TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, I guess Photoshop CS2 is free now...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kail

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: So, I guess Photoshop CS2 is free now...? Reply with quote

Not sure about the full story behind this one, but you can download Adobe CS2 from their site now for gratis, as well as most of the rest of CS2.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Allegedly, they decided to remove the remote authentication for the software, and put up a download for previous owners to get the software... but with no more authentication server, there's nothing stopping anyone from just posting any random key and using it everywhere. So Adobe allegedly just said "screw it, whatever, it's free now" and put it up as a kind of teaser to get people to get the newer versions. Or something, I dunno.
iaviv

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Adobe forums: "Effective December 13, Adobe disabled the activation server for CS2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers. While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers."
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering Vista/7 never quite worked out the backwards compatibility issues and Windows 8 hates every program that doesn't drag you through the Microsoft "cloud", this s a lot like Lamborghini finding a bunch of old intake manifolds for a 1985 Countach lying around and saying, "You know what, if you still have that car, go ahead and take them...you're not our primary market, anyway."
Max Vaehling

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Considering Vista/7 never quite worked out the backwards compatibility issues and Windows 8 hates every program that doesn't drag you through the Microsoft "cloud", this s a lot like Lamborghini finding a bunch of old intake manifolds for a 1985 Countach lying around and saying, "You know what, if you still have that car, go ahead and take them...you're not our primary market, anyway."

Actually, as it turned out, it's more like "if you still have that car and you want to take them it's still not exactly legal but there's the shack and we didn't bother locking it since we're not selling any of those anyway." 'Cause they didn't offer them up for grabs and may still use your not having a license against you, although nobody really seems to think they will.

Webcomics - Blog - Twitter
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using GIMP. What does this older version of photoshop offer that GIMP can't do?
iaviv

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb wrote:
I've been using GIMP. What does this older version of photoshop offer that GIMP can't do?

If you're using it only to make comics, I'd imagine "not much."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMYK colors. Also, it's not just Photoshop, it's the whole Creative Suite, if you choose so.

Webcomics - Blog - Twitter
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb wrote:

Aside from everything being in one interface (so you don't have to select a window, select a tool, select another window, draw; etc.) there's also the improved responsiveness (if your system is anything like mine, Gimp is absolutely sluggish compared to Photoshop), the range of extra tools & add-ons you can get, and the improved CMYK palette.

Spencey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent somewhere in the region of a grand for CS2 about 7 years ago. I still use CS2 today. It does everything I need so never upgraded and have no plans to upgrade.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Photoshop Elements... So far it is perfect for my work on the comic (I do color and lettering work, and create the final image for publishing). Is it worth trying a full-fledged Photoshop?

Cheers from the Hippo
Justinfh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:

Are you saying that I can`t even use the creative suite cs2 because I have windows 7?
Justinfh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Inkscape and GIMP for my comic. http://DisgruntledComics.com I don't care what anybody says, I like this programs. Sure, I could do more with Photoshop CS2, but how much space would that take up on my laptop. Because my laptop is old and I have a few issues with it.

Last edited by Justinfh on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justinfh wrote:
Are you saying that I can`t even use the creative suite cs2 because I have windows 7?

I am not saying that. I am saying that there are issues with most older programs, especially memory intensive ones like art programs and modellers. Some will not run at all no matter how you work the "compatibility settings" (the campaign editor for NWN2 comes immediately to mind), but most of them have (I'm going to say something that will cause technicians to shudder, so be prepared for slight ground tremors if you're in a geek-intensive area) intemittent issues, especially with memory management.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: