TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selling Fanart (is it bad?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
I don't like the idea of selling fan art. But it's reeeeally difficult to maintain that ethical stand when all the other exhibitors around you at the comic convention are selling fan art and making a killing at it. It's what the market demands.

Other people in my city are selling crack cocaine and making a lot of money doing so.
That doesn't make it difficult for me to make an ethical stand to not sell crack cocaine myself.
Clint Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
We are encultured and encouraged in our society to believe that anyone who is successful has done so by stealing from others. Therefore, we inherently assume that the corporation became a corporation via theft.

There's no need for assumption, you can go look up several documented instances of Marvel and DC cheating their creative talent while profiting obscenely off of their work. Or if you get a chance to talk to some of the seminal comics artists like Jim Steranko they can tell you things off the record that'll make your blood boil.

Or better yet, don't. If you want to continue enjoying the comics with an unfettered heart, it's best not to peek behind the curtain...
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb wrote:
ttallan wrote:
I don't like the idea of selling fan art. But it's reeeeally difficult to maintain that ethical stand when all the other exhibitors around you at the comic convention are selling fan art and making a killing at it. It's what the market demands.

Other people in my city are selling crack cocaine and making a lot of money doing so.
That doesn't make it difficult for me to make an ethical stand to not sell crack cocaine myself.

That's a great comparison, thanks. Good to know we've come a long way from the Seduction of the Innocent.

My point is, comic con artist alleys are loaded with such crack cocaine dealers. Fans flock to artists selling prints or original art of their own unique versions of famous characters like Batman or Doctor Who. And it's no secret to webcomickers that if they want to sell prints or t-shirts, they'd better not put their own characters on them because no one wants to buy those.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe... con artist alleys...

The thing about the Dinosaurs "robbing" their talent, is that the talent in question (with the notable exceptions of Seigel and Schuster who were minors) were working under contracts they'd entered into as adults. My grandfather had to transfer a bunch of patents (that would have made him and succeeding generations rich) to AT&T because he was an engineer under the same sort of contract. I have yet to hear anyone bespeak the ironic justice of tapping a U-verse line because of all the engineers that Bell screwed over.

In any case, morals are personal things when you get right down to it. Laws are how you face society, and ethics are how you face yourself. Morals are how you face your god.
Traegorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morals are a personal code.

Not everyone brings a diety into it. Wink

(I get your point -- I'm just nipping that in the bud)
mcmasters

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traegorn wrote:

Aw come on! Nothing is more productive to building a forum community than a nice discussion about religion!

Very Happy
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmasters wrote:

Aw come on! Nothing is more productive to building a forum community than a nice discussion about religion!

Very Happy

Hahahaha.
Oh, please no.

Blog
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Clint Wolf, even if you were correct, it still doesn't justify you stealing from Marvel and DC and giving to yourself.

There may be instances where Marvel and DC have cheated people. This does not make them infinitely guilty, where they must pay at every turn for ever to everyone because they did the wrong thing once. They should be punished for the incident in question by the legal system, not by a mob of profit-grubbers trying to justify their own get-rich-quick-off-someone-else's-work scheme.

As Casual points out, those men entered into an agreement with their employer and for the most part were paid the amount that they agreed to for the work which they did. Most people do most of the time. The fact that Marvel and DC knew the value of their work better than they did and used it more effectively than they did does not change this. If they knew what they were selling when they cashed their paychecks, then they were not robbed.
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmasters wrote:
I prefer a pleasant chat about socio-economics myself. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
I prefer a pleasant chat about socio-economics myself. Very Happy

Me too, as long as there's some politics and sex in there somewhere.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we can make some disparaging comments about other people's art and spelling proficiency. I'm with you on that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? Just ak the companies who own them what their stance is.

I was looking into whether or not I could show video game footage in videos I wanted to run ads with, and so I just checked out where the companies stood. Some companies freely allowed people to make money off of footage from their games, others were not so willing.

If you want to sell fanart of someone's IP, just ask them how they stand on that issue. Some companies will have a policy that says you can freely do that. Some might ask for part of your earnings.

Just ask.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traegorn wrote:
Morals are a personal code.
Not everyone brings a diety into it. Wink

Mea Culpa. Was using "god" (little "g", mind you) to differentiate between personal and socially imposed conscience. Whether you believe in a od or any gods is your thing entirely and I apologize if my mention of superhuman entities as a social construct for behavioral regulation made anyone uncomfortable.
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being not from the USA I've been holding my opinion for a while.

Notwithstanding the legality of selling fan-art (short version: it is not ) this is what is usually accepted behavior in the conventions I attend:

Nobody will complain at someone selling drawings of a character he works with professionally (So Dan Slot and Humberto Ramos will be selling chromes of Spider-man, the idea is that they will sign them)

Nobody will complain at an artist making drawings of a character he works with professionally (So Ramos can sketch a Spidey for me, that is fine)

In Artists' Alley, you are expected to show your original work, so actually selling fan-art is heavily frowned-upon...
...but, we poor starving artists have to make ends met, and pay for our stand so we...
...usually bring a catalog of characters we like to draw so that visitors can ask us to draw their favorite character on the spot...

In short, being asked to draw fan-art of a known character is more or less ok, as long as we showcase also original work, having pre-printed material is frowned upon.

For the convention I attended, we were strictly forbidden by organizers from selling anything that had a copyright. So I showcased my original art.

What we did was that we offered to draw portraits of people on my artist's style. In the end we made more money of such portraits than what we did on printouts...
C'est la vie...

Cheers from the Hippo

Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to hold your tongue just because you're not a Merckin, Hippo. Unless the population has vastly changed, TWCL is at least as much Canadian and Brit as it is USAvian. Also, I'm not entirely sure that Vulpes is even from this expression of three dimensional space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: