TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do you update when you do?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Why do you update when you do? Reply with quote

I just had a thought while I was at work yesterday.
Most of the comics which only update once a week (that I read) update on Mondays. My comic, however, updates on Wednesdays. I thought to myself about what I would say if someone asked me why I chose Wednesday instead of Monday like most everybody else.

And for this thread, I just want to expound upon that into a more formal question for everybody who makes a comic.
Why do you update on the day(s) that you update on?

As for myself, Wednesday came about to give me a little bit of extra time if I need it. I try to get my comics finished and ready by the end of the week as if I did update on Monday, but I move the actual update back a little to give me a couple extra days in case I need it, as well as some time to realize that I goofed on something and need to make a minor edit.
And the day I started on has a personal significance to me.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I update on Monday and Wednesday. My original plan was to update on Sunday and Wednesday, because hardly anyone (from what I've seen) updates on Sunday and that's just sad. I wanted to pick a day that wasn't as popular to kind of help fill out the week with updates from webcomics. Wednesday was because I felt like that was a good half-way point.

I ended up going with Monday instead because my friend, who also has a webcomic on our website, decided he wanted to go with Tuesday and Thursday. So I figured I'd take Monday, then Mon-Thurs would be just a stream of updates from our site.

I launched the site before he was ready, and he's since decided he can only do one a week, so he went with Friday to balance out my Mon/Wed updates.

Monday's working a lot better for me now, I think. I draw my comics on Saturday and Sunday, so if I fell behind on my buffer, I'd still have Sunday to draw my comic. That hasn't happened yet, but it could. (It almost did, but I'm finally on summer break from college, so it looks like I can make 3-4 pages a week.)

Also, Monday and Wednesday have since become my favorite days of the week, because I get to update on those days. So whereas I would normally take the Garfield attitude, now I'm just a bit annoyed when it's the later half of the week and I can't share my next page yet. The weekend helps make up for that, though.

Last edited by MindChimera on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
mcmasters

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tues and Fri but I'll be damned if I remember why. I wanted them spread out. I think I was thinking Sat or Sun might not be good if something was going on over the weekend and Tues would give me Mon in a pinch. Has ended up not mattering because I've had a decent sized buffer all along and they don't take long to make.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
it looks like I can make 3-4 pages a week.

(Jealous.)
MindChimera

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, it's at the expense of a social life, though.
But I'm a shy introvert and don't really want one either.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was originally planning to update on Wednesdays, but realised that I'd probably have an easier time of it by doing the updates on Monday nights (Japan time). That way, apart from the working on the art during the week, I can double-check and fix stuff on the weekends.
iaviv

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely no reason whatsoever. Just picked two days that are far apart enough. I went with Monday & Thursday but it could have easily been Sunday+Wednesday or Tuesday+Friday. I just don't update on Saturdays, that's my only rule. There should always be a resting day Cool
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first launched Galaxion online it was part of the lineup at Girlamatic, which was one of the family of Modern Tales "webcomic anthology" sites. All of us in that second (or third, don't know) wave of new comics on the site were asked to choose an update day, and to spread them out so that there would be new comics updating every day of the week. I recall some days were already spoken for. I ended up with Tuesday, and I've stuck with it ever since.

Ultimately I believe it was a good choice. A large majority of comics seem to update M-W-F, so mine slots in on one of the "slow" days. People have fewer other comics to distract them from reading mine. Whether or not this is actually true I can't say, but it's what I like to think.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My official update day is Monday, basically because I get to color the drawings sent by my artist on Saturday.
It used to be that on Saturday they would be ready, but now I have some sort of social life so pages are usually ready on Sundays. I will update Sunday night if that is the case, but usually Monday really early is the time to go.

Cheers from the Hippo
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I don't want to work on the weekend. : P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I update Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. This allows me to have Tuesday nights off from drawing because I have burlesque rehearsal those nights. And then, obviously, I don't want to draw all weekend. My wrist is already kind of jacked from this update schedule.

Ooooh well. What do ya do? I've got a story to tell and I wanna finish it before I'm in my 40s. LOL.
Varethane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......Habit? :T

When I started Chirault I spent awhile updating whenever I finished pages (dumping batches of anywhere between 2 and 7 pages per day at one point)... then I gradually became aware that most other webcomics had this thing called an 'update schedule' and that maybe if I stuck to one I could save up my excess pages and keep the website updating regularly even if I stopped making them for a little while*-- all of the webcomics I was aware of at the time updated on a Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule, so that was the one I adopted, just cuz I figured that was how it was done, and since then I've been sticking to that or some variation of it (currently Monday/Friday, because I don't make pages as fast as I used to, though my buffer's been getting bigger lately and I might start doing bonus updates...)

*within about three months of starting to use the schedule, this is exactly what happened so.... good idea? 8D;;

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread turned out to be more entertaining than I thought it would be.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iaviv wrote:
I have absolutely no reason whatsoever. Just picked two days that are far apart enough. I went with Monday & Thursday but it could have easily been Sunday+Wednesday or Tuesday+Friday. I just don't update on Saturdays, that's my only rule. There should always be a resting day Cool

Ditto.

At one point Gilbert and Grim was a Monday, Wednesday, Friday comic, but when it became clear I wasn't going to be able to keep up that schedule I replaced Monday and Wednesday with Tuesday so I had roughly even time between updates.

When I started Commander Cottontail I went with Monday and Thursday for the same reason.

Blog
egypturnash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I picked Tues/Thurs because there are so many M-W-F comics out there. Sometimes I regret it, when a really complicated page falls on a Thursday; I can never seem to maintain much of a buffer, so I have to try to get it done on the preceding Tues/Wed. If I managed to have the Tuesday page up on time.

There are a lot of times when the actual schedule is "updates whenever", to be honest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: