TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you read the webcomics you follow?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you prefer to read your webcomics?
I have all the sites bookmarked. I go to the site of each comic.
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
I subscribe to the RSS feeds of the webcomics I follow.
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
I use a service like Piperka, that links me to the comics on my list that have updated.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
I follow my webcomic artists on twitter, FB, or some combination of social media sites; when I see updates in my stream, I click.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Some combination of the above.
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
None of the above. Reply to the thread so we can discuss! :)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 24

pdonz2

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: How do you read the webcomics you follow? Reply with quote

I was discussing this with some friends, and their answers got me thinking about what reader behavior means for us in terms of website design and all that jazz.

Like, how much time should I be spending posting updates to FB? vs. how much time I should spend on the look and feel of my website? vs. how much time I should spend worrying about a mobile site?

smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you read the webcomics you follow? Reply with quote

pdonz2 wrote:
Like, how much time should I be spending posting updates to FB?

Under 10 seconds.
pdonz2 wrote:
vs. how much time I should spend on the look and feel of my website?

Spare time after you've made an awesome comic to put on it!
pdonz2 wrote:
vs. how much time I should spend worrying about a mobile site?

A what?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you read the webcomics you follow? Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
pdonz2 wrote:

A what?

A site designed specifically for viewing on mobile devices. The idea is to rearrange/resize the site so it's readable, and remove images that aren't needed (like a background image) to help increase download speed.

I do a combination. My favorite webcomics are bookmarked, and I check them on the days they update.

Comics with odd update schedules, or that I wouldn't remember to check as often, I use RSSOwl to follow. I mainly downloaded an RSS reader so I could check if my own RSS feed was working, but I've started adding to it. But I always click through to go to the website.

I have a small handful that I follow on Comic Rocket, but that's the only website feeder that I use.

I don't actually use The Webcomic List to follow any comics, but I do add ones that I read elsewhere to my Favorites list, when I find them. I do go through the list to find new things to read every now and then, but I typically follow it using a different tool.

I really don't like following a comic just on Facebook or Twitter. It's too easy to miss updates, and for those that post their comic just onto Facebook too hard to navigate the archive. There's a few comics here that I've followed on Facebook, but I typically overlook their posts, or don't see them at all. So I'll follow those in addition to another method.

Before starting my own webcomic, I would only use bookmarks.

smbhax.com wrote:
pdonz2 wrote:
vs. how much time I should spend on the look and feel of my website?

Spare time after you've made an awesome comic to put on it!

I agree, but something to keep in mind is, there's a minimum amount of time that should be put into the orignal design. You need to make the site user-friendly, otherwise you will drive people away before they even have a chance to read your first page.

You want to aim for low load times, tolerable colors, clear navigation that the user doesn't need to "learn," not cluttered or difficult to read, etc. If you've met the base criteria, then whatever time you can spare for it. Smile Making it look more professional may help, but it's not required for a good webcomic.

What you really don't want is a great looking website with little content. Your content is always going to be more important than the feel of your site.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you read the webcomics you follow? Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
smbhax.com wrote:
pdonz2 wrote:

A what?

A site designed specifically for viewing on mobile devices. The idea is to rearrange/resize the site so it's readable, and remove images that aren't needed (like a background image) to help increase download speed.

Ah so that's very different from
MindChimera wrote:
You want to aim for low load times, tolerable colors, clear navigation that the user doesn't need to "learn," not cluttered or difficult to read, etc.

See what I did there. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: How do you read the webcomics you follow? Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
Ah so that's very different from
MindChimera wrote:
You want to aim for low load times, tolerable colors, clear navigation that the user doesn't need to "learn," not cluttered or difficult to read, etc.

See what I did there. Smile

Razz Haha, you kind of caught me there.

It is different; what I'm talking about is a bit more specialized. Such as, a lot of websites are designed for screens that are over 1000px, with an assumption of a high speed connection. You can have specific CSS files that will be pulled if a screen is a certain size, or under a size, etc.

Mobile devices are getting better at their connection speeds, but may still handle websites with huge image files worse than a desktop or laptop.

Dreamweaver has different viewing options that let you preview what your website will look like at different sizes, which is to help with desigining for mobile devices.

Since I don't really own any mobile devices, it's hard for me to get more specific than that.
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been visiting pages via bookmarks, but I am migrating to Comic Rocket.
1) I don't miss pages that way. Seriously, that ****s me off so bad when I find I missed a page.
2) Opening up a lot of tabs at once is really starting to chug down my system. Flash plug-ins keep crashing.
3) It's great for mostly-dead comics. And comics that update on blue moons.

But I'm migrating slowly; I'm still really trying to gauge how I feel with this new system. I don't have more than a small handful of comics I regularly read on their system yet. But By the end of the year or even by the end of summer I imagine I will be reading most of my comics that way.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually prefer to use my eyes.

And if I can't remember a URL to punch into my bar, or at least the first few letters, I probably won't follow it. I keep meaning to make a fancy day by day bookmark menu series, but I keep defaulting to 'uhh OH RIGHT it started with this letter'. It's rather archaic.

Also if people post tweets that their comic updated and I saw it, I click it.

I do like a good mobile site though.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a combination-- mostly I follow comics by bookmarking their sites (I don't sort them by date or anything, I just put them all in a folder called 'webcomics' and mostly remember their update schedules, or if not I just visit them periodically to see if they've updated). I follow a handful of comic creators on tumblr or DeviantArt and when they post updates, it reminds me to read it; though this is only the case for 2 or 3 creators (whose comics I'd probably remember to check anyway).

I'm thinking of starting to use something like comic-rocket; I've slowly added a bunch of the comics I read to my list there, although it still thinks I haven't even started reading them because at the time I added them I was fully caught up. I just have to get into the mindset of logging into it before I start going through my bookmarks (because if I'm done checking all the comics it seems pointless to log in)-- it's a hard habit to break though, since that's how I've been following webcomics ever since I started reading them.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think people really don't know how to use RSS readers. As if anyone really needs more reason to waste time on the internet by checking sites dozens of times a week instead of just the one time it actually updates which is exactly what an RSS reader will do for you. It's free!

Seriously.
What.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iaviv wrote:
I'm beginning to think people really don't know how to use RSS readers.

Yeah. it's weird. I know for myself that I only remember the concept exists occasionally. If I was smart, I'd go subscribe to all the stuff I like to check and save a lot of time. But no part of my brain wants to remember that that is an option.

wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few daily comics I just visit directly each day, but most comics I follow using RSS. RSS is great for story comics because I can just let the pages build up for a few weeks and then do a mini archive trawl if I feel like it.

I also follow a bunch of creators on Twitter so sometimes catch new pages that way.

I used to do bookmarks a long time back, but they're a pain in comparison. Unless you replace the bookmark every time you read a comic you have no way of keeping track of what the last page you read is.

So yeah, hooray for RSS!

Blog
Lo (Aquapunk)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disappeared for a month last summer and never caught up to most of my reads and wound up dropping them, but the couple that I do still follow I do by RSS. (Ones by friends I get updates for on tumblr.)

But seriously-- RSS is so freakishly easy (well, maybe not with Google Reader going away -gnashes teeth- but we'll see what comes out over the next few months), I don't have to remember URLs, update schedules, nothing. I just get notified when something new appears, and I go read it. This is probably why I give exactly zero effs about people's update schedules; forgetting about a comic becomes a complete non-issue with RSS.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just like visiting peoples' web sites >_>

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to do the rss thing, it would save some time. I'm not even sure the one on my own comic works, is it something you have to set up?

I have a handful on bookmarks and randomly check them out. I also tend to favor this forum and anyone I read posts of or converse with I generally check their latest.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmasters wrote:
I really need to do the rss thing, it would save some time. I'm not even sure the one on my own comic works, is it something you have to set up?

If you click on the "Subscribe" button in your comic navigation row, or the "RSS" thingy up in the upper right of your page layout, you'll see one of your site's RSS feeds, and they do appear to be working--I suppose Wordpress is generating them for you automatically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: