TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best illustration of music?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Best illustration of music? Reply with quote

It's really hard to take such a profound auditory experience like music and translate it to a soundless medium like comics. I'm going to have this challenge in my comic down the line, but for now I'm looking for inspiration. Does anyone have any favourite examples of creative ways various types of music can be drawn for comics?

I'm not looking for comics about music, necessarily. Just examples of where it's done really well.

Offhand, I can think of many good scenes in Scott Pilgrim, the way characters experience classical music in the manga Nodame Cantabile, and I recall at least one nice page in Girl Genius.

Anybody got any others?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it would depend on what type of music and your own personal relations to it.

When I hear music, I tend to associate movement with it, so when visualizing music in a comic, I would likely to have some type of movement with it. Some examples that I could find quickly (I don't know enough webcomics to name any)
one
two
three
four

But then, it's different from person to person. There's people who associate specific notes with specific colours. For them, it would be better to vary the colour of the words depending on what note you want it to represent. Other's might find it more like a hand grabbing their ear and dragging them away.
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsanelilmunky, those are great examples! Thanks!
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm Calvin and Hobbes usually did this pretty well! Here is a Google image search for that with decent results.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my opinion, I'd say that for a comic it will be the reactions and actions of the characters that convey the emotion of the music the best.

But beyond that, you could craft the world itself to bend and flow with the style, as if the world itself sways gracefully to the sweet tones...
MindChimera

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I don't think it's quite what you're looking for, I always liked how Sam & Fuzzy incorporated some song lyrics in this scene here.

If I were to do it, I would be sure to include a lot of vibrant color, preferably mixing around. I used to know a girl who has a form of synesthesia where she literally sees music as color.
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR!

You could take advantage of the fact that this is a digital media and do something like this:

http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2011/12/24/2863/

Or this:

http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2012/04/11/400-the-history-of-nintendo/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: