TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cintiq or tablet-pc?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I just got my Surface Pro, and it turns out that the API they use for the stylus and touchscreen is not only not supported by Photoshop, but is also not supported by GIMP, Paintshop, Painter, MyPaint, and altogether basically any program I had ever used or even heard of before.

So when I try to use GIMP, I can't get pressure sensitivity, or the eraser tip, and everything I use is just considered to be the same core pointer device.

So... That's why I asked about their return policy before I bought anything.
n9uxu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... surprised to hear that as I know people are using them with Sketchbook Pro... wonder what the deal is? Wacom tech isn't exactly new...
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n9uxu wrote:
Wow... surprised to hear that as I know people are using them with Sketchbook Pro... wonder what the deal is? Wacom tech isn't exactly new...

Sketchbook Pro and one other program that I never heard of before I got the Surface are the only drawing applications that work with it.

I am very displeased. I'm not spending fifty bucks to get some program I've never used, especially since I'd still need to import my work into GIMP to finish everything up. The point was to draw everything directly in GIMP.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is a WaCom device? It didn't come prepackaged with an "essentials" version of compatible software? That seems odd for WaCom...
n9uxu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So very glad I opted not to stick that Windows 8 disk into my computer...

Also be sure to read ttallan's
hollylaing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb wrote:
Oh wow, look what just got announced:

http://gizmodo.com/5991253/wacoms-new-13+inch-multitouch-tablet-wont-quite-break-the-bank

New tablet by Wacom, and it looks friggin sweet...

Better hold off on that purchase, Murphy.

OMG, I just got a 12wx in May of last year, and this one has TWICE the pressure sensitivity and an HD screen! *sigh* I should have known better seeing as the 12wx has been out for a while, but I just assumed wacom was ignoring the lower end cintiqs.

Anyway, just so you know the 12wx has some issues. Overall it is a great tablet, and it is so much more intuitive to work right on the screen so that alone is a huge bonus. However, I've had some problems, one is that it isn't exactly portable, the cords that come with the tablet are pretty clunky, and take up quite a bit of space; another issue (and this is a pretty big one for me) is that the hues are difficult to match with your computer monitor, I had to calibrate my cintiq well over a dozen times till it matched up. The biggest issue I've had with color are with the blue hues, I would paint something blue on the cinitiq only to appear purple on my computer screen. I've downloaded every update for the cintiq, and calibrated it to death but I still have yet to find a solution to this problem. Lastly, the screen can seem a bit dull, like the brightness needs to be turned up a bit, it's not terrible but when you compare it to the screen of a mac book pro, it kind of falls short.

Other than that, it has it's issues but in the end it's a solid tablet. I'm sure all that info was mostly irrelevant as the Cintiq 13HD is now out, but I'm let to wonder if it will have the same color issues. I'm guessing it will be similar to the other HD models in that respect.

Now I'm going to go cry in the corner that I didn't wait to buy the 13HD. lol

My deviantART
TWCL Profile
topjimcomics

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any of you that are using a Win8 tablet or a Cintiq, do you have the problem of the pen-to-screen friction being zero, such that it's so slippery it's hard to be precise? If so, do you know of any workarounds?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different types of tips for the wacom stylus. I was using the felt tips for a good long while as they gave a nice screen "drag". However, I switched to the stroke nibs (the have a spring which helps me feel the changes in pressure). They also have a rubber tipped tip upon which I heap all of my hatred, but there is more resistance.

Dave
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollylaing wrote:
The biggest issue I've had with color are with the blue hues, I would paint something blue on the cinitiq only to appear purple on my computer screen.

1) Is your computer screen properly set up? You talked about tweaking your cintiq, but what about your regular computer screen?
2) Try other computers and screens. Just make a simple image and port it around to a bunch of places.
3) Did you try calling WACOM support? That could be a defect in your screen. I can't say for sure because I can't see exactly how strong of a difference this is, but considering that you haven't said anything about red not showing up right, I wonder if there is a problem with your device.

I use two different monitors, three if you count the laptop, so I can view how colors look on different screens. It's important to not assume your screen is giving you a perfect image.
n9uxu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non-HD cintiqs are definitely a bit duller than a standard LCD before calibration, but I've had no problem tweaking them as needed. I'm told the HD screens are much more vibrant...

So, I complained about the price of the 13" cintiq, but I notice that I've just installed win7 and photoshop on my hdmi-equipped laptop... just in case... silly ol'bear...

Also be sure to read ttallan's
junkes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: tablet-pc Reply with quote

Reported specs seem meaningless these days, with equally high spec’d tablets all performing at varying levels. The freelander pd20is an example of a tablet performing above average for its spec, it never crashed or failed to load anything and you’ll struggle to freeze it or slow it down.
Kristy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into getting a Cintiq about six months ago and ended up settling on buying an old Fujitsu Lifebook T5010 (I believe is what it is, I'm not at that computer currently) instead. Honestly, it was a good purchase on my part.

The Fujitsu Lifebook has a Wacom digitizer in it and maintains pretty good calibration between the stylus and the screen. I also like that it is portable and I can draw my comic on the go.

The big selling point to me was really just cost. Cintiq obviously has way better pressure sensitivity, but I am not a detailed painter. Even when I do color art, I normally only throw a few shades together and blend it. The Lifebook suited my needs just fine. And it was incredibly cheap. You can find one for about $300.

The processing power on it is a little sluggish, considering it is about 5 years old, but it runs Photoshop, Paint Tool Sai, and Manga Studio just fine even when working with large files.

The older tablet PCs that run Vista or Windows 7 have really dropped in price since Windows 8 came out. They're a very good value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: