TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Wordpress/Comicpress necessary anymore?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Comic Easel Reply with quote

Traegorn wrote:
jkarels wrote:

I started my webcomic last week and went with Comic Easel over ComicPress. Some of my comics are done in HTML 5 videos (yay MotionArtist), and ComicEasel provides an easy way of setting that up. You just have to remember to tweak the theme as part of the installation process.

I ditched the navigation bar and used the plugin's functions when theming my own (via the function.php file for the theme) - Rather than show a navigation bar (Start, Previous, Next, Last), I wanted to create a pseudo "chat box" where the previous comic, current comic, and next comic's titles appear as lines in a chat log. Yes I am a geek.
I went to your website, and the problem with what you've done is that, from a user perspective, it's really kind of confusing. I would have never figured out that was supposed to be comic navigation if I hadn't read this first

I'm afraid I've got to agree. The navigation is more than a little confusing and had I come across the site in some other way I probably would have given up on the site and left before working out how it worked to be honest.

Blog
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hard time with it too. I had completely glanced over the "chat box" thinking it was tags or something similarly put at the bottom of blog posts.

When looking at the page itself, I saw the image, and immediately started looking for the "Next" button instead of reading the text.

In the very least, you'll need an "About" page to explain how the site works. But you should really take another look at it and figure out how to make it more intuitive.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Comic Easel Reply with quote

Traegorn wrote:
jkarels wrote:
hipopotamo wrote:
For anyone using Easel, can you tell us how your experience has been? Is it worth it moving away from ComicPress?

I started my webcomic last week and went with Comic Easel over ComicPress. Some of my comics are done in HTML 5 videos (yay MotionArtist), and ComicEasel provides an easy way of setting that up. You just have to remember to tweak the theme as part of the installation process.

I ditched the navigation bar and used the plugin's functions when theming my own (via the function.php file for the theme) - Rather than show a navigation bar (Start, Previous, Next, Last), I wanted to create a pseudo "chat box" where the previous comic, current comic, and next comic's titles appear as lines in a chat log. Yes I am a geek.
I went to your website, and the problem with what you've done is that, from a user perspective, it's really kind of confusing. I would have never figured out that was supposed to be comic navigation if I hadn't read this first

A geek? I thought you just read Homestuck and liked it.

Anyone who's read Homestuck will probably get it, but, I point out that it still includes the arrows. Like ----> or whatever. Tack something like that into your chatlog navigation, and get a first comic/latest comic button on the top of your site and I think it'll be more intuitive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can successfully guide people to your site you'll have a permanent place where they can always find you, so if facebook or tumblr ever go the way of myspace you won't lose your entire audience. This is the main advantage imo, with a large enough user base you could also make some money of ads.

Mustachio Mondays at SunbeltRyders.com
hpkomic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really only use tumblr for a side project that isn't based on a continuous story. It's definitely appealing for stand alone comics that can be rebloggable.
supercerealoso

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumblr is very friendly to make "portfolios" and stuff, but it's not so good for webcomics. Webcomic tracking sites like http://piperka.net/ get confused by the way you navigate in a Tumblr blog, the most recent post is on page 1, while the oldest one is the last page; in a normal webcomic site the oldest comic is on page 1, and so on. So, if your comic is in a Tumblr blog, forget about being listed there.
inkdolls

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supercerealoso wrote:
if your comic is in a Tumblr blog, forget about being listed there.

Abominable.cc is hosted on Tumblr and is listed on Piperka.

To give Tumblr a webcomic style navigation, you just have to make a few customizations to your theme.

Tumblr has optional "blocks" that can be used to create "previous" and "next" links. The "first" and "latest" links can just be anchors to the first post and the main url.

On the theme's advanced settings you can set the post per page to 1, so the most recent post doesn't appear on top of previous ones.

But it's true you get no certainty. When Yahoo bought Tumblr recently, all adult blogs got hidden from search engines for a while, which made a lot of users angry.
ingmardrewing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good idea to have a "home" for the comic. Personally I'd add that having control over my data is important - at least at this one place (hosted mine here http://devabo.de).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: