TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Social Rejection" =)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
topjimcomics

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: "Social Rejection" =) Reply with quote

I'm needing some pity comfort. I'm only on weekly updates, and I put one out yesterday, and so I think it's normal to expect that yesterday and today would be my largest "visit" count. Now I know I'm not a pro, and I don't expect to get thousands of visits, but I'm just bummed. Out of 88 Facebook followers (mostly friends), 375 Facebook friends total (I share updates of course), 140 twitter followers, posting updates on 3 different webcomic boards, and deviant art in 3 groups, I've managed to pull in 29 total visits.

I'm not necessarily bummed that I don't get clicks from forums and social media of people I don't know, but man, I can't pull in more than 29 clicks from people I know, ouch!

Any ideas?
mcmasters

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your head up. You get more hits than I do if that helps! Even if nobody sees it, you're being a producer and not a consumer. Produce something that satisfies you and be happy with it. I haven't given too much thought to strategies to maximize attention for mine, I think if I do it will be a waste of energy and only lead to frustration.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
topjimcomics

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I decided early on that I wasn't concerned really with being "successful", it's more the wonder why so few people I really know will even click on my updates.

There are too many people out there WAAAY more talented than me (like you, now I'm hooked on your comic =).
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only think of three people in my extended family who read my comic on a regular or semi-regular basis. One of my two closest friends doesn't read it, and most of other friends don't read it, either. So there's that.

On the other hand, I know I often have a hard time reading the creative works of my friends. I'm much more comfortable giving critiques, good or bad, to strangers than I am to close friends, and I always worry that they'll expect one. Easier to just not read it, than to have to face judging them. So I don't complain too loudly to my friends who aren't reading my stuff. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fresh perspective, ttallan, I appreciate it!
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one I know personally reads my comic. A few friends used to, but they seemed to have stopped. Or if they still do they no longer mention it to me. And I don't talk about it with co-workers or in social gatherings - I don't want to come off like a salesperson amongst friends. If any of my family have read it, they've never mentioned it to me. So you're not alone.

For me, I've found friends and family to be the least interesting or objective critics anyway. Usually they just tell you what they think you want to hear and then quickly ask you to pass the syrup and change the topic. Though real friends will tell you if they hate it to your face, but it still sucks to hear it. The first unsolicited compliment from someone you have never met will make up for any silence from your immediate social group.

Just keep at it and enjoy it. The proportion of internet comics fans to comic sites has changed dramatically in the past five years, so expect tough competition (i.e., there are now more sites for roughly the same amount of fans). Plus, it can take years to build up even a small following (except for the very lucky) and with some of the recent image search rule changes it may be even harder now. If you enjoy it, do it. If you don't, then do something you do like.
afterthedream

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: "Social Rejection" =) Reply with quote

topjimcomics wrote:
Any ideas?

Get a signature on this forum that links to your comic! I was all like... I know that feel, bro... I'll check out your comic. But then I didn't know what your comic was or where to find it.

On a more general note, in my experience you generally have to make a tremendous amount of online noise to get even a handful of people to take notice. Free social media advertising is absolutely saturated with noise. If you're willing to pay to advertise, you have less voices to compete with, but even then the returns aren't amazing. Ad banners can very occasionally get 1 or 2% click-through rates, but it's usually more like .1 - .4%, i.e. for every 250-1,000 people who see your message, 1 might actually check it out.

So I guess what I'm saying is, don't feel bad about your difficulties in getting readers; it's an enormous challenge for anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suggest or plan for people I know to read my comic. If they don't read comics, then I don't plan on them reading mine. I never ask them to show me pictures of their day job. Wink

As for having 300+ followers, here is something that might be happening based on a conversation I had with my father...
Only my father out of my entire friends and family take the time to read my comic. And even he misses my Facebook updates.

"Bill, are you still doing your comic?"
"Dad, I have three updates a week. Don't you read your Facebook notifications?"
"Sure, but I have over 330 friends. By the time I get on Facebook I'm not about to scroll down and read everything."

So you might be getting lost in a sea of other posts. Try sending out more than one notification per comic. Your friends should understand. Very Happy
Justinfh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got nobody checking out my Facebook fan page, I get about 1 or 2 likes on my comics, and I get less than 1O views a day. How do you think I feel?
topjimcomics

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Social Rejection" =) Reply with quote

afterthedream wrote:

Get a signature on this forum that links to your comic! I was all like... I know that feel, bro... I'll check out your comic. But then I didn't know what your comic was or where to find it.

Does anyone know how to do this? I send a PM to wendyw, but the last forum post discussing signatures was in 2010 I think...
topjimcomics

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate the Robot

This is what I'd like my signature to be, except the banner would be the link...
afterthedream

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topjimcomics wrote:
This is what I'd like my signature to be, except the banner would be the link...

Just put the IMG part inbetween the the URL tags instead of the text "Nate the Robot" and it will come out like this:

It takes the admins a while to enable people's signatures sometimes, so in the meantime you can just manually add it to the end of each post. Just save the appropriate text in a notepad file on your desktop or something and copy and paste.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook won't do you too much good. They changed the way that updates/posts are selected, so those that watch your page(s) will only get a percentage popping up in their home feed. And even then, it's not 100% of the people who get the sporadic posts. This is also a percentage. They'd have to go onto your page and manually select to get your posts as notifications to get all of them.
topjimcomics

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsanelilmunky wrote:
Facebook won't do you too much good. They changed the way that updates/posts are selected, so those that watch your page(s) will only get a percentage popping up in their home feed. And even then, it's not 100% of the people who get the sporadic posts. This is also a percentage. They'd have to go onto your page and manually select to get your posts as notifications to get all of them.

I've wondered that. I knew it was that way for my page, but I was hoping at least a decent amount of my friends would see it from my own share, but maybe that is just a false assumption.
argylefox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have a few things to say:
First, I think 29 clicks is a pretty okay number (unless you are after money - then what are you doing drawing webcomics?). I usually get so much less than this (except the last coupla days - the Sarah Zero Sex Drive got me over 1800 veiws! woohoo!).

Secondly, don't be too bummed by what you get one day. We update every Monday, but Tuesday is our big day, as everyone knows that we update 'sometime' on Monday, which means anywhere up to midnight. So tey com on Tuesday to be sure.

Thirdly, how do people know about your comic? is it all word of mouth? You will be lucky for that to take off. To really pick up views, you need to advertise. One way to do that is to paste your website everywhere. I agree with making some link in all your posts. it may only get a couple, but who knows when you will get the magical viral connection.

BTW, I read somewhere that these are 'temporary' forums, since the main ones died. You must email someone to change your sig. I am too lazy for this, so I just type out:

-Max of Indifferently Evil

(so give us a link to your site, as afterthedream said - it helps, a little!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: