TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A good day

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmasters

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: A good day Reply with quote

I'm in the mood to ramble, generally. "Today was a good day" to quote Ice Tea, or Ice Cube, or Ice Cream, or somebody, the one with the cool song. Many of my days are better described as the Devil's own fucking day and easily forgotten, but today was worth sharing; no reply needed.

I set out in the afternoon with two objectives, job hunting and picking up some stuff for my kid's birthday. I hit the jackpot with stuff-hunting, and the job-hunting may have not panned out but I think I made a good impression in a couple locations. The stuff-hunting worked out at this place called "Tuesday Morning;" don't know if any of you have heard of them but they have peculiar eclectic stuff at super-low prices.

This old fellow approaches on the same aisle and he has one of those military vet ball caps, right, the ones that say "WWII" or "U.S.S. Whatever" and generally when I see this I strike up a conversation because A, I'm a history buff and B, if you're going to wear a cap that says "Battle of the Bulge" or "U.S.S. Yorktown" or whatever you're probably aware a history geek is going to try to shoot the shit with you, and you're probably okay with it.

I see enough of it to see "173rd Airborne" and the guy is young enough to fit the profile so I say "Ah, Vietnam." And he says yes, and I say "The Herd" which surprises him and he says unless you were in the unit it's unusual for someone to know the nickname. I literally know nothing else about the unit except it was nicknamed "the Herd" and was in Vietnam, but I told him I'm a history buff, like to talk to vets, etc. We chat for a moment but the main thing he seemed to want to stress was what an awful experience it was coming home and getting a shit reception. There was a second of awkwardness, and I said "Well, welcome home sir" and shook his hand and he said thank you. It was a very sincere and gentle moment, or maybe it just seemed extremely so because I am (don't blame me, blame the media) a sarcastic bastard and like too many of us revel in cheap irony and cheap laughs and sometimes sincerity has to sneak up on me and slap me in the face.

Later in the day I ate a late meal at Chick-Fil-A, always a key "Good Day" experience. I don't at all agree with their position on so-called "family values" and their overt anti-gay stance, so frankly, I don't upsize my meals. Won't do it. That's me being me.

This young guy in the parking lot had his hood up and needed a jump so I helped him and got him on his way. I just wrote two long paragraphs about it but have deleted them, because basically, "this young guy...etc." But it made me feel good to help him. He was really worried.

The end.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
topjimcomics

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great! Yeah, it's a shame that the military got the shaft back then when coming home.

Your "good deed" counter gains +2!
Congratulations!
You've unlocked the achievement, "I'm A-OK"
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The military didn't get the shaft back then. Military spending between 1964 and 1976 was at an all-time high for a peacetime US military. The soldiers, sailors, and airmen got the shaft, especially in the sense that they were shamed and derided by their countrymen.

Sadly, it hasn't gotten a lot better in the interim. Now, our committed fighting men and women get the banners and the handshakes, and that's it. Veterans returning from foreign theatres find themselves faced with the worst US economy since the 30's, and even Guard and Reserve members whose jobs are supposed to be secure during their deployment, find themselves laid off or facing reduced hours that make continued employment impossible.

Serving members, while receiving minimal wage increases, receive far fewer benefits than their predecessors did. Commissaries and Base (Post) Exchanges offer no real discounts, and gods help you if you find yourself stationed away from a large base with a hospital, because you'll have to pay full medical for your family on what amounts to a Wal-Mart salary (back in the day, military dependents were covered by CHAMPUS a sort of government-backed insurance that paid all medical expenses for dependents unable to be treated at a military hospital--a situation more common than you might think).

Sorry for putting a downer in your "Good Day" thread, mcm, but it had to be said. Seriously, if you're an American and you're not incensed by the complete screwing our service-men and women are getting, then either you need to read up on what they actual get for their service, or there's something seriously wrong with you.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you're going to find anybody disagreeing with that CN. It's not a secret that we treat our soldiers and vets shabbily.

Topjim- thanks! But I need a bunch more to get back to even...

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
mcmasters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Military spending between 1964 and 1976 was at an all-time high for a peacetime US military.

How was that peacetime?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: