TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this racist?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Is this racist? Reply with quote

This is part of a comic strip from 2001, after the Hainan Island incident (when a U.S. spyplane collided with a Chinese fighter jet). It was drawn before China returned the damaged plane to the U.S.

Here, a smiling face accompanies a message on a Chinese fortune cookie. The gag (not seen) is that small bits of metal from the damaged spyplane are also in the cookie.

This is a construction that I would like to use fairly regularly -- since our country's relationship with China is an important one -- but is it racist? Thanks for your opinion.

Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a doodle of a Chinese man with giant teeh, slits for eyes and a Coolie hat racist? yes, very.
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The caricature is most certainly racist. So you have two choices:

1- Acknowledge that the image is racist, explain the rationale for it and that you take responsibility for it. For example, in one of my webcomics some of the Romani characters describe themselves as "gypsies" (which is the equivalent to the N word.) Many non-Romani characters use this term as well in a derisive way since they are actually supposed to be bigots. Since word term is severely racist, but in context of the story is appropriate, especially since the comic is co-written by someone who is Romani, then I place a disclaimer explaining my rationale. Here's the example: http://barxotka.com/faq/#offended

2- Don't use that image if you aren't prepared to deal with the fallout it will inevitably bring on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... yeah. By definition, this is racist. Maybe you should have asked if it's offending, instead.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe you should have asked if it's offending, instead

@iaviv: Good point. So, how offensive is it? Just curious.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you could elaborate on what your project is or how the little image will fit in? And why it is so vital? Just curious.
Faultytwin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything like this is about context and perspective. Without seeing the whole thing its difficult to judge, but it seems like the Chinese are getting one over on the Americans and the little caricuture is a up yours to the reader(an American military officer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: