TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick Poll: Ladies only!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do women usually want the toilet LID (not seat) kept up or down?
Up
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Down
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

Marscaleb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Quick Poll: Ladies only! Reply with quote

So let me start off here and say that the house the bulk of my comic takes place in is inhabited solely by womenfolk. I don't know why I am writing this; I grew up in a house without females, sans my mother. And then I moved out and lived in homes with no females at all. I kind of don't have the personal experience on how to arrange a few details.

So in my comic's next page, a character will visit the bathroom, and the toilet may be visible. I am loosely aware of this ongoing struggle between menfolk and womenfolk over the condition in which the toilet is left. And since it seems to be a big issue, I want to make sure that I'm dealing with it properly.
Now I know that the SEAT should be left down, I get that. But here in the bathroom next to the bedrooms, in a house inhabited only by women, exactly what condition should the LID be usually kept? Do women usually want the lip to be kept down, or up?

Please do not answer the poll unless you have it on good authority how women want this situation handled when not in the presence of men.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have the required parts and I'm putting off going to bed, I'll give my own opinion.

I used to put the lid down because I'd heard somewhere that doing so helps keep the bathroom cleaner (not the toilet, just the bathroom in general), but now I don't really care. My limited impressions are that the types that would put the lid down would also decorate the bathroom - I don't do this either. Mostly because I'm poor, but I also have no sense of interior design.

Just because they're women doesn't mean they can't be messy or just oddballs. Maybe all but one of them don't think it's a big deal, but that last one is incredibly anal about it. I take it that this is probably something so minor that it won't need to be addressed in the comic (unless you wanted to do something with Zak causing problems since he's adjusting), but I think it's good to think about how characters act in various situations.

If it helps: I leave the toilet lid up, but I'm pretty messy and non-decorative in general. When I change my cockatiel's water bowl, I usually dump the water into the toilet (because he's stupid and sometimes his droppings land in his water) and lift the seat up when I do that. Then when I come back in later, I get confused and think "who's been in here!?"

The female roommate I used to have also didn't care to put down the toilet lid.

Last edited by MindChimera on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
OhRenee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer up - if I'm stumbling around at night I don't like to put my bare bum on the cold lid, then have to fumble around trying to get it open. That's the main reason - I'm lazy.
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
My limited impressions are that the types that would put the lid down would also decorate the bathroom.

I certainly DO get the impression that if I have the lid down I should have a fuzzy cover on it.

MindChimera wrote:
Then when I come back in later, I get confused and think "who's been in here!?"

Laughing out loud.
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm the furthest thing from having a decorator's mindset, or being particularly tidy for that matter, but please put the seat down in my house. Just one experience of having accidentally dropped a good brush into the bowl was enough of a learning experience for me.

FWIW there are also no fuzzy seat covers in my house.

And while we're debating bathroom esthetics, the TP goes over, not under. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the fuzzy covers, if only because then I can pull on the cover to open the lid instead of reaching down that extra half-inch or so to grab under the lid.

I'm the type that will drop things in the toilet, but I don't learn my lesson, so it keeps happening.

And agreed on the TP, haha.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toilet paper goes over for a reason. When you reach to touch it, if you're grabbing and it comes from the bottom, you might touch the toilet paper that you're not actually using and contaminate the roll for the next person--which might not seem like a big deal, and really, it's probably not in your personal home, but when you're cleaning a hospital and the person who grabbed that roll might be covered in infectious shit (literally) having that tiny extra bit of protection does keep from someone potentially accidentally giving themselves ass cheek plague.

ANYWAY I flip rolls the right way around when I encounter them the wrong way, and tear off the bit that was exposed. But I don't put my toilet seat down unless I'm setting a towel on it to shower or something (because I have no vanity). Reason being, when I stumble to pee in the night I don't want anything in my way.

Unsurprisingly, there is no fuzzy cover on my toilet seat. I am not a toilet cozy gal. And yes, I know flushing it with the seat open spreads germs but WHATEVER they're just my ass germs and I can't give myself herpes or butthole cancer. It's different when it's not my own toilet.

Unsurprisingly, my apartment is pretty messy.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toilet rolls mostly go over the top in my home because the rollers are place on the wall opposite the toilet and the extra one or two inches afforded by the top arrangement allow my tiny wife to reach it.
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:
And yes, I know flushing it with the seat open spreads germs but WHATEVER they're just my ass germs and I can't give myself herpes or butthole cancer. It's different when it's not my own toilet.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing spread by flushing a toilet that does not spread whether the lid is up or not. The only thing flushing can do is flick up tin tiny flecks of water, and guess what? Those tiny flecks of water just fall down again. They are not water vapor so they don't float around in the air.
The only thing that CAN spread are microscopic air-borne particles, and they spread just because they were expelled; they are not spread any more by your flushing. And those microscopic particles tend to not be anything harmful; they float EVERYHWERE so we have some pretty good immunities against them.

Toiler paper goes over the roll because the roll-hangers are always placed too low and too close to the wall; you can't break off a piece where you need it without taking extra effort, or leaving have a revolution of paper then hanging.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell that to IPC in my hospital. Rolls HAVE TO GO OVER THE TOP because someone might get ASS CANCER from the last person who TOUCHED it with their CONTAMINATED HANDS!!11 I'm not even kidding. I got my head tore off when I started because I put the rolls on the wrong way. Because it meant the roll might get conTAAAAAAAAMINATED. I'm pretty sure if I got reemed out about this there is some truth to it and they wouldn't have made up some bullshit about protecting the rest of the roll if it was just so it was easier for short people to grab? We're also not allowed to leave spare rolls in the bathroom even in plastic covers, or put almost empty rolls on top of the new roll so we don't have to waste. Because the whole roll might get contaminated. I can't make this up.

Hell, tell that to all the women who hover over toilet seats. I'm not actually one of them. I have a pretty good track record for sitting on public toilets and not getting herpes/crabs/buttholecancer. I close other people's toilets if they want them closed because they want them closed and I'm respectful of that. And anyway, the water that splashes out of toilets is dirty water and probably fairly gross. My toilet spits water everywhere when I flush it so I'm pretty sure it is a germ spewing monster.

Like I said. They're just my ass germs. They're already in my toothbrush. On my phone. On my tablet. I watched some study that proved fecal bacteria is literally everywhere in your house so it doesn't matter, we're already pretty immune to it.

Goodness, though, just reading your reply is reminding me why I haven't been posting here very much. I really ought to just delete my TWCL bookmark, it's frustrating that if I come here and post it's just to get snapped at by you. I feel a bit like it's actually impossible to instigate discussion here anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:
Tell that to IPC in my hospital. Rolls HAVE TO GO OVER THE TOP because someone might get ASS CANCER from the last person who TOUCHED it with their CONTAMINATED HANDS!!11 I'm not even kidding. I got my head tore off when I started because I put the rolls on the wrong way. Because it meant the roll might get conTAAAAAAAAMINATED. I'm pretty sure if I got reemed out about this there is some truth to it and they wouldn't have made up some bullshit about protecting the rest of the roll if it was just so it was easier for short people to grab? We're also not allowed to leave spare rolls in the bathroom even in plastic covers, or put almost empty rolls on top of the new roll so we don't have to waste. Because the whole roll might get contaminated. I can't make this up.

No that's a real issue, especially for a public restroom. I used to work as a janitor, and I've seen the kind of things people do to restrooms. I wouldn't want to leave clean wrapped roll in there for those monsters to handle.

When I was stating why toilet paper rolls hang over the roll, I was talking about my reasons for it. I hat having to bend over and man -handle the wall to get a few squares. I don't think short people have this problem.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, the top sheets of toilet paper are already contaminated. The flushing action of a toilet aerosolizes the bacteria-carrying water and sends it swirling out in an invisible cloud that (according to some studies) can reach a radius of up to ten feet. The cleanest, least contaminated area in a bathroom with an uncovered toilet is the toilet seat itself.

Of course, in a co-habitation situation, if anyone's getting new germs in the bathroom, then they must be living the rest of their lives encased in Lucite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: