TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking Some Career Advice.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SJeremyHicks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Seeking Some Career Advice..... Reply with quote

I am looking for some career help, and I thought I would check in here.
First, a short background on me:

I am 39 years old, I have a wife and two sons, and I work full time at a building supply company Ė been working there 18 years.
Itís never what I wanted to do, but somehow got sucked in, and stuck.
In 2007, I made up my mind that I wanted to pursue my dream of becoming a comic artist or illustrator. I began going to school part time, juggling family and work, and eventually earned my Bachelor in Media Arts and Animation in 2013.
Three years later, Iíve continued working for the construction supply company. Miserable and hating every moment of it. I continue though, because I have yet to find a way to earn enough money off of my art to support a family and pay the bills. I dread work every day, but I go.

Now, ultimately, my dream job would be to work from home as an illustrator. Freelance, contract, full time, multiple part time positions, anything. Iím certainly not looking to ďget richĒ, I just want to make enough of a living to pay the bills, which is all Iím looking for.
I WANT to work for it, and I am no stranger to sacrifice. Iím not a slacker, Iím not lazy. I work hard, dedicated, and driven. I am educated and talented.
But where do I start? What steps should I take?
I have a family to consider, and I can just walk out of my job (as much as I'd love to).
How can I earn enough to pay the pills, provide for my family, and do what I love?
I really want to succeed, but how?
Thank you all so much, and any advice would be most appreciated.

- Jeremy
sjeremyhicks.com
GrayFlames

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy Smile I'm pretty much there with you on that dream! I can't speak for how to get jobs, because I've not reached that goal either so all I've got are broad strokes of advice I've received from others. It's all a combination of skill, luck, contacts and divine intervention so it's important to keep looking at different job sites that could potentially have something for you. Do you know of any companies or people you'd like to work with? Perhaps you could look them up and see if they need anything done? Lots of companies have a 'careers' page.

Looking at your site, your art has a nice style and it's great to have a portfolio like that Smile however, the layout of the website could do better. Scrolling down, down, down can be off-putting for people who wanna see your art, and if you had thumbnails that expand into bigger images or something in that vein, it might look better. Of course, it's just one person's opinion. Very Happy

It takes guts and bull-headed determination to follow your dreams with so much else going on in your life, so big kudos to you and don't give up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: