TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you read the webcomics you follow?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you prefer to read your webcomics?
I have all the sites bookmarked. I go to the site of each comic.
41%
 41%  [ 14 ]
I subscribe to the RSS feeds of the webcomics I follow.
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
I use a service like Piperka, that links me to the comics on my list that have updated.
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
I follow my webcomic artists on twitter, FB, or some combination of social media sites; when I see updates in my stream, I click.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Some combination of the above.
23%
 23%  [ 8 ]
None of the above. Reply to the thread so we can discuss! :)
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 34

SunScales

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have preview images on mine. They're usually cuts from the first panel that are sized to fit a 250x250 template I made that says "click to read". I try to use the first panel so I'm not giving the punchline away before they read the comic. My feed is getting a bit more than half as many hits as my homepage, so I'm guessing it's not really deterring people away.

If you use FireFox, you can subscribe to an RSS feed through the browser, which I think is less intimidating to get started with if you aren't familiar with RSS (and already use FireFox). It's very similar to how bookmarks work. I'm not sure what other browsers let you do this, if any.
SunScales

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iaviv wrote:
@smbhax.com - Huh? There's no image at all. Do you see images in my feed? There shouldn't be one. I don't see any. Not in Google Reader, not Feedburner, not Feedly, not in Yanobs Reader... I checked. No image\s, just text. There used to be a small image of a page a long time ago but something happened with ComicPress, I think, and it was just... gone. I don't even know how to get it back, or if I want to.

I'm seeing the images too, but only when I look at the .xml file with FireFox (which is how I initially subscribe to all my feeds).

It's not coming up in RSSOwl though, just the text and social links are. But when I view the source code of the file, it's very clearly including the image.

I don't know how smbhax.com saw the images, but if this is only happening in FireFox, I think you're fine. All of FireFox's feeds come up in a bookmark style, so those readers won't see the image or any of the text.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was seeing them when looking at the feed directly in Firefox--and now I notice they aren't in Google Reader, which I should have noticed earlier. I guess it's 'cause they're there in HTML tags rather than properly encoded into RSS tags. Interesting!
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendyw wrote:
smbhax.com wrote:
I was always afraid that since it's kind of the hard core people who use RSS, they'd be less likely to follow me at all if I made them jump out of their reader and on to my site. I'm not an RSS user though so I really have no idea how much that might matter to them.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me personally, it doesn't matter at all. I think I follow more comics using RSS that require me to visit the site than don't.

Hm! Yeah I suppose if you use RSS a lot you just get used to using click-through links like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unique. Even though I have bookmarks and follow my favorite comics on social media sites - I randomly realize it's a comic's update day or that I haven't read it in awhile I just type it into the browser.

I never even use my bookmarks, I don't know why I have them. In case I get amnesia, I guess.
OnlyTheGhosts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had the slightest interest in RSS, Twitter, Facebook, or anything like those. So, I don't bother using any of those for promoting my webcomic nor books either. I found most of the webcomics that I read because they were mentioned by other people on forums, or I was using a search engine to find a particular genre/style of webcomic. TV Tropes is the place where I discovered about a couple of other webcomics. Sometimes, I've used Comic Rocket - but only very recently. It seems like a good system there. If I like a webcomic, I'll bookmark it or - if I'm a member of that site (such as ComicFury) - I'll subscribe to it.
Elhanan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

I remember their names and look them up.
Harrington AW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I just add them to my link page on my comic site, and go there to check them when they update. It may not be the most efficient way, and I do have other links from exchanges and such there, too, but it's how I like to do it.

And who knows? It may give them some small amount of traffic if other people find them there, too.
^_^

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love comics...

...but really, really, really hate this whole serialization thingy.

So if I read a webcomic at all, I will read the entire archive straight through all at once.

For many of my favorites I tried coming back regularly... but when the story comes out in little tiny drips and drizzles it's just pretty much impossible for it to hold my interest for more than a few months. I have the same problem with TV shows. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always really bad at reading webcomics because i already spend so much time working on my computer. So these days I find something I like, bookmark it, and then read it later on my Kindle. That's the best way for me to read webcomics. I'm definitely an archive reader. I like bulk.
Thorsby

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book marks.
Daletronzero

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:
I usually prefer to use my eyes.

And if I can't remember a URL to punch into my bar, or at least the first few letters, I probably won't follow it. I keep meaning to make a fancy day by day bookmark menu series, but I keep defaulting to 'uhh OH RIGHT it started with this letter'. It's rather archaic.

Also if people post tweets that their comic updated and I saw it, I click it.

I do like a good mobile site though.

This but I dont Tweet. I do need to learn how to add a cute share control button bar for social media platforms so my readers can retweet for me though.

[s]I don't post or associate my comic with Facebook. I do need to learn how to add a cute share control button bar for social media platforms so my readers can share and post for me though.[/s]

I can copy and paste this for Tumblr, Google+, Reddit, Instagram Ect Ect Ect. I also believe the most respectable route is to just have a cutsie easy multi social network share bar master control widget and let your fanbase promote your fanbase. so who wants to help me with the correct direction on a share bar?

I personally have spent a lot of time on the aesthetics of my site. I believe the effort put into the aesthetics of your site is a direct representation of your work. I also understand that the majority of people who read web comics, read them when they're on the toilet or when they're supposed to be working. So its very important that your site is mobile friendly.[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: