TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kickstarters
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Kickstarters Reply with quote

Just curious which kickstarters everyone's taken part in or are taking part in.

I'm currently backing the Dresden Codak one and Kel McDonald's kickstarter (she makes Sorcery 101, current kickstarter is to get From Scratch reprinted).

I wish the Dresden Codak one would get up to $500K. I want the Hob Companion. I've already upped my pledge twice on that one because the first time a tier had extra spaces open and the second time be added a bundle option so people could add extra items from his shop to their swag.

For McDonald's... it's only her smaller story From Scratch that is being reprinted. I'm up to the tier where I get a copy of all the books, but I bet she'd have met her goal already if book 1 of sorcery 101 had been included.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if no one is going to reply to me, I'll just use this thread to celebrate.

Woo! Dresden Codak just reached $500K and it's still climbing fast! Backers get the Hob Companion now! Might get the $530K goal and maybe even the $550K goal. I'm sceptical of the $600K goal though.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also backing the Dresden Codak one and yes, I just went woo! when I checked the site and noticed it had passed the $500,000 mark. It's currently sitting as the third most funded comic Kickstarter with Penny Arcade a little under $14,000 ahead. It's entirely possible it will bet that in the last few hours, though I'm pretty sure Order of the Stick's position in first is safe for a while yet.

The only other comic Kickstarter I've backed so far was The Whole Story: Winter 2013, though I have been thinking about backing this one too.

Blog
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I would REALLY like a print copy of all of Sorcery 101, but I might think about backing for these smaller books anyway...

Let's see. I've backed...

Order of the Stick (print only books)
Homestuck (not for a print so I guess it doesn't entirely count)
The Abaddon (pdf of backer only comic)
The Adventures of the 19XX (for a bag, .pdf copies)
Dark Zoey (print comic)
Biopunk (print comic)
The Book of Da (print comic)
Dresden Codak (print comic)

Would I back more? Yep! I really like fun backer goodies too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've backed a few...
Fesworks had something if I recall
Wagon Webcomics Battle card game...
I'm currently supporting Gordon McAlpin's new book...

I'm a bit burned out on kickstarter though... too many flaky projects, pay me to do what really isn't going to cost me anything projects or people who are doing well-enough to not need kickstarter but using it anyway...

The third bit sounds a bit snobbish, I admit, but it's just a personal mindset... in my head, kickstarter is for those who are just getting started, not already commercial successes... not sure if there's any basis for that thought, but it's the way I look at KS...

Also be sure to read ttallan's
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n9uxu wrote:
The third bit sounds a bit snobbish, I admit, but it's just a personal mindset... in my head, kickstarter is for those who are just getting started, not already commercial successes... not sure if there's any basis for that thought, but it's the way I look at KS...

I think one thing to remember with that sometimes the popular people aren't as financially sound as you'd imagine. Most people that live off their art are doing it on the cheap.

I remember reading an interview with a lead singer. His band were in the middle of an international tour and sales of the current album were well above previous numbers. The interviewer referred to him as a 'rock star'. His response was to point out that rock stars have money and he didn't have enough money on him to buy lunch.

Blog
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's somewhat related, but not really...

Currently Spinddrift (OH MY GOTH THE ART IS AMAZING) is looking for donations to upgrade their equipment. I'm helping them out.

Anyway, actual kickstarters...

I don't mind the kickstarters by those who are 'making it' because it gives one the chance to get exclusive stuff, they're not exactly making it Michael Jackson style, and it gets people to the site and looking through other kickstarters too. If you back something or start a KS, it gets put on your profile for all to see. People doing random clicking might find their way to a kickstarter that needs more help.

Oh, and Metruis. McDonald said over twitter that if this kickstarter goes well, she might have one to have Sorcery 101 reprinted (book1).
narwhalknight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to start a kickstarter, but being from Canada I dont have the option Sad
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

narwhalknight wrote:
I wanted to start a kickstarter, but being from Canada I dont have the option Sad

You could always try Indiegogo. It'll just be mixed in with a bunch of non-profits.
narwhalknight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of them. Ill check it out. Thanks!
n9uxu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendyw wrote:
I think one thing to remember with that sometimes the popular people aren't as financially sound as you'd imagine. Most people that live off their art are doing it on the cheap.

No, I'm differentiating between established and wickedly, commercially successful/demonstrable piles of fat cash in the bank, and again, it's my own personal bias on where I want to toss my KS funds. I find browsing through KS tends to yield a bunch of people who don't need kickstarter, but are using it anyway, and a bunch of folks who really shouldn't be trying to fund their inane or poorly-realized project, and it's the minority, the stuff in the middle that I'm looking to fund/take part it.

But again... personal bias... take it for what it's worth...

Also be sure to read ttallan's
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, anyone else looking to back The Cloud Factory?
Varethane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I backed Unsounded (got the book in the mails a few weeks ago and it looks beautiful!), Namesake, and the Homestuck game.

I think that's it for online comics; the only other thing I've backed is the Ghost Book compilation/anthology thing, because it looked so beautiful. Will probably back more things in future, though! There are a bunch of other comics I'd love to have printed books from.

Cloud Factory looks beautiful and I am sorely tempted! Though I may end up waiting until they release a Volume 1 for the comic proper... have to think on it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got wind of this on Twitter.

Apparently there's someone out there that's taking kickstarters and making clones of it on IndieGoGo to con people out of their money.

They've done it with "Hinges"...

And for "Like a Virus."

If any of you have a kickstarter or are looking to fund something on IndieGoGo, be careful.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw about that yesterday. As odd as it initially seemed to me it makes absolutely perfect sense as a scam.

Confused

Blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: