TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Out of Season" Webcomics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justinfh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: "Out of Season" Webcomics Reply with quote

How do you feel about Webcomics that's posted in the winter, but the story takes place in the summer, or vice versa?
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as I read story based webcomics rather than say, gag a day or slice of life type comes... in longform comics days often stretch out for say, a good year of the comic's time, and readers often don't read update to update, but many, including myself, will read chunks at a time... I don't really care, because I don't expect my comic reading to reflect my reality. Likewise, some comics are made by say, Australians.

So I would say that this is really only relevant if you read gag a day/slice of life type comics that were made by a creator in your half of the world.

Actually, what pulls me out of the 'zone' as it were, is when I read Christmas comics for the type of comics that do follow the seasons, and it's like... July.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:
I don't really care, because I don't expect my comic reading to reflect my reality.

Metruis wrote:
Actually, what pulls me out of the 'zone' as it were, is when I read Christmas comics for the type of comics that do follow the seasons, and it's like... July.

Basically both of these. The off-season holiday thing isn't that big of a deal, but it is more of a snap back to reality.

I can watch A Christmas Story anytime of the year and enjoy it. It fits the atmosphere better if I watch it in December, but if I really want to watch it in July, that's not a problem.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started listening to Christmas music in January and am still going. >_>
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "Out of Season" Webcomics Reply with quote

Justinfh wrote:
How do you feel about Webcomics that's posted in the winter, but the story takes place in the summer, or vice versa?

That's kind of a weird thought for me, a comic's a make-believe world, I don't expect it to tie in with anything I'm experiencing in the real world. Ditto for reading novels, watching movies, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "Out of Season" Webcomics Reply with quote

Justinfh wrote:

I'm guessing you are also reading El Goonish Shive.

I'm not going to lie that is feels odd when the comic references specific occasions that are on the opposite side of the calendar, but I don't *REALLY* have a problem with it. A comic shouldn't just be about appeasing the current readers and making references to trending and current events. A comic should really strive to be longer-lasting than that.
If there is an actual story, the story should take precedence over the real-world's timeline, it needs to tell the tale that needs to be told. If that means dragging a winter out even through summer because only a week has passed in the comic, then so be it. If that means jumping straight ahead to Christmas time when in real life it is May, then so be it.

The story should not be backseat to when the story was posted.
Sylvia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comic is like this. It's been going for 4 years, and in the comic, only about 6 months have passed. I haven't gotten to a holiday season yet - I don't know what time of year it will actually be when I do.

When I read other comics that do this, I actually like it, because it means that the comics aren't restraining themselves trying to fit into actual time. It makes me think that the comic has good priorities for the long-run.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just figure that it's a necessary evil of storytelling.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I disagree with in this thread is listening to Christmas music all year long... oh boy... how do you do it?!?!?!?

Laughing
MindChimera

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like Christmas music at any time of year. I'm a Scrooge when it comes to that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Interesting question, but the answer is simple. The same. I feel the same. Although reading a comic in winter about the summer would just make me want summer break to come faster. Haha.
--------------------------
Sylvia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say though, drawing summer comics in winter feels so COLD to me - I'm wearing sweatshirts and heavy socks, and I'm drawing these characters in tank tops. They look like they're freezing.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't notice the comparison of seasons, as long as the story is flowing in a single arc. In my own comics, which are set in Houston, since there's almost no real change of seasons, here, the only way to tell the time of year at all was with my Christmas one-shots.
Gual-kun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought about seasons, maybe only holidays but not so much, either. Well, the place where I live is tropical and don't have seasons so...

Now I'm wondering if someone has any issue with the "forever summer" in my comics XD.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just assume that you're from Australia.

--------------------
http://cardboard-crack.tumblr.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: