TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many people are still super active on here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many posts do you post a day?
None.
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
2-3
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
5+
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
10+
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

Gual-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, posts from this year! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gual-kun wrote:

I lol'ed.
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmasters wrote:
Gual-kun wrote:

I lol'ed.

Yes, that was a hard one not to guffaw at... and I don't use the word "guffaw" lightly... who does?
FlapjackStudios

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
Don't forget our friendly neighborhood spambots.

Do they actually count as hits for this? If so then that sucks a bit...

Unless you mean human spam bots...haha. They're still real even though they want to spam.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendyw wrote:
Ex-demonstration Kitchen Bot is one of our most enthusiastic users.

Haha who is that? That can't be a real users name on here, can it? Maybe bots should be a little more descrete...like Sarah2013 or something.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually pop into "Gubbins" once a day. I'm only here on Ramblings tonight because I'm looking for trouble. ; )

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
I've been more active recently. I dropped a bit after Christmas.

I know that forum conversation kind of feeds on itself. If nobody posts, then everyone assumes the forum is dead and they don't post. When people start posting opinions, other people start agreeing or disagreeing.

The last month or two, I've been furiously eradicating freekitchen spambots and monitoring forum conversation levels. I haven't been terribly consistent, but I've been trying to seed discussions by posting new questions or topics when the conversation runs dry.

A commendable effort! That's how conversations begin!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been much of a topic-starter, so I tend to wait for someone else to do it and jump in.

I try to reply to new people when they post their comics in the "Check out my comic" section, especially if their comics are short enough that I can read the archive in one sitting. (I tend to favor long-form over gags though.) I hope that by not ignoring people, they're more willing to stick around for actual discussion.

That's hit or miss though, since some people are here just to spam links though. (I have to wonder how many people actually use a forum thread as a way to follow a comic they read.) Without active discussions going, new people are less likely to stay.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not here as often anymore. I only make one comic a month now.
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There still seems to be action on the "check out my comics" thread... every comic still gets 100+ views, but comments remain pretty rare... so people are apparently still visiting but just not posting... that alone keeps me coming back...
JFD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't always feel comfortable commenting on comic threads mainly for two reasons : either the comic is in a genre or style that I'm not a fan of, which makes me think I wouldn't give it fair judgment, or the poster is a veteran, having done webcomics for years. In that case, I feel like my one month comic experience doesn't qualify me to comment.

I still read and check all of them though Smile
FlapjackStudios

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFD wrote:
I personally don't always feel comfortable commenting on comic threads mainly for two reasons : either the comic is in a genre or style that I'm not a fan of, which makes me think I wouldn't give it fair judgment, or the poster is a veteran, having done webcomics for years. In that case, I feel like my one month comic experience doesn't qualify me to comment.

I still read and check all of them though Smile

Well my friend you have just described the situation I currently am in! I'm about a year in but have just rebooted my comic so really, it's only a month or so worth of new story. My art is professional and I'm very happy with the story. Why not give it a try to see if it suits your tastes? It's called NFU: The Josh Neilson Story (or NFU for short).

http://flapjackstudios.com/nfu00.shtml

Last edited by FlapjackStudios on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlapjackStudios

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewomack wrote:
There still seems to be action on the "check out my comics" thread... every comic still gets 100+ views, but comments remain pretty rare... so people are apparently still visiting but just not posting... that alone keeps me coming back...

There needs to more RL comments. That's why I'm commenting right now! Haha. I'm hoping that the section you mentioned isn't getting hit with not views...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewomack wrote:
Actually, the threads get 100+ views, but the actual visits to the webcomic sites are significantly less than that, at least from my experience. The place I host my comic keeps track of page views and I'm still barely breaking fifty in a seven-day period. Though lately I started a better ad campaign so hopefully that'll change.

Comments of any kind would be nice, really, whether they be words of encouragement or criticism; at least then I'd know people here are reading my comic. And on that note, the whole thing in the Feedback Etiquette thread about "If your comic is beyond help, just don't say anything" is incredibly discouraging and needs to be changed, especially in this site's inactive state.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar situation, though it's not really a cause for worrying since my comic is new (build it and they will come, they say), I get about 30 views a day, but about 10 unique visitors. Traffic from TWCL to my site is very low. My top referrer (has been from day 1) is The Belfry WebComics List . I plan to use more effective means of promotion in the future, such as Project Wonderful, Google Adsense and maybe purchase an Ad spot here and there when I have a more decent archive to advertise (30+ pages).

I heartily agree with AdamTTnJ - the "If your comic is beyond help, just don't say anything" rule in the etiquette thread is like saying not voting is a good way to let your government know it sucks. It's counter-productive and needs to go. I would much rather know what I'm doing wrong than be left in the dark. Thanks to those of you who did comment on my comic thread Smile (and the ones who didn't but still checked the comic out).

Thankfully I don't think my comic is beyond help and I'm confident that it will only get better with time but I can see how the lack of comments in light of that etiquette rule could be devastating for someone who already have doubts about their work.

Of course no one can be expected to reply to every thread and no one should reply if they don't have anything constructive to say, so silence is still better than commenting for the sake of commenting or bashing someone's work gratuitously. But at least with that rule gone, no news can mean good news again.

Alternately, a simple rating or "like/dislike" system would be nice if it can be implemented in the forums. That way, even if you don't have anything to say, you can at least show your approval or disapproval anonymously to whoever post their comic.

Just my two pieces of eraser.

(edited because I suck at links)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: