TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get Twitter users from scratch?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: How to get Twitter users from scratch? Reply with quote

I started a webcomic some weeks ago, and I would like to get users 'without help of my friends'. That is, with not

I have a Twitter account and a Facebook one. On facebook, I invested $5 on ads and I get 75 likes. That way it does not look so empty... I also have a twitter account, but i don't know what to do to get some followers... Now, I only have 1.

Maybe it's too early to worry about this (my webcomic only has 3 weeks old), but I don't know what to do. I followed some other artists and commented gently on his tweets but I'm not getting nothing back...

Any advice?

Thank you!
MindChimera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to start this post by saying I'm incredibly terrible at all things social media. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Something to note is that people on Twitter have a tendancy to follow back. Following people en masse might get you a few bites to start. Since you're a webcomic creator, obviously follow other webcomic creators. I noticed you're following some big-names in your short list. You may be better off following smaller comics. They may be more likely to notice your follow and return it.

Looking at your twitter feed, this is an account I would honestly pass up because all of your tweets so far have links or images attached. I'm more interested in people than advertising. So I like to follow comic creators that talk rather than just post links and images.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
I'm going to start this post by saying I'm incredibly terrible at all things social media. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Something to note is that people on Twitter have a tendancy to follow back. Following people en masse might get you a few bites to start. Since you're a webcomic creator, obviously follow other webcomic creators. I noticed you're following some big-names in your short list. You may be better off following smaller comics. They may be more likely to notice your follow and return it.

Looking at your twitter feed, this is an account I would honestly pass up because all of your tweets so far have links or images attached. I'm more interested in people than advertising. So I like to follow comic creators that talk rather than just post links and images.

Thank you for your advice! I'm also really bad with social media, but I'll try it in your way. Thanks again!
fluffy
is not a fish.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow people you're interested in, engage in conversation, and post links to your work. Be genuine.

i am a busy bee
Lindemannade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with @MindChimera and @fluffy - be genuine, and try to tweet more than just links to your comics and try to genuinely interact if you get the chance. I'm also at a similar point of having started recently and only having 11 followers (of which only 4 or 5 aren't disturbing spambots) but it's early days and I enjoy chiming in with other smaller webcomic creators, so try and have fun with it - although having said that you've already gotten to over 200 facebook likes and that's pretty great so early on (it's certainly better than my zero Wink I may throw a few bucks at facebook too when my comic's a little further along). Having said all that the strip about saving the computer won me over so you've got my like and follow, but yeah, engage, have fun, be genuine, all that good stuff!
MindChimera

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I should have brought this up sooner, but you should watch this before considering buying likes. It's well worth watching the whole thing.

I haven't bought Facebook likes and I'm sitting at 39 right now. I often find that my "# people saw this post" for a post is more than that, though.

Your money is better spent investing in Project Wonderful, for several reasons. To start, many webcomics let you place ads for free (for a max of two days) if there's no minimum bid. So if you're really pinching pennies, just search for $0 publishers.
You can also manually comics that are similar to your own, so you reach a more targeted audience. You can literally spend just a few cents a week if that's what you want.

The big drawback to Project Wonderful is, to really get a good turnout from it, you have to do all your own research. What works for me may not work for you (and vice versa) and figuring out what sites are a good buy for your comic takes some time and effort.

Oh, and despite having less followers on Facebook than I do on Twitter, my Facebook hits outnumber my Twitter hits by quite a bit. So keep in mind that having a higher number may look better to outsides, but doesn't guarantee you'll be getting more views.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd always thought advertising on Facebook seemed a bit odd... methinks I'll pass on spending money there then, and yeah I've looked into Project Wonderful a fair bit and I'll give that a shot when I've got a few more comics up!
JFD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me stingy, but it will be a long time before I decide to give any money to Facebook. After they pulled that thing off where people liking my page may or may not see my updates unless I pay extra, they'll wait for it.

I definitely will invest in advertisement on this website, topwebcomics and Project Wonderful when I feel the time is right though. From that, I expect that twitter and Facebook followers will come.
Mildegard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Mon and Fri (when I post my webcomic updates) I write about new page in Twitter and then go and follow 100 people who draw or just like comics. They easily can be found in the lists of followers of some famous comic makers or comic communities.
Next week I check out who followed me back and unfollow those who didn't (well, most of them).
Slowly, my list of followers becomes longer and people start finding me on their own.

Conversations, interesting twits, retweets and hashtags also help, I think Smile
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mildegard wrote:
Every Mon and Fri (when I post my webcomic updates) I write about new page in Twitter and then go and follow 100 people who draw or just like comics. They easily can be found in the lists of followers of some famous comic makers or comic communities.
Next week I check out who followed me back and unfollow those who didn't (well, most of them).
Slowly, my list of followers becomes longer and people start finding me on their own.

Conversations, interesting twits, retweets and hashtags also help, I think Smile

How many of the people that follow back actually interact with you? How many hits does your site get from Twitter? How does your follower count reflect how many people click to see your comic?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
How many of the people that follow back actually interact with you? How many hits does your site get from Twitter? How does your follower count reflect how many people click to see your comic?

I have 184 followers for now, and there are 5 people who interact with me. They ask questions about the plot and so on. I don't know whether it's few or many or ok.
According to my site statistics there are about 10 people come from twitter links each week. But I doubt it says anything about follower count reflecting how many readers came from twitter. They could have added my comic to their bookmarks, for instance. But amount of my readers do increase slowly each week. Maybe twitter helps.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
Oh, I should have brought this up sooner, but you should watch this before considering buying likes. It's well worth watching the whole thing.

Oh man! I knew it was bad; I didn't know it was *that* bad. >_<

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conversations are the best for any social media, but RT'ing and sharing cool content, yours and others beats any paid schemes for getting followers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: A Facebook Trick That Worked for Me Reply with quote

Here is a trick I accidentally discovered on FB. I'd set up a fan page for my comic, and was just messing around with the ads. I went through the entire process of building the ad to see how it worked, but then DID NOT BUY IT, or complete the process.

Much to my surprise, the next day I received a $50 FB ad credit. I went ahead and made the ad, and set my spending limits to $50. I got about 100 new 'likes' from this and didn't spend ANY money.

I don't know if this will work for everyone, and I've tried to get it to work again, without success. It was a one-time promo deal for me, but if you're curious about FB ads it couldn't hurt to give this a shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomics and Real Life All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: