TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Word/Comic Press VS stick with my static self-built solution

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Word/Comic Press VS stick with my static self-built solution Reply with quote

Hi All,
My Between Wars comic is running in a 'static' responsive website that I built myself. I've 16 years experience as a web designer and I was able to code the HTML and CSS myself.

I did this because I've always hated Content Management Systems with their slowness and scary updates etc. I thought, "if I do it myself using Dreamweaver Library Items and Templates with Server Side Includes - I can work on it locally without fear of hacking, and it's all under my control." Simple. Safe.

However, my worries now are that
    My site and my own skills might fall behind - now that I'm not working as a web designer anymore

Adding advertising could be a challenge

Adding a shop could be a challenge

I might somehow be 'out of the loop' now - because Wordpress sites are good in terms of SEO?

Here's my site: http://betweenwars.com

Here's hoping that some of you have a few words of advice to offer me Wink
Thanks,
John
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard Project Wonderful or Google type ads aren't very involved to add to web pages, so I wouldn't think that would be much of a problem for you, especially if whatever you're using to make the pages can just update them all from a template or something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Smile That's good about the Ads.

I feel somehow, that not only will the site get technically obsolete, but it'll somehow miss out on traffic.

If I had a Word/Comic Press site, would visitors to mine and others see suggested links to other comic sites? So mine'd be part of a sort of loop, or 'webring', to coin a very 1998 web phrase!

Actually, I need to find out if Comic Press will plug into the Wordpress.com - or only the - Wordpres.org version of the blog. I suspect it's still only the self-hosted latter version, which makes me nervous.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use Wordpress so I don't really know, but I'd be shocked it if didn't let you set up a suggested link list in a sidebar one way or another!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to make my own site in Dreamweaver, and now I use a Wordpress/Comicpress site. I was never a great web designer by any stretch of the imagination, and if I had been able to design a site that looks as nice as yours in Dreamweaver I might have stuck with it.

The main advantage for me with the Wordpress site is ease of use. I can easily schedule my comic updates in advance, making navigation buttons and a self-updating archive page is easy, and since it's widely used, a lot of technical support is available.

However, you can't install Comicpress on a Wordpress.com site, only a self-hosted Wordpress.org site.

As far as SEO goes, I don't know that there's any advantage to a Wordpress site. I have had more traffic since I switched to the new site, but I suspect it's mainly because the new site is easier to navigate (my old site had kinda weird navigation). Search engines have never been a great source of traffic for me, and I suspect that's the same for most comics.

There are probably widgets in Wordpress to add "suggested links" to your page, but they aren't there by default and not anything that's likely to generate traffic.

As far as adding advertising goes, I found it a little easier to do in Comicpress, but not much. As smbhax said, it's a pretty simple process, especially Project Wonderful.

Most shopping carts and store systems have Wordpress plugins, so setting up a store in Wordpress should be easy, but once again it's usually not too hard to set one up in Dreamweaver either.

Also, I doubt that your skills will become obsolete, but I found that my copy of Dreamweaver has become semi-obsolete, so the price of upgrading your software occasionally may be a factor to consider as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: