TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monitor vs. tablet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Monitor vs. tablet Reply with quote

I am at last in a position to replace my 4-yr-old laptop. I'm buying another Mac, because that's the religion in this household. Anyway, I'm looking for advice about what size monitor to get, 21" or 27".

Right now I'm working with a 15" laptop. My tablet is an Intuos 3 (measures about 10" across the diagonal). If I go from a 15" monitor to a 27", will the significantly larger size make working with my old tablet really frustrating? I seem to recall hearing people complain about the size ratios, and that their tablets are too small. I'd rather not wind up having to buy a new tablet on top of everything else, if I can avoid it. Will I be happier working on a smaller screen with my tablet? Or is a larger monitor the most important thing?

I don't do all my artwork on the computer, but I do spend many hours a week cleaning the scanned pages and colouring, and I'm really looking forward to doing that stuff on a faster machine.

Advice appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 13" Air with a 6.75x4.5" intuos4 (8" diagonal).

I also plug that Mac into a 24" external monitor and use it with a bluetooth keyboard and an 8.25x6.5" intuos3 (10.5" diagonal). Maybe the same model tablet you have - PTZ-630? I don't think using your old tablet is likely to be a problem.

The only way I can really see it being a problem is if your tablet is very definitely not widescreen and your new screen is. They you'll either have to have a dead area across the top and/or bottom of the tablet, or uncheck the "force proportions" box in the mapping tab of the Wacom prefs, which is only great if you like moving your hand in a circle and getting an oval.

ALSO, a word of advice: if you decide to move up from the stand that comes with your monitor to an adjustable arm, spend the $50 or so extra to get a spring-loaded/gas-powered/otherwise-assisted arm. It makes it a LOT easier to move the monitor around to deal with different work postures, or turn it to portrait mode. Oh wait you're talking about moving from a laptop to an iMac aren't you? Maybe never mind this paragraph. Though apparently a VESA mount is a built-to-order option for iMacs, which could be pretty cool.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I do feel frustrated sometimes at the size difference between my tablet and my monitor-- I have an older Intuos 3 Medium (6x8), while my computer screen I believe is 22". The issue is at least partly related to my tablet not being widescreen while the monitor is, but another part is that I like to paint fairly gesturally and this can have unfortunate results when I'm working on the small surface of the tablet but looking at the much larger screen. Sometimes it feels sort of cramped and I start resenting being forced to work in little twitches of my fingers instead of larger strokes. I'm looking forward to the day when I get a new tablet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Monitor vs. tablet Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
I'm buying another Mac, because that's the religion in this household.

Well, at least you're honest about it!

My thoughts about screen size actually comes down to how far away the screen is from you. Ideally, if a screen is particular big, it is supposed to be placed further away from you.
Of course, with computers that is also the question of the screen's resolution, and how far away you can see is legibly.

My best advice... Find a few friends with different sized monitors, and ask them to let you plug in your tablet and see how it works with a different size.
You'll never really know how it will work for you until you are trying it out.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egypturnash wrote:

The only way I can really see it being a problem is if your tablet is very definitely not widescreen and your new screen is. They you'll either have to have a dead area across the top and/or bottom of the tablet, or uncheck the "force proportions" box in the mapping tab of the Wacom prefs, which is only great if you like moving your hand in a circle and getting an oval.

Or if you like being able to draw a large circle without having to drag your hand across the entire freaking tablet.

I use mouse mode for all of my work EXCEPT hand lettering or the rare moments in which I've done delicate inking and want the precise muscle memory, but by now my muscle memory is mostly trained to the mouse speed and I have no problem drawing circles, etc. I feel like I'm dragging at the speed of sludge when I set to tablet proportions, never mind that it's such a pain with two monitors to have to switch between them when with mouse mode, a flick of the pen is all it takes.

But, the fact is, this is a sort of answer to your question. I feel like my tablet is way too big for my monitor, so the motions feel draggy and slow, when I'm using the tablet mode. When I use my laptop, however, which has a small screen, it feels a bit more "right", so I do think having the right size of tablet for your monitor is important. Though it might also be that when I'm using my laptop, I usually have my tablet on my lap and not on the desk.

For the record, my Mac is a 13 inch and my tablet's a 6x8. I would personally not go much larger than 15, 17 inches, but that's because I don't use my Mac for art, but rather, for portable running around and doing shit stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: