TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web Comic Conspiracy Theorem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Web Comic Conspiracy Theorem Reply with quote

The Web Comic Conspiracy Theorem

What you are about to read has been neither confirmed or denied by official representatives of the government.

Rumor has it that some webcomickers are planning to secretly hide trace URL information in their comic images. If some unsuspecting reader were to go to all participating websites, somehow managed to decode the secret code hidden in the image and actually linked to the hidden website therein revealed, they would receive ultra-secret awesomeness.

If such an organization did exist, here's what they would need to pull this off:

1. Volunteers. They would need collaborators to place the secret encoding information on their websites at a specified date. We probably need at least 3 to pull this off, no more than, say 15. (They would need to be currently updating their webcomics, which disqualifies me)

2. A hidden URL. Someplace safe, where prying eyes can't get to unless they know the code. Would be extra beneficial if someone could make a secret password that needed to be entered. (Something that I might be willing to provide)

3. Something awesome. Maybe a group picture of all the comic characters revealed in their spy/secret agent outfits. Or maybe something even more awesome than that.

4. A secret code to decipher. (This I may also be able to provide. I would recommend something relatively simple, like a single row of black and white pixels in a corner of the image, which spell out in binary ASCII the URL to go to, and perhaps also a secret code just for kicks. Each participant gets a piece of the URL, so readers have to go to all conspiring websites to get the whole thing)

5. A date on which all members would agree to post their next update, including the encoded information, and link to the other conspirators on their main page.

6. Rules about hints. The conspirators would need to agree on what they could and could not affirm or deny to their readers. Perhaps a generic Conspiracy statement, which they could all post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I will have no part in such a thing. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need someone to walk among them, slowly earning their trust for a period of 8 years.
REDACTED

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be the best idea I have ever heard.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Web Comic Conspiracy Theorem Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas I have no idea what you just said. But you had me at "conspiracy." I'M ALL IN.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
mcmasters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Web Comic Conspiracy Theorem Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
3. Something awesome. Maybe a group picture of all the comic characters revealed in their spy/secret agent outfits. Or maybe something even more awesome than that.

We could each send a page or two of the original art we used. Or, if they give us their home address, we could send someone out to kill them.
Spencey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe participants post part of a QR Code (that square barcode thing) and somewhere else there is an instruction on how it fits together? Then, once you have it assembled it leads to the image or whodunnit or what haveyou!
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this has suddenly become popular again.

Ok, let's coordinate something. Who is up for this?
I'm not updating my comic right now, but I'm willing to coordinate this.

Spency?
mcmasters?
REDACTED?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. Pete's actually ex-KGB so I can work it into my next story arc. He finds out Susan's ex-CIA, hilarity ensures.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, this is sounding awfully ARG like already.

I love ARGs and Chaotic Storytelling.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure when I'll be returning to the comic (RL and mechanics keep hitting me in my old head), but I can neatly insert coded messages, etc. into my blog.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's the deal, everyone who wants to sign up needs to post as much here before the April 21st weekend.

In the meantime, I'll create a background cityscape image for a spy-action scene of some sort. When it's done, I'll post it here (maybe I should e-mail it to everyone to keep it secret), and everyone can insert a drawing of their characters in secret agent garb in the image.

When the image is done, I'll put it up at a URL on my website. I'll give each participant a part of the URL to include in their update. You can encode it in binary, Klingon, backwards, igpay-atinlay, graphic elements of your background, text hidden in a newspaper in your comic, whatever you see fit as long as it's reasonable that the average reader can find and decode it. If you feel lacking in cryptography, e-mail me or other conspirators to get ideas.

Target Date Monday, Monday, March 6th, everyone will post their coded image/text on their website/blog along with a list of all other participants and a statement of neither confirmation or denial.

Does this timeline work for everyone?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fun, not that I'd ever be party to such a conspiracy. Wink

Also be sure to read ttallan's
MindChimera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to participate. Is each site going to link to all the other sites that are playing along, so the users know where to look? Or how is that going to work?

vulpeslibertas wrote:
Target Date Monday, Monday, March 6th...

Do you mean May? Wink
mcmasters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
vulpeslibertas wrote:
Target Date Monday, Monday, March 6th...

Do you mean May? Wink

It's secret code, MC. And now you will have to be liquidated. [makes silencer sound]

No I think May was meant. Will that be too soon to get this organized? And count me in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Jams and competitions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: