TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Wordpress/Comicpress necessary anymore?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Vaehling

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to feed my webcomics from my site feed into my Tumblr, but for some reason it stopped importing the feed, and I never got any feedback about it anyway so I just kept it off. It was never meant to be its own comics site anyway, for the reasons mentioned above (re: no functionality for browsing back within a storyline).

Now, I'm using Tumblr to post sketches and stuff that I don't have the time or space for on my regular site, more like a notebook of sorts. I've chosen a layout that embraces the messy character of those irregular updates, especially for the old posts that weren't formatted for this layout. (It gets really messy down the first page. I like that.

Webcomics - Blog - Twitter
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what one wants to achieve, of course, but an actual site usually allows much better control of the total presentation of your comic. Plus there's no "larger interest" looming behind - do you know you'll always be able to control the presentation, colors, size, ads, etc. on a site that's not owned and controlled by you? If you don't care about these things then you're fine, but if you want total control over how your comic gets presented on the web and a more solid guarantee that your control won't suddenly or gradually change, then a website is still the way to go.

I, for one, like an ad-free site (no one has offered me enough for me to change my mind, and I've had a few offers). If I post my comic on someone else's site, can I guarantee that my comic won't one day get surrounded with ads? Who knows? For me, this and other concerns justify the expense of a website.
JuleaKinslayer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb wrote:
In case it hasn't been mentioned already, if you start making your own site, instead of Comic Press consider Comic Easel. I haven't personally tried both, but everything I've seen with Comic Easel I've liked.

I started with comicpress but it's not really supported anymore. The people who put it together pretty much abandoned it. Frumph will still help people out if they have a question about its coding but really, it's pointless.

Comic Easel is pretty much Frumph's port of Comicpress. It's updated and upgraded and is still actively supported with an active forum for those who need help with coding. The one downside to Comic Easel right now is the method they use for posting comics creates a special post type that Jetpack doesn't recognize so it won't do the auto updates to your facebook/twitter/tumblr.

I tend to view Tumblr as the place where you post teasers, sketches, references, and blurbs, all with the intent to drive traffic to your comic site.

Perhaps for the OP's comic format it works. It doesn't require any kind of continuity, there are no characters per se, and it focuses entirely on one subject... much like a short form blog. But for most I'd say it's not a good idea.
PencilNeck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some idiotic reason beyond my understanding I chose to go with squarespace, so I can't add any buttons like next, previous, random unless I learn some html

fml lol
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone using Easel, can you tell us how your experience has been? Is it worth it moving away from ComicPress?

I am afraid of doing so since pretty much I have created lots of customization (thru widgets, add-ins and the occasional code tweaking)m and there is also the issue of my site supporting a multi-comic site. Then again, multi-site capability is a Wordpress feature, not a ComicPress one.

Can I get away with an Easel transition?

Cheers from the Hippo

vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hipopotamo
I love Comic Easel a ton and the transition was pretty painless. I would never go back to ComicPress. There is a learning curve, but it's not too bad. Go through Frumph's forum if you need to help. He is super helpful and there's a lot of helpful stuff posted already!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vas

I will certainly try it soon. Or maybe I try it on my new web comic project as to not disturb the already existing web addresses!

Hippo Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved over to Comic Easel very recently. Because of additional functionality allowing you to identify which characters and locations appear on any given page, I went on a trawl through the archives and updated the database. It has proven handy as a way of refering to previous appearances of characters or planets in the story.

I have not made any attempt to customise the site yet. At this early stage it seems quite daunting, but I'll give it a go soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the 'tweaking' to the CSS and such, is Comic Easel even needed for those who are doing this? At that point, wouldn't it be easier for these people to just get a preview program or full on website building program (Dreamweaver for example) and build your own site? There would be a cost for sure, but you can customize a lot more then.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not Dreamweaver, unless you're a student and can get it for free or discounted. I'd say the cost of Dreamweaver far outweighs any benefit it would bring. Maybe another low cost WYSIWYG editor. (I know Dreamweaver wasn't really your point, but I had to throw my bias out there. Razz )

I'd agree that I think it's easier to customize your own site if you build it yourself; that's why I built mine. The last time I used WordPress, I found an HTML5 template with no CSS and figured I'd just customize it from the ground up. It's much easier to build the HTML myself and customize it, because I don't have to guess what plugs in where. I would never use WordPress again, given the choice. If you're determined, you can customize a lot on a template though.

So no, it's not needed. But WordPress does streamline some things and you don't have to know HTML/CSS to get it to work, which is why it's so attractive. I'd like to be able to schedule updates, but my FTP software doesn't have a scheduler. (Psst, anyone know of a free FTP software with a scheduler?)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my site so thoroughly customized that I'm a bit cautious about updating to Easel. Since I didn't really understand all the theme/child theme stuff at first, I can't even seem to update to a newer version of Comicpress wituhout losing all the good stuff.

That said, I think I've got all I'd want from Comic Easel out of Comicpress. Multiple comics were my first tweak, with a lot of help from Frumph; switching layouts between portrait and landscape format turned out to be surprisingly easy. Listing stories by character (or any tag or category, for that matter) isn't a problem - I use a plugin called "Display Posts Shortcode" for that. I just add a tag for each character to the first page of every story they're in, and the plugin creates a list on that character's character page wherever I place its shortcode. (I'm a bit behind on character pages, though. Maybe during the Summer break.)

I hear Comic Easel does all that more easily, but since I've already done it...

Max Vaehling

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So no, it's not needed. But WordPress does streamline some things and you don't have to know HTML/CSS to get it to work, which is why it's so attractive. I'd like to be able to schedule updates, but my FTP software doesn't have a scheduler. (Psst, anyone know of a free FTP software with a scheduler?)

If you have a good enough blog system running on your site, it should do that for you. FTP doesn't seem to be the way to go.

Doesn't have to be Wordpress or any system that puts the blog first and builds the site around it, like WP does. I've had a self-coded php site for years that had a blog (greymatter) running on some of the pages. (Greymatter is not the one you're looking for. At least up to the version I've been using, it never got scheduling down, and you have to tweak it to show a decent rss feed.)

Just google for free blog systems to build into sites and do your scheduling online rather than "manually" per ftp . Sounds easier to me.

Last edited by Max Vaehling on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
MindChimera

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Vaehling wrote:
Quote:

If you have a good enough blog system running on your site, it should do that for you. FTP doesn't seem to be the way to go.

Doesn't have to be Wordpress or any system that puts the blog first and builds the site around it, like WP does. I've had a self-coded php site for years that had a blog (greymatter) running on some of the pages. (Greymatter is not the one you're looking for. At least up to the version I've been using, it never got scheduling down, and you have to tweak it to show a decent rss feed.)

Just google for free blog systems to build into sites and do your scheduling online rather than "manually" per ftp. Sounds easier to me.

After being logged out of the admin panel for my own WordPress site and the only way to fix it was to take the whole site down, I'm really not into blogging software. I don't have any problems using FTP, and I enjoy it far more than any other system I've used. The only thing is Filezilla won't let you schedule updates. There's a queue function so you can upload a bunch of files simultaneously, but you have to be at the computer to activate it, and they've refused to add an automated feature.

And I'm not really looking to redo my site's structure right now... I want to learn more about HTML5 before I do that. A new FTP program wouldn't require any changes to the website.

Thanks, though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Comic Easel Reply with quote

hipopotamo wrote:
For anyone using Easel, can you tell us how your experience has been? Is it worth it moving away from ComicPress?

I started my webcomic last week and went with Comic Easel over ComicPress. Some of my comics are done in HTML 5 videos (yay MotionArtist), and ComicEasel provides an easy way of setting that up. You just have to remember to tweak the theme as part of the installation process.

I ditched the navigation bar and used the plugin's functions when theming my own (via the function.php file for the theme) - Rather than show a navigation bar (Start, Previous, Next, Last), I wanted to create a pseudo "chat box" where the previous comic, current comic, and next comic's titles appear as lines in a chat log. Yes I am a geek.
Traegorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Comic Easel Reply with quote

jkarels wrote:
hipopotamo wrote:

I started my webcomic last week and went with Comic Easel over ComicPress. Some of my comics are done in HTML 5 videos (yay MotionArtist), and ComicEasel provides an easy way of setting that up. You just have to remember to tweak the theme as part of the installation process.

I ditched the navigation bar and used the plugin's functions when theming my own (via the function.php file for the theme) - Rather than show a navigation bar (Start, Previous, Next, Last), I wanted to create a pseudo "chat box" where the previous comic, current comic, and next comic's titles appear as lines in a chat log. Yes I am a geek.
I went to your website, and the problem with what you've done is that, from a user perspective, it's really kind of confusing. I would have never figured out that was supposed to be comic navigation if I hadn't read this first
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: