TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you're looking for a cheap domain name...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: If you're looking for a cheap domain name... Reply with quote

...where would you go, who would you trust?

An internet search produces a mountain of results, many of which progress through oddly familiar screens until suddenly "cheap" got left at the door, for only $$$ per month...

Anyone you'd recommend?

If this is a frequently asked question, so sorry!
Resident Loony Detector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 1&1 Web Hoisting, which costs about $45 a year.

S*P*Q*R
chasecorbeau

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandar, you mean hosting, right? Not domain names... O.o

Most hosting companies that are any good will give you one free domain name with a 2 year hosting package nowadays.

Domains should not cost over $10/yr each.

Hosting should cost under $10/mo unless you have a dedicated server, which most of us don't need yet.
Alley Oooooooop

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chasecorbeau wrote:
Pandar, you mean hosting, right? Not domain names... O.o

I have long suspected that Lord Pandar is a bot that crawls TWCL in search of topics to post generic replies to. Another one for the Unsubstantiated rumor thread.
fesworks
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoDaddy.com

And do a google search for "GoDaddy Promo Codes" and see what you can find to help bring down the price, at least for the first year.

still .com and .net domains are fairly cheap per year already.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com
Lord Pandar
Resident Loony Detector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emurdaugh wrote:
I have long suspected that Lord Pandar is a bot that crawls TWCL in search of topics to post generic replies to. Another one for the Unsubstantiated rumor thread.

Ha ha ha! Very funny, emurdaugh, I thought you'd say that! I have been known to post generic replies to. And I also love the Unsubstantiated rumor thread! Also, cheap viagr!

S*P*Q*R
sophielynette

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Home level 1and1.com hosting, and it came with 2 domains. I also have a third domain through Godaddy.com Don't ask me how much I pay, frankly, I don't pay attention anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how anyone who has ever wanted a domain name can stand to use GoDaddy, because when I was looking for domains a while back nearly everything I came up with was taken by some squatter with a GoDaddy account. When I investigated, I found GoDaddy was actually recommending this behavior right on their website, and while I suppose it lands them a lot of money, it's annoying for people who want webpages and I'm sure 99% of the people "investing" in domain names will never see a payoff.
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, 1and1.com looks pretty good, 2 domain names included for $4.99 a month (some sites charge as much just for a .com domain name and nothing else!) plus heaps of server space.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsilverfish wrote:
I don't know how anyone who has ever wanted a domain name can stand to use GoDaddy, because when I was looking for domains a while back nearly everything I came up with was taken by some squatter with a GoDaddy account. When I investigated, I found GoDaddy was actually recommending this behavior right on their website, and while I suppose it lands them a lot of money, it's annoying for people who want webpages and I'm sure 99% of the people "investing" in domain names will never see a payoff.

It depends a bit on why they're buying up the domain names. I've bought about a dozen domain names recently because I'm starting a new web business within a year but I'm still up in the air as to what the best name should be. Domain names are cheap enough that it's convenient to brainstorm up a whole batch, see which are available and then put them on hold for a few months until you've figured out which one is best. I haven't yet figured out what I'll do with the losing web domains, but I'm happy to just let them lapse in a year. It's worth a couple of hundred bucks to me to have a good web domain that I like rather than to lose it days before I'm ready to register.

However I agree that GoDaddy tends to upsell a bit too vigorously. I'm registering with them, and if you're not careful you'll end up buying much more than you need. You've got to wade though many pages of stuff screaming at you to buy absolutely everything just to get a single domain name. The only feature I'd think is worth considering is the privacy protection, which I need at the moment as I don't have a landline phone number to give as my home contact number (you need one for the database; you can get challenged on that, I think).
rakshina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: If you're looking for a cheap domain name... Reply with quote

dpat57 wrote:
...where would you go, who would you trust?

An internet search produces a mountain of results, many of which progress through oddly familiar screens until suddenly "cheap" got left at the door, for only $$$ per month...

Anyone you'd recommend?

If this is a frequently asked question, so sorry!

In my experience, 9cubehosting.com is a good provider . I have registered my domain name with them . still, they are providing good service and support .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: