TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crowdfunding campaigns are nerve-wracking!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you want a crowd-funding campaign to be successful it needs to be a full-time job.

...Why can't you just use print on demand?
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't debate that formal printing makes a work feel more official, but honestly, unless you're popular enough to show up in a Barnes and Noble, I kinda find it limiting.
With the formal printing you only get so many copies. People who find your comic later can't get a printed copy if they are all sold out. People who want a printed copy now but don't have the money until later also can't buy them if they are all sold out. They kind of become a "you had to be there" experience, which can become a real bummer for a lot of folks. I finally have a little bit of cash but I can't buy the first two Dr. McNinja books. I don't stand a chance of buying anything older like Melonpool or early Sluggy.

Perhaps the best solution is to do a formal print and then switch over to POD once those are all sold, but nobody ever seems to have that mindset. Instead we got all these comic that people can't buy.

...Do us a favor and set an example for the rest of us, will ya?
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep forgetting IndieGoGo exists Razz

Any reason for them instead of kickstarter?
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^And UK.

I guess I forgot that they were in Canada.
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4LS wrote:
or is there evidence that people stop giving as much if the official target has been passed, so it's better to take a risk and aim big?

When I was looking at making a campaign, I initially thought they'd do better when they have that sense of urgency because "the projects NEEDS your help or it won't get off the ground!"
But when I started doing research, the sites themselves suggested that more people are interested in a project that is fully funded because it looks like its success is a sure thing.

But I kinda wonder if the stats they are looking at are a little slanted. This comes down to things that can't be quantifiably studied. Some project just get more attention, some projects are just more of something people want to see happen. Truth be told, there's a dozen other aspects that will have greater influence on a person deciding to donate or not; how much money has been funded is not going to make or break a person's donation.
CardboardCrack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks to be going well. Congrats, you should be happy!
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I think the KS that are at/above their goal are somewhat more popular. No other reasons needed other than they know they can get what's listed.

It also seems that projects are popular right at the beginning and right at the end of the campaigns. the middle is really slow and there might be a few days where no one donates anything. I think it has something to do with ho stuff is listed on the site and when they send out reminders about campaigns.

Truthfully though, I prefer Kickstarter to IndieGoGo. For one, they don't charge me until the campaign has ended (and has reached it's goal). And it doesn't give the money to the fundee unless they make their goal. It just feels like I've been had if I donate money and they don't get funds to complete the project.
egypturnash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any trouble funding book 1 of my comic; I launched the campaign on a Saturday (which everyone who has an opinion on launch dates says is death) and reached my goal by Sunday evening. Admittedly my goal of $2400 was pretty modest, and it ended up being a long climb to hit my stretch goal of $6k for spot gloss throughout the book.

I think the second campaign will be a lot less stressful on me. I've been through it; I know the shape of these things now. And I know a few things not to do!
Marooned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, BTW Tara. I concur, very, very stressful. My KS is running right now, and even though it was funded in 9 days, it's been crazy trying to keep up with comments, suggestions and stretch goals. Every time an email comes in, I want to see if it's a backer.

I thought I was decently prepared, but I wasn't nearly enough. Getting the word out is hard and time consuming, but I am learning a lot.

I use POD, and I have a great printer that I used in the past. We may even hit the hardcover stretch goal soon.

SO yeah, fun, but crazy. Tara is right about credibility too. For me, my stuff is already done (except for bonus items) and I think that has really helped me. My books will go to the printer as soon as I get the funds.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tdellaringa/marooned-the-graphic-novel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: There is a method to the madness Reply with quote

Interesting comments. I've raised over $400k in the last year with crowdfunding but it wasn't always a smooth process. Like you I was constantly checking the page and hoping. Then I got smart and started learning how to set up my campaigns so backers came BEFORE anything went live. There's a few simple hacks and tricks to attract PR, find influencers on Twitter, and secrets to getting email addresses. Once learned, you write your own ticket to success. I share them all here.

https://madhatteragency.leadpages.net/crowdfunding101/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: