TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about eyebrows.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can you move your eyebrows independently?
No
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
I can raise and lower one eyebrow, but can't move the other one without moving both
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
I have full control over both eyebrows
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 20

Gar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Question about eyebrows. Reply with quote

Who here gurns like a goon when they're drawing faces? It's just what you do to get a feel for the lines, right? It's all part of the fun.

Anyway, I have pretty good eyebrow control (I can do the full Spock raise on either side) and was wondering if this was common amongst cartoonists? Apparently it's a genetic thing, like being able to roll your tongue. It connects to perception of line though, so I'm curious if it's common amongst people who draw a lot of faces.
iaviv

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made me consult a mirror. Apparently I have full control over my eyebrows, which is funny because it's actually a unibrow.

I don't think this has much to do with how I draw eyebrows. Maybe if I looked in a mirror every time I had to draw a face, but I don't do that at all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I do make funny faces sometimes when I'm trying to get under my character's skin and feel where they''re coming from. I don't really look in the mirror when I do that, though.

I can't do crazy stuff with my eyebrows, except raise them or lower them. Not even slant them - when I'm angry I just lower my head and look the offender straight in the face from under the eyebrows - that's how I make up for it. :p

It's got nothing to do with how I draw my characters. They're cartoon-y and I can have all the freedom with how I draw their expressions as long as they make sense. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can raise the outside corner of my left eyebrow but not my right.

I don't keep a mirror handy at my workstation but sometimes I go to the bathroom to get a better look at hands in action. Never the face, but I suppose I should. I think I just assume that my drawing is too cartoony to gain anything from seeing real face expressions. But I still struggle mightily with comic eyes and mouths. There's so many expressions I want to capture that just don't come out right, and it's so satisfying when I "nail it."

I really struggling with another character for another thing I'm doing that's attempting to be more realistic looking than Pete. The character is black, so I'm trying to get the lips a bit fuller and it just keeps looking like, oh great, the black guy has to have the big lips, right? No, no, it just doesn't look right with him having the thin mouth, either. And black guy open-mouth talking is a complete mess. I'll get it though.

Oh, and I have trouble drawing boobs.
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a mirror by my "workstation". (Actually I work in bed, but whatever.)

I have pretty good eyebrow control. I can mostly do each eyebrow independently, but when I raise the outer corner of the left eyebrow, the right eyebrow always wants to draw inward a bit.

I don't think my eyebrow control has much to do with drawing, though. Until I started comicking, drawing expressions wasn't something I thought about much. I've had this much control over my eyebrows since I was a kid.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also wiggle each ear independently
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have complete control over my body to the point that I can vibrate my arm insuch a frequency that I can punch a hole through solid steel...Wait...I may be thinking of Iron Fist, here...yeah, I totally am.

I have a very flexible face and can wiggle it around a lot but I can't wiggle my ears like Traegorn or wiggle my hairline (what's left of it...).
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can just do one independantly. But when I think about it, it's also the only one that I would naturally try to move in a conversation, so I bet I could do both if I practiced it.

Weird thing to practice though.

I can't do ears. My mom and my brother are double-jointed, but I'm not.

Casual Notice wrote:
I have complete control over my body to the point that I can vibrate my arm insuch a frequency that I can punch a hole through solid steel...Wait...I may be thinking of Iron Fist, here...yeah, I totally am.

Easy mistake to make.
Varethane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can roll my tongue, but I can't raise one eyebrow without also lowering the other one. My brother can, though? Guess the genes skipped me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only raise one eyebrow, my right. But I can fold my tongue over inside my mouth to make it look like another set of lips.
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can raise each eyebrow independently, used to do it on elementary school for fun, and nowadays it serves as a way to make an irony face.

Don't know if it is an artist trait, but not a lot of people I know can do it.

Cheers from the Hippo
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have total and complete command over my left eyebrow. My left eyebrow is insane.

I can do stuff with my right eyebrow but my left one generally gets dragged along a little. I can, however, lower my right eyebrow independently, but as I'm not sure this counts, I chose the 'one eyebrow' option.

I can also roll my tongue, but! I can only tilt my tongue vertically to the left.

And finally, I can move my pinky toes independently. No ear moving though.

I would say some of it came from drawing, the more I studied faces the more interested I was in seeing what I could do with mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: