TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anti-Gay Activist to Write Superman Comic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire


Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Posts: 2962
Location: Oh my God, It's full of stars!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm a college student. We're made to hold to the research-everything rule


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! whew...you have to warn me before you tell one like that. I've got safe money that everyone here went through at least one year of college. The rule for undergrads is, "Kiss your TA's ass enough and feed him(her) back the same bullshit he tried to feed you." Research is only acceptable if it reinforces the predetermined opinion of the instructors.

As far as Fox News is concerned, I'll consider them a threat to honest reporting the minute CNN and MSNBC stop blaming Republicans and the Tea Party for everything that makes people feel even a little bad, including kitten sneezes.[/mockery]

So, back to Superman. I have to admit, I haven't read any comic books since about 1994. A few things conspired to take me out of the market. My comic shop closed (the owner was getting olkd, and he was a devout catholic, and the appearance and popularity of DC Vertigo and Marvel Edge made him wonder if he wasn't running a porn shop), plus I was becoming active in my community (through non-profits and the local community association), plus my wife and I looked at our finances, and decided we didn't lke being up to our necks in debt. All together, this made me decide that multiple subscriptions to a number of comics were a luxury I could no longer afford.

That being said, I'd like to address Aquapunk's statements regarding the relative relavence of Superman (and other hero archetypes). Superman (or someone like him) will always be relevant. He, like Hercules, is the impossible standard which no mere human can achieve, but to which we must aspire if we are not to sink into the muck. He is as remarkable for those things he chooses not to do as the things he does. Superman doesn't micromanage lives, even those close to him, and he doesn't get bogged down hunting small-timers unless they directly threaten his personal circle of kith and kin. He is the God-Hero. We can't be him, and that fills many of us with envy, but we must strive to be like him, knowing in advance that we will fail. The greatness is in the attempt. His relevance is in the standard he sets.
_________________
Casual Notice--commentary, comics and an appreciation for snappy hats.
S*P*Q*R
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nsanelilmunky



Joined: 12 Nov 2012
Posts: 120

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! whew...you have to warn me before you tell one like that. I've got safe money that everyone here went through at least one year of college. The rule for undergrads is, "Kiss your TA's ass enough and feed him(her) back the same bullshit he tried to feed you." Research is only acceptable if it reinforces the predetermined opinion of the instructors.


Nope. The point is to learn to think for yourselves. The professors tend to inspire debate and it is actual professors who do the teaching- not teaching assistants. You're thinking of high school.

As much as those without degrees would love to deny it, degrees are actually important and the various programs at universities do actually teach their students meaningful information. Community colleges aren't always the greatest, but work well as stepping stones to even higher education. I myself have an AA from a community college that allowed me to get some of my general education requirements out of the way before I enrolled at my university. Both the liberal arts and the science departments don't focus only on facts and figures. The knowing of how to locate information, the ability to appraise the quality of sources, and using that information to construct a well thought-out thesis is just as important, if not more so, than the actual reading of books and number crunching.

The fine arts department at my university is held to the same standard and I'm willing to bet the fine art universities such as MCAD are as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire


Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Posts: 2962
Location: Oh my God, It's full of stars!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said or suggested any of what you accused me of suggesting. As for whether or not college teaches critical thinking, I would submit that if you haven't learned to think objectively and critically review your sources (all of them) by the time you reach college, nothing you experience there will encourage such independent thought.

I'm done with that digression, now. Back to Superman, the God-Hero and his continued relevance to humans.
_________________
Casual Notice--commentary, comics and an appreciation for snappy hats.
S*P*Q*R
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!


Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1128
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, back on topic now. I've lost track in this 5-page-long thread of whether anyone here enjoys Superman comics enough to consider buying this, but if there are and if you're waffling about what to do, here's an option:

Challengers Comics in Chicago is going to donate all the profits from the sales of the issue(s?) to a human rights charity. There may be other stores taking a similar stance, but this is the one I found first. So you can have your cake and all that.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nsanelilmunky



Joined: 12 Nov 2012
Posts: 120

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said or suggested any of what you accused me of suggesting. As for whether or not college teaches critical thinking, I would submit that if you haven't learned to think objectively and critically review your sources (all of them) by the time you reach college, nothing you experience there will encourage such independent thought.

I'm done with that digression, now. Back to Superman, the God-Hero and his continued relevance to humans.


So you're one of those who gets huffy when people defend themselves from one of your personal attacks. Noted for later.

On Topic: Superman may be doomed regardless of a boycott. There's plenty of other fish in the sea if you want a superhero comic. I think the Hawkeye Initiative will have a larger effect on the industry than the boycott.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire


Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Posts: 2962
Location: Oh my God, It's full of stars!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should probably read messages all the way through instead of scanning them for words and phrases to get your dander up.
_________________
Casual Notice--commentary, comics and an appreciation for snappy hats.
S*P*Q*R
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat


Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 2489
Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
I really do appreciate this forum, where we can have discussions like this with a minimal amount of trolling. You people are all great.
Very Happy Guess I spoke too soon.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lo (Aquapunk)



Joined: 09 Oct 2009
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:




I wasn't specifically replying to your position, rather the position some others in the general comicsphere discussion are taking regarding the morality of dictating Card's employability based upon his personal views, and therefore even a bigot shouldn't be put out of work and struggle to put food on the table or somesuch. (And for some reason this is in a world where contract comic book writers get royalties.)

It would follow that any financial support of a product is implicit endorsement and that any non-support of a product is implicit rejection, and moreover that no creator deserves to not receive a paycheck for any reason. (Not actually having a reason, it seems, is the only way not to be a heartless consumer according to this.)

There were a few people making this sort of argument here, but I don't remember who they were.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire


Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Posts: 2962
Location: Oh my God, It's full of stars!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
vulpeslibertas wrote:
I really do appreciate this forum, where we can have discussions like this with a minimal amount of trolling. You people are all great.
Very Happy Guess I spoke too soon.

Those Billy goats were begging to be eaten...you could tell they wanted it...the way they dress...
_________________
Casual Notice--commentary, comics and an appreciation for snappy hats.
S*P*Q*R
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat


Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 2489
Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the billy goats don't want to be eaten, then it's been scientifically proven, the ketchup won't flow.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nsanelilmunky



Joined: 12 Nov 2012
Posts: 120

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it is most likely you don't understand the full meaning behind the construction of your sentences.

A personal attack

Quote:
Argumentum ad Hominem (abusive and circumstantial): the fallacy of attacking the character or circumstances of an individual who is advancing a statement or an argument instead of trying to disprove the truth of the statement or the soundness of the argument. Often the argument is characterized simply as a personal attack.


English Objective/Accusative Case

Quote:
A noun or pronoun is in the objective case when it is used as a direct object, an indirect object, or an object.

A noun which is directly affected by the action of a verb is put into the objective case. In English we call this noun the "direct object" which is a little more descriptive of its function. It's the direct object of some action.

Referring to the object in a sentence

Me
You
Him
Her
It
Us
Them
Whom


deride/mock

Quote:
de·ride ----transitive verb \di-ˈrīd, dē-\
de·rid·ed --- de·rid·ing
Definition of DERIDE
1: to laugh at contemptuously
2: to subject to usually bitter or contemptuous ridicule


Laughing at me or my circumstance (being a student) is a personal attack using mockery. Just because you chose the words to use doesn't mean you dictate who can or cannot feel insulted by said words. Much the same as when an acquaintance couldn't understand how her Puerto Rican friend was insulted by a joke about 'dirty Puerto Rican tacos' when the acquaintance and her friends found it funny.

If you didn't intend to insult you should have chosen different words and grammatical constructions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire


Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Posts: 2962
Location: Oh my God, It's full of stars!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did nothing of the sort. I laughed at your naivete and (to a lesser extent) your misunderstanding of the realities of university life. I mocked your derision of Fox News when you could have mocked all media for the ongoing onslaught against valid and useful information (as it stands, I have to devote a disproportionate amount of my time sifting through the rubble of news reports to find the few facts allowed toseap into "stories" reported by all sides to further their personal agendas and image of god/humanity).

Now, just for grins, I will treat you to two free lessons which you will ignore for now, but which will hopefully come back to you later. First: The fact that an idea or piece of information is new to you does not mean that it is new to anyone else; treat every epiphany as the intensely personal experience they are meant to be. Second: You are not always the smartest person in the room, but, by the same token, not everyone is as smart as you; you are well served to treat everyone as an equal and try to understand their motivations before you cast your own judgements on their character.
_________________
Casual Notice--commentary, comics and an appreciation for snappy hats.
S*P*Q*R
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nsanelilmunky



Joined: 12 Nov 2012
Posts: 120

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you know what I know is an insult to my intelligence. I've had four years of it and have many to come since I will be going for a doctorate or post-doc. This is added to the fact that I'm not one that went to college straight out of high school. Between having to live/work in the 'real world,' the army, and now going to college, I think I would know the basic distinction between opinion and fact and know the realities of life- university or otherwise.

You say you didn't attack me through mockery and then acknowledge mocking me? Which is it? Using Fox News as an example doesn't mean that I hold any others as faultless. It just means I really don't like Fox News.

As for your 'life lessons,' the first one is, again, an insult to my intelligence and the second is one that you should learn as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire


Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Posts: 2962
Location: Oh my God, It's full of stars!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I didn't mock you, I mocked your action. Not the same thing. And nothing I've said was in the same league as your fifty(ish)-word tirade against the stupidity and misapprehensions of those "without degrees," or your fixation on Marscaleb's errors after he had been corrected and admitted his mistake (that last sentence is a tu quoque argument, if you're still keeping score).

For the record, offense, like power, can never be given, it can only be taken (learned that in a colleg course while not getting a degree...no, wait, I have two of them).

In any case, I'm done talking about your hurt feelings. Continue ranting if you wish, but don't expect a reply.
_________________
Casual Notice--commentary, comics and an appreciation for snappy hats.
S*P*Q*R
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat


Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 2489
Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsanelilmunky wrote:
Assuming that you know what I know is an insult to my intelligence. I've had four years of it and have many to come since I will be going for a doctorate or post-doc.
Aren't you insulting him by assuming that he doesn't? This would be a pretty embarrassing statement to make if you found out that he's got a degree of his own. Moreso if it's a doctorate. Moreso if he has also spent time in the real world.

As a relative bystander, you're coming off to me about on par with Marscaleb's "Allow me to offer you some illumination" comment.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Hosted by Fluent
The Webcomics List is operated and owned by Ash Young. Syndicate the comic updates.