TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why a webcomic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cope

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Simple enough. Reply with quote

The comic part is because I'm just obsessed with the medium, and the web part is because the Internet is the only means I have for reaching an audience of any kind.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
JohnK wrote:
There's an extra thrill for me because I'm no artist, so i get to see how the artists i work with interpret what I do.

To me, it's kind of a scary idea to put my creation in the hands of someone else, haha. If I worked with someone else, I'd probably have so many notes for every detail on every page.

I write in a pretty detailed manner. Also, I've been working with the same person for a very long time so I trust him. In the end I really don't have much of a choice so if something isn't exactly as I pictured it, it's not a big deal. I'm happy about 98% of the time with the outcome.

Now in the future when I find another artist to work with, that'll be interesting. Everyone is different so it'll take some getting used to the new situation.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one day, I sat down and said to myself, "If you don't start making your comic right now you NEVER WILL and if you don't have a deadline right in front of your face it'll be just like all the other ones with 6 pages petering out."

So I joined ComicGenesis, didn't have a buffer, and just started posting pages three times a week with no planning whatsoever. It actually worked too, my art actually improved by leaps and bounds during this period and I learned a lot about how not to make a comic.

The funny thing is, I didn't even really follow any webcomics at this point. I'd read a couple and knew they usually updated three times a week on a webpage. I knew nothing about how it 'worked', only that hey, there was this free host available and they got updated page by page. I had no illusions of money, I just had a script from ScriptFrenzy and an itch to do something with it. I always wanted to do a newspaper comic but I knew what I wrote wasn't funny.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drew comics before the web, but they usually sat in a drawer and were perused by a dozen people or less. In college I posted some comics on my dorm room door. So perhaps a few more dozen people saw them. It seemed pointless, but I enjoyed the process enough to continue. With the web I was able to take what I was doing anyway and present it to a larger audience. Now I can safely say that after 6 years at least 100,000 people, maybe more, have seen at least one of my comics. You can't get that kind of reach anywhere else. It's nice not to have things molding in the drawer. That's the "why webcomic" answer for me.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnK wrote:
I write in a pretty detailed manner. Also, I've been working with the same person for a very long time so I trust him. In the end I really don't have much of a choice so if something isn't exactly as I pictured it, it's not a big deal. I'm happy about 98% of the time with the outcome.

Now in the future when I find another artist to work with, that'll be interesting. Everyone is different so it'll take some getting used to the new situation.

Well that's good to hear. You may be lucky that you found someone you're confident with to do your artwork. My brother's a very talented artist and I love his style, but he drew one of my characters for me once and it just didn't feel like my character. It was good, but just not mine.

ttallan wrote:
Having weekly (or even daily) interactions with readers is also great, compared with the handful of letters (with whole paragraphs! On actual paper! Delivered by Canada Post to my IRL mailbox!) that came along every two months.

Haha, I'm a big fan of snail mail so that actually sounds kind of exciting, but I guess the low number of them isn't that great.

Actually, if I got something in the mail about my comic, I'd probably assume I had some sort of creepy stalker, since I don't post my address online. Shocked I know it's out there with online directories and stuff, but still.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:

nsanelilmunky wrote:
I just wish I drew faster because I have a ton of stories in my head waiting to get out, but I'm still stuck here refining my drawing and training myself to go all digital so that I don't have an endless search for a scanner.

I agree, haha. I have a bunch of stories I want to do but I can only really focus on one at a time since drawing takes a good deal of time. Is buying a scanner out of the question?

I own one, it's just back in the US... in storage. I might dig it out to take with me to the dorms, but between it and my printer, it's a bit of an unneeded load. I can take my laptop and tablet anywhere but can't always bring the scanner with.
Varethane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, most of my reasons have shown up in here already. XD Especially the low/no overhead cost.... That and I had friends IRL who were into webcomics, so I was acquainted already with the idea of letting people read comics on the internet. I loved comics, and I loved the idea of letting people read comics I had made; since I was unlikely to get picked up by a publisher, that left the web as pretty much the only medium to distribute my work until I was good enough to make something worthy of print.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always loved comicstrips. Peanuts, Calvin, Shoe, Wizard of Id, Ziggy, Garfield...I couldn't wait until the morning paper arrived just to grab the edition. And Sunday, Sunday was like Christmas.

I'm a little older, and not a internet savvy as I should have been about 15 yrs ago, when I attempted my first comicstrip. Couldn't find anything to do with it, no one to accept it so I gave up.

With my new webcomic, I kind of stumbled upon it. I put it up on the blog I was writing at the time, just as a filler and people seemed to respond to it. So I switched it over to its own site and have been enjoying myself tremendously ever since.
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been writing stories since I was very young, and even got to publish some.

Some years ago, I've become interested in cinema and kind of self-taught me how to write movie scripts, then proceeded to write a romantic comedy that I thought sucked (until I saw a quite succesful Mexican movie that could have been my script, but I digress)

When I came up with the M9 Girls story, I pictured it as an anime, together with j-pop music mixed with Tangerine Dream (yes, I am that old), and then wrote it complete as a novel, then translated it into a movie script, but , alas, animation (and movies) is an expensive art, too much for an impromptu hobby. So I decided to go for a graphic novel, and realized I would have to pay for someone to draw it. Given the investment, I decided it was worth publishing the result of my efforts, so I bought a domain, put together the web site and here we are today. Little I would know that this pet project of mine would take me to comic cons, allow me to meet wonderful people and stay late at comic forums. In only a year.

Now I want to make action figures of my characters in the fashion of anime dolls. That would have seem crazy a year ago, but now I think, why not?

Cheers from the Hippo

Aglari

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started because I felt an intense NEED to have something in my name. I needed to be able to point at something and say "I did that" and be proud of that fact.

For a while I just drew pictures and posted them on deviant art, but it wasn't scratching the itch. The disconnect from image to image meant I had little incentive to draw another one, and it kept me from challenging myself because if I had a hard time drawing something I would just change it into something I'm more comfortable drawing. Lack of challenge meant lack of growth and...yeah. Plus the disconnect between images gave it less value in my mind as a unit -- it was just a pile of things, not an accomplishment.

I needed something better, and felt pretty inspired by the world of indie video games. I have quite a few friends with computer science degrees, and we made a few attempts but nothing really made it off the ground. Its certainly something I'd like to attempt again sometime but I decided its definitely not the place to grow artistically. When I figure out how to make things look cooler I have to either keep it to myself until the next project, or go back and edit all the other assets I've finished to match.

I had some false starts with comics too, mainly because I stubbornly didn't want to get my fingers dirty with writing. Most notably I tried running a forum adventure on the MS Paint Adventure forums because I thought I could just come up with a loose story outline and my readers would feed my characters voices. Turns out no, you're pretty much just doing a comic and letting your readers roll the dice every once in a while. I pretty quickly realized I would have to start WRITING or my comic would go nowhere and its denizens would be hella boring, so I just stopped updating it.

Then came along a friend with a story.

Suddenly we found ourselves in a project with some amount of longevity. After trying to figure out how to make video games, comics were a much more inviting project. The barrier for entry really is quite low, but since diving into it I've been really blown away with how much depth there is. I've even dipped my toes into some writing. Fancy that.
Justinfh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started doing Webcomics because it's a great way to tell a story. Not only does the visuals aid the story, but Webcomics are a great way to get your story published for every to see.
DirtyDinoRock

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd been putting out a xeroxed comic around my city but a friend who knows a lot of webcomics said moving online might be a good idea. It's been about 6 months since I started putting it online and just having to keep up with the schedule of it has been good for my output but it's also been pretty difficult.
Mbeast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmasters wrote:
I like the way each comic is a final product. I'm one of those people who has the half-written novel, the half-written screenplay, etc., and knows that none of them are really good enough to see the light of day even if I finish them. But the webcomic, boom, here's my product. And then here's another and another. I don't know why I find that satisfying; compensation for not being able to see to the end other projects I suppose.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com

I'm right there with you on this. There's something immensely satisfying on just finishing something and then moving on to the next thing. For years I tried to tweak things until they were just right and all that resulted in was having nothing to show for any of my work. I'm thinking of taking the same approach to my other writing projects. Release snippets or chapters for free on the website, say once a week. Once the novel, or whatever, is completed, it seems to be a pretty simple process to release it on Amazon. Or I just may leave it up on the website.

Mark of the Beast got started because weird things kept on happening to myself and my friends. The inside joke came to be that we all had the "mark of the beast".

Originally, I was going to do it as a screenplay, but as the story developed I found myself wanting to stick with these characters for a lot longer. I've always wanted to do a comic, but never had any luck finding an artist that wouldn't flake out on me just as the project was starting. For Mark of the Beast, I decided the easiest thing to do was just learn how to draw myself. Unfortunately, the guy who was going to put the website together and run it for me bailed on the project. So, I had to tackle learning that skill set as well. Certainly got off to a rocky start, but that seems rather fitting for how the story came to be.
buffylove

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started in a roundabout way. I'm a writer not an artist. I tried to find people to collaborate with and after over a year of getting people on board for projects and having them all drop off (even for 4-6 page shorts), I finally decided to offer some money to see if I could get someone interested. I wasn't confident since I was close to broke and could only offer a couple bucks, but I found three artists who were interested. I took their stories to Wondercon and tried to show them around, hoping to get an anthology interested. No luck with that, but Whilce Portacio was generous to look at them and offer comments and he suggested I put them on the web. I didn't want to just throw them up where they might be quickly forgotten, so I came up with a framing device and tried to find more artists for more stories and my horror webcomic anthology THE BOOK OF LIES was born!
Sylvia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never asked myself the question "why am I making a comic instead of something else?" I was always just like "I want to make a comic." But now that I'm doing it, I find that it actually utilizes my writing skills much better than plain fiction. I never enjoyed writing a lot of description, and I always enjoyed writing dialogue. This way I can literally "show, don't tell." It seems natural to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: