TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waking Up Dead - "I'm dead and Hell is my life."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyhanGJR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Waking Up Dead - "I'm dead and Hell is my life." Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

I'm Glenn, also known as Kyhan, and I'm here to tell you why you should read Waking Up Dead (hopefully not for the art).

To put it simply, Waking up Dead is the story of our "hero," Will, and his life postmortem.

A 20-something nobody, Will wakes up in the middle of the street one day, having mysteriously fallen to his death. In order to avoid a fate worse than Hell, he is forced into being death's protégé, all the while trying to prove that his death was not a suicide.

Let's take a look:

If you can't tell from the above sample, WuD is a Supernatural Action-Comedy. Its core influences include Supernatural, Bleach, and How I Met Your Mother.

Things are still building up as we're only on the first issue. Two more main characters have yet to be introduced, as well as many core elements. I have a lot planned here, folks, and I'd like to take you along with me for the ride.

I'm trying to keep things at a PG-13 rating, so there isn't any nudity or swearing—generally, safe for work.

You can find more at http://www.wakingupdead-comic.com. We update every Tuesday at around midnight EST.

And while you're at it, like us on facebook here:
http://www.facebook.com/wakingupdeadcomic

Tell your friends!
mcmasters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give it a qualified "like." The premise has tons of potential, I like the idea that he didn't commit suicide and he has to figure out what's going on. I think it needs to get its legs under it, by which I mean it's kind of one thing one strip and one the next, some have a punchline and humor and some are just "story advancers," which isn't necessarily wrong or bad just if it's humor I want funny each time and if it's drama I want drama each time. That said, it's probably best to do what satisfies you and ignore comments from readers or potential readers; if you're shooting for a mix of drama and humor go for it.

The art isn't top-flight but is quite good and isn't going to turn anybody away.
KyhanGJR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the criticism.

Yeah, I jokingly put my art down a bit—it's hard to convey the joking tone through text. A friend suggested to go the opposite route and tell people to come for the art, but again, same problem. People will think I'm arrogant. It's lose-lose.

Anyway, the reason it doesn't have a laugh on each page is because originally it was meant to be shown all at once, not by weekly update. Originally, it was going to be in a format where given pages aren't even standalone—I wanted to have a single update each month with a full issue, but ended up scrapping the idea because web traffic would suck.

My scriptwriting only gets a better as it goes. Issue 2 and 3 have some great interactions and more laughs—it's around then that I realize that it's page-to-page. I'm still working on issue 4, so I'll keep that in mind while writing.

Glad it's likable, though. I know what makes me laugh, but it's hard to judge other people's reactions.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree that a story has to be all drama or all funny, but I do think they need to be tied up correctly. It's a bit odd to me that the reaper waited so long to talk to Will. The work scene seems to just awkwardly and arbitrarily interrupt the plot and pick up immediately afterwards.

I think the work scene should have come before his death (though then your opening wouldn't be as dramatic), or maybe later (though since I don't know where the story's going, I can't say that for sure).

I do like it so far though. Very Happy I think it's a bit early for me to judge the script, so my quick review may not be fair.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
I don't agree that a story has to be all drama or all funny, but I do think they need to be tied up correctly. It's a bit odd to me that the reaper waited so long to talk to Will. The work scene seems to just awkwardly and arbitrarily interrupt the plot and pick up immediately afterwards.

That's probably closer to what I was thinking but couldn't quite put my finger on it. I was wondering: Does the guy know if he's breathing, if his heart is beating or not? Then I was trying to think, it's a comedy, focus on the humor, but it was just serious enough to make me think the guy should be considering that. I do like the hairy guy popping off and being a joker.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KyhanGJR wrote:
I know what makes me laugh, but it's hard to judge other people's reactions.

True dat.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
Oli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds and looks promising!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: