TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solomon's Torch Webcomic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amaryllis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Solomon's Torch Webcomic Reply with quote

Hello,

Solomon's Torch is a fantasy webcomic that is just starting up

Check us out at

http://www.solomonstorch.com/comic/strip-1/

Thanks! Very Happy
amaryllis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as we can make some improvements some constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
mcmasters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first bit of constructive criticism would be to ignore anyone's constructive criticism. If you're enjoying what you create and it satisfies you than that's all that matters. If you're going for commercial success I suppose others can give some pointers.
Likes: the animal/creature they had to kill. The half-skeleton thing was cool. And the dude with the ability to control nature and have the hand pop up. He seemed like a novice and unable to use his power to good effect, that was good characterization.
dislikes: The art is kind of stiff and rudimentary. That's not an insult, it means relative to what you can find in a lot of similar webcomics. Browse the artwork of some of the regulars here (not mine!) and you see a smoother, more experienced and practiced skill. Yours will get stronger every day, keep at it!
The story has not gone far enough to comment much, so far so good. I hope for surprises. So far the three are a bit cliched: the rough tough veteran, the hardnosed skilled chick, the doofus third wheel. Maybe doofus third wheel is only pretending to be what he is, maybe he is really the leader of the guild and has some sinister purpose...? Something like that. But please refer to my opening sentence!

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
amaryllis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mcmasters, I really appreciate your post!

This is our first webcomic, I am the artist. I am switching over from a different style to do this comic and so it is very new to me. I'm getting more comfortable with it as we progress in the story though.

I really appreciate your comments, they are a big help. Thank you!
mcmasters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it helps, but take it with a grain of salt.

I'll be reading; I like the whole "band of brothers" genre where a small group has to overcome difficulties, etc.
amaryllis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an update has just been made to the Solomon's Torch Webcomic, check it out.

www.solomonstorch.com/comic/strip-16/

Enjoy! Very Happy
amaryllis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another update for you...enjoy!

www.solomonstorch.com/comic/strip-19/
amaryllis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaryllis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite what mcmasters said about constructive criticism, I'm going to try offering some, haha. I will say that I certainly don't expect you to make these sort of changes overnight, but I'm hoping in the long run you can improve yourself. Very Happy

I'm enjoying the story so far, though it's hard to comment on it much since it's not very far along. I think the artwork could use some more practice. You seem to have the general anatomy down, but need more practice with drawing different poses. Like mcmasters said, it's very stiff.

Here's some things I'd suggest you should keep in mind and practice:

1. In most panels, the shoulders and the head are perpendicular. Even in casual conversation, the shoulders and head move, because they're often used for expression. Don't forget that people shrug, tilt their heads, etc. and quite often won't fall into this flat position. Their movements can help add to their personality.

2. Most panels are really zoomed out. During the fight with the monster, we don't really need to see the horizon in most of those panels. Zooming in on more of the action would be good.
I'd like to note that what you've done in the first and last panels on page 12 looks good. But I think the other panels on that page could have been done differently.

Doing some extra sketches of dynamic poses and angles outside of the comic work will help you improve faster. I'd suggest looking up some stock poses and practice drawing those. SenshiStock on DeviantArt is one of my favorites, but it's mostly female models.
Be sure to have fun when you're doing them, of course; don't do it only to improve, because then it becomes a chore.

Those are my thoughts. Feel free to think I'm completely wrong through, and do whatever you want. I'm new to webcomics myself so I could be completely off-base with #2.

And to reiterate what I said before, I certainly don't expect you to make any sort of drastic changes to your art style overnight based on what I think. Be sure to use whatever works for you and feel free to make any changes you think necessary slowly. I'm just some schmuck on the internet anyway.
amaryllis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

You have a valid point and that really gives me some things to think about. I appreciate the comment as it gives me some things to work on...I'm always looking for chances to improve my artwork.
amaryllis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaryllis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

narwhalknight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a quick look through a few pages, and the art looked pretty interesting, so I'll put it on my 'to read' file.

One quick observation, and no offense, but the site itself sort of sucks. It looks like I'm there to read a history paper. Consider getting the comicpress plugin for wordpress, I think it could help you a great deal.
amaryllis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early update this week...
http://www.solomonstorch.com/comic/strip-25/

Having searched for the comicpress plugin under the plugins section of wordpress I didn't get any results. We are currently working with the comic easel plugin. What is the difference, does anyone know? Also, is comicpress a plugin or a theme?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: