TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't Buy Our Books On Indy Planet (This Is Serious.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera
At one point, that was my thought too, except for the fact that Indy Planet straight up admitted that it was their fault in writing. Based on my dealings with both of 01Comics Inc.'s divisions, I actually wouldn't put chronic disorganization past them. I'm just grateful I haven't had to deal with an epic berate fest, outside of a passive aggressive tweet for this latest incident. (Be sure to read comment #4 for extra laughs. I got a similar berate-fest when I was enduring the process of my final order ever at their printing division. I guess nothing says great customer service like the owner of a company yelling at you.)
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb wrote:

Until the customer later comes back and says "Hey I changed my mind, I'd like to sell my books on your site. By the way I don't still have my files anymore, is that going to be a problem?"

So who do you get your stuff printed through?

As harsh as it might sound, tough.
If you've ceased doing business with someone they're under no obligation to hold files for you indefinitely on the off chance that you'll change your mind.
You should be keeping your own backups somewhere for anything that important and they have a bug which is allowing discontinued items to reappear. Ignoring the fact that it means, accidentally or not, they end up selling books they have no right to as a result, what if the original submitter could no longer legally sell the book for some reason? Say for example that someone made a claim regarding a character that the author believed to be in the public domain and the author had agreed to take it down as a result. How would they be effected legally when someone starts selling it again on their behalf without their knowledge?

Blog
iaviv

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendyw wrote:
Say for example that someone made a claim regarding a character that the author believed to be in the public domain and the author had agreed to take it down as a result. How would they be effected legally when someone starts selling it again on their behalf without their knowledge?

I imagine the author would then need to prove that he or she indeed sent an order to remove it from the site. Hopefully that e-mail wasn't deleted. No idea what other ways exist to prove such a thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaslittlecrow wrote:
Customers not backing up files or changing their minds are not an excuses for glitches that cause copyright infringement.

I wasn't excusing the listing of the book, I was justifying why they might still keep all the files on hand. If they've been ordered to stop printing, that doesn't mean they are obligated to delete all their data for being able to print them.

And I'm still curious, who are you printing through now?
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I missed that portion of the question.

RA Comics Direct, which was great. I am going to try Amazon/Createspace because it's less expensive and there's a lot more extras. I've also used Lulu, but it's too expensive to use for anything other than POD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: