TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So guess who's new here?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowCat2000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:07 am    Post subject: So guess who's new here? Reply with quote

Yep, I just joined. I figured I should try to read other webcomics besides Homestuck and maybe I could actually create my own Wink ?

My art isn't that good, but it's not too bad. I have many ideas for plots and characters, I just have a hard time figuring out what to do once I've figured something out and I just abandon many of my ideas and let them die in the idea graveyard.

But is this forum active anymore? I saw that the last time the most users were online was in 2005.....I WAS 5 then (lol I'm only 15 I'm young). I know that a few people must post occasionally, but it seems pretty dead to me. Confused
GrayFlames

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, welcome Smile i've noticed the forum's quiet too, but seeing as i'm not here often anyway it doesn't bother me. There's a lot of lurkers, i think? ^^

Anyway, what kind of ideas do you get? Write 'em down somewhere! You might wanna get back to them in a few years or somethin'.

One of my favourite webcomics (not mine, mine's a baby in comparison lol) is called Supernormal Step, you should check it out!
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum isn't really active anymore, but new people do still join, since the forum is one of the top search results for webcomic forums.

If you want to improve your artwork, doing a webcomic is really great for that. Having a reasonable schedule can help keep you drawing regularly, which helps your skills develop.

If you have plenty of ideas - maybe turn some of them into short stories and see how it goes? Then you can set the goal posts pretty close while figuring out if making comics is something you enjoy, or if it's something you just don't have enough time for.

If you want to do a long story, figure out which one interests you the most. The more excited about your own stuff you are, the more likely you'll be to stick with it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: I'm new too Reply with quote

Yeah, the forum doesn't seem very active, but it's where google sends you. I wonder if there are more active forums to discuss/announce webcomics elsewhere, or is the age of forums simply over, and we should all get twitterized.
67thAvenue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, like many things, it goes in waves. If we can get active then others will and we can build it back up.

However, you can follow me on twitter @the_jamie_show
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are active forums, but my experience is they tend to have tight cliques that make it very difficult to ever meld into the community: people just outright ignore you if you aren't their friend, so you can't ever really have a conversation. That or they're so big, everyone just talks past each other and, again, there isn't really conversation. This forum may be mostly dead, but I've still preferred it to every other webcomic forum I've joined.

There are tons of people on twitter though. Here's mine. It doesn't really have the same problems since you control how many people you follow and the quality of people you follow... or rather, if you manage who you follow, it doesn't have the same problems. Maybe not so much if you just mass-follow like some people do.

There's a webcomic chat hashtag on twitter now that goes every week which can be nice for finding new people to follow, though it honestly goes too fast to have real conversations most of the time (imo). But you can follow a bunch of people from there and start building a list of people you like.

Niche forums like this one where there isn't really news coming into the community/subject tend to just run out of things to talk about after a while, I think. New people come in and try to restart the same old conversations, which are new to them, but not to older members, and people just move on. And there just isn't enough to keep the conversation going for too long. On something like twitter, though, the conversation does a better job of evolving and surviving.

Not to say the forum won't work anymore or it's a bad idea. Just that twitter's pretty cool. And yeah, more people will join in the forum if there's a core group going.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: I'm new too Reply with quote

zocky wrote:
Yeah, the forum doesn't seem very active, but it's where google sends you. I wonder if there are more active forums to discuss/announce webcomics elsewhere, or is the age of forums simply over, and we should all get twitterized.

Yeah I'm too realized that
bobcat303

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:

There are tons of people on twitter though. Here's mine. It doesn't really have the same problems since you control how many people you follow and the quality of people you follow... or rather, if you manage who you follow, it doesn't have the same problems. Maybe not so much if you just mass-follow like some people do.

Yo I have NEVER heard of the twitter webcomic thing. Might try it out lol.
And @OP: welcome~~
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobcat303 wrote:
Yo I have NEVER heard of the twitter webcomic thing. Might try it out lol.

The hashtag is #webcomicchat. If you follow @webcomicchat, that's a bot that posts weekly questions for people to answer on set schedules. It basically ensures that tons of people will all be looking at the #webcomicchat hashtag at the same time, so there's lots of people you can try talking to. Also, if you start following these people, twitter starts recommending similar people to follow, so you can easily expand and find all sorts of webcomic creators to talk to.

There are a few copycat hashtags too. I think #comictalk is one, and there's #blackcomicschat specifically for black comic creators.

Twitter works best if you find a core group of people you like. Just trying to talk to masses leaves a lot of disconnect. So imo, use the hashtags to find people you like talking to (rather than to just spam your comic), and use those networking relations to grow your online presence and/or brand. Or, you know, just have a cool group of like-minded people to chat with.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinddChimera wrote:
This forum isn't really active anymore, but new people do still join, since the forum is one of the top search results for webcomic forums.

If you want to improve your artwork, doing a webcomic is really great for that. Having a reasonable schedule can help keep you drawing regularly, which helps your skills develop.

If you have plenty of ideas - maybe turn some of them into short stories and see how it goes? Then you can set the phenq diet pills at https://skinnyexpress.com/phenq-review for your goal posts pretty close while figuring out if making comics is something you enjoy, or if it's something you just don't have enough time for.

If you want to do a long story, figure out which one interests you the most. The more excited about your own stuff you are, the more likely you'll be to stick with it.

True I found this forum through Google too. What is the best software to create a web comic? I don't have photo shop.

Last edited by CaptianSparklez on Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wendy Wood
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptianSparklez wrote:

True I found this forum through Google too. What is the best software to create a web comic? I don't have photo shop.

If you want cheap and you use windows then Paintshop is pretty good. If you want cheaper than cheap (free) then download Gimp and Gimpshop and give them both a go.

Also, hello! ^_^
Harrington AW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaintTool SAI is another free option. I know an artist or two that use that regularly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaintTool SAI is actually not free - there is a cracked version of it that gets passed around which people mistakenly believe is free. It's by an independant developer and costs $40. If you're going to go with SAI, I'd really ask you to pay the cost. As a forum of artists, I'd hope you'd be able to understand how having your work stolen really sucks.

Honestly though, go with Manga Studio (aka Clip Paint Studio), especially for comics. Looks like the regular price for the Debut version is $40-50, but it seriously goes on sale all the time for around $20. The Debut doesn't have all the features of the full version (which has Ex after the name), but it has some cookie-cutter tools for panels and word balloons that are convenient if you like them. It's also the best inking software you can find, and version 5 colors very well, too.

PaintTool SAI doesn't have a text tool and you have to get creative if you want to cut panels in that software. It is not made for making comics. Very good for painting.

Gimp is free though. So whatever works for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was drawing I found Manga Studio to be the best. Especially since my Photoshop is so old.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: