we have a ways to go before we get tired of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: