TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hand pain with tablets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Hand pain with tablets Reply with quote

I've been finding out that drawing with my tablet for somewhat long stretches of time makes my hand hurt. Am I holding the pen wrong or is this something that will pass eventually?
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What angle do you have your tablet at?
If you're using it flat maybe grab yourself a cheap angled laptop stand or something similar to see if that helps.

Blog
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hold the stylus the same way I hold a pencil or pen when writing. Does having the tablet at an angle really help? I thought it was always for personal preference.
wendyw
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might.
If your current pain is a result or partially a result of the angle your hand's at when you draw then changing the angle of the surface you're drawing on can help. Even if you normally draw or write on paper at the same angle there could still be something you're doing differently that you don't realise which is causing that angle to become a problem.

Then again it could be something entirely unrelated, but it's probably worth a shot.

Blog
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resting it against my laptop did help a little. The stylus is bigger than most pen/cils and I am constantly trying to avoid hitting the button. :/

Then again, it might also have to do with it being my left hand. A few years ago I was riding with someone in a golf cart. They turned a corner too fast and I flew out and landed on said hand. I have my hand brace hiding somewhere at home... which doesn't help me at all here. Razz
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just you. My fingers get numb when I use my tablet. I'll try angling it, as wendy suggests.
n9uxu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too... some days I go numb in about 5 minutes... others, I'm good all night. Just have to keep shaking the feeling back into my hand.

Dave
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, do you mean the stylus specifically causes hand pain? Or holding any writing instrument for long periods will cause hand pain?

I'll assume you mean the second one. For me, one thing I always have to be conscious of not gripping the pen or brush or whatever too tightly. If I can remember to loosen up, I can avoid those fun shooting pains. Second, remembering to stretch every day before a drawing session really makes a big difference. This YouTube vid was meant for drummers rather than cartoonists, but the stretches are great.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angling and stretching really do help along with a wrist support for when the pain is really bad. I remember when I first got a tablet how much trouble I had with hitting the buttons too. What I did to help with that was I always kept my buttons pointing up so that I could get to them if I needed while they were still out of the way. I also hold my stylus closer to the tip. It helps to use a real pen about the same size while doing other doodling or drawing to get used to the size of the stylus so that doesn't bother you as much.
Gar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wrist exercises in the video ttallan recommended are really very good.

Someone on a different forum recommended wearing a wrist brace to bed. I can't remember where I read this, but they emphasised wearing it while you slept was more important than wearing it while you worked. Someone also said a standard leather 'rocker' wrist band worked better for them than a medical brace.
pdonz2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lefty as well, and get pain if I draw on the tablet too long on a flat surface. Regarding avoiding hitting the button on the stylus--I had the same problem, and bought this , which comes with a buttonless grip. i use that all the time now, and it helps.

nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.

ttallen, my hand goes numb when writing for too long, but drawing with my stylus causes pain. I'm not sure what makes the difference.

Thanks for the video, I'll check it out later.
fluffy
is not a fish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a cheap document stand as a makeshift easel for my tablet. It helps a lot.

You might also be holding the stylus too tightly.

i am a busy bee
Aglari

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On most tablets you can disable the pen buttons in driver settings, or worst case you can just pull the button out entirely. Trying to dodge the buttons messed up my grip, but with it disabled everything feels fine.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually back to drawing flat. The having it at an angle was nice, but it would never stay there because of not having a stand. Doing the stretches actually help. I've had a few days now where there's been no pain with the stretches. Taking breaks helps too.

The problem I had with the buttons was mainly because I'm new to using a tablet. Now that I've had practice with it, the buttons aren't really a problem any more. My digital stuff still isn't up to the level of my traditional stuff, but it'll get there. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: