TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who reads web comics?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarolinaJones

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Who reads web comics? Reply with quote

Hi all --

I was just curious, for those of you who host your own web comics, where do you find the majority of the traffic comes from? America, the UK, Canada, Zimbabwe?

Thanks! Very Happy
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the traffic for my focus comic comes from the UK. For TMR (for which I only do the art), it seems to be Brazil by a substantial amount (along with almost 40k likes on FB-- whaa?). I'm not involved in the marketing of it so I couldn't comment much on that. .
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far, the majority of my traffic comes from the US. Canada is second (I'm Canadian), and then the UK.

What's more peculiar is when I use Google Analytics to look at traffic by major cities. There, the top three are Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa. (Actually, there's one tier above those labelled "Not Set".) Makes sense, since I go to a lot of shows around here. Next is Dronten, and I had to look up where in the world that was. (In the chart by countries, the Netherlands comes in at number six.) And only after that do I get the first US city, New York.

Interesting to look at, but don't ask me to make any sense of it.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. Same thing as ttallan. US, Canada and then third place - UK. I haven't the faintest idea why. I'm from Israel (7th place on Google Analytics), never even been to America or Europe and my comic isn't even in English (wordless) so there's no reason for English-speaking countries to be more interested in it.
I don't know what it means.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

80% of mine is from the US, 4% Canada, 3% UK. Those are my highest, so everywhere else makes up the remaining 13%. This makes sense to me though, since the only ad campaign I have running is during sunlight hours for the U.S., and my comic is in English.

My guess is that people from the US/UK/Canada are the most likely to read and share webcomics, but I don't really have anything to support that. Also larger population sizes.
Jops

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my traffic comes from the US. The state of California alone gives me about the same traffic i get from Canada, which, i must say, is only marginally more than what i get from Germany, Netherlands or UK (the numbers between these 3 countries are about the same).

Then there's Sweden, Finland, France, New Zealand Austria and Australia that generate about 1/3rd of the non-american traffic.

The rest of the world is just a handful of hits. Too few to be actually taken into account.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S., then Canada, then random locations here and there. Perhaps everyone could assist me in researching this further by expanding my sample size of hits?

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the same as everyone else... the vast majority comes from US, Canada, UK and Europe. It's been that way for 6 years and I doubt it will change.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... if your comic is in English, I'm pretty sure that US, Canada and UK will be the highest on the list (and maybe a large-ish number from Australia). While many other countries know the language, they have a pride thing with their own language and may not have a fluency level high enough to understand all the jokes or idioms that there are in the English language.
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have most traffic coming from US, then Mexico (where I am from), then usually a close tie between Canada and Germany. Then there is small percentage from Poland, Peru, Colombia and Russia

Cheers
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

68% of my traffic comes from the US, and my second-highest country, at 5.6%, is Cananda. Not at all surprising.
But a bit surprising is my third-highest country, at 5.2%, is Germany, not the UK (which trails Germany at 4.7%.) Not what I thought I'd see when I went to check.

5: Nigeria
6: Australia
7: Slovenia
8 & 9: France & Italy
10 & 11: Brazil & Denmark

You know its kinda sad that comics can't get translated as easily as other web pages. All the text is part of an image.
Corysaurus

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this makes me wonder which webcomics are most popular in French, Spanish, or German.
DirtyDinoRock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guys advertise that you're getting such far flung locales from your readership? Or is it just from Google hits or something?
SamuraiTaiga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDinoRock wrote:
How do you guys advertise that you're getting such far flung locales from your readership? Or is it just from Google hits or something?

You can use a Flag Counter or similar

http://s07.flagcounter.com/index.html
egypturnash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what Project Wonderful says about one of my ad boxes for the past week.

2345: United States
212: Canada
119: Mexico
77: Australia
47: United Kingdom
21: Finland
11: Iran, Islamic Republic of
9: New Zealand
9: Russian Federation
8: Netherlands

I'm American, so I'm not terribly surprised that I'm mostly read by other Americans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: