TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Self Publisher SPACE giveaway & #62 is out!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traegorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Is Self Publisher! magazine a non-profit enterprise? If not, then why are you trying to gather donations via kickstarter "premiums" than actual investors based on a solid business plan?
You do understand that the entire point of Kickstarter is for people to find a way to raise money (often for-profit) other than traditional investors right?

In fact, I can't think of a single "non-profit" kickstarter project.
Traegorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...where's the attempt to guilt people?
Traegorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice - that doesn't read like a guilt trip to me. It sounds like an explanation.

You react to things weirdly.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with most kickstarters is that people donate because they want to see an end product, not get something from the people seeking money. People donated to the Windershins Kickstarter because they wanted to see an eventual book, same with the Dreden Kodak one that's currently going on. The ones like the steampunk show or feminist frequency's youtube videos was all about getting the money so that they could do the projects. Video production isn't cheap, especially if you want professional quality. Going the indie route just means that they don't have to deal with contracts that will try and take full or partial ownership of copyright. There's a good number of musicians on there for that same reason.
Traegorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, Casual Notice reacts to things weirdly.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main point was against your statement that the items associated with donation levels weren't worth it. I'm saying that they won't be because the people looking for money aren't looking to give away/sell their stuff. If they were they'd do so in their online shops. It's not meant to be an exact equivalent of the money you give, it's just a way for the asker to say thank you with items.

Take Pretty Things Peepshow. They did a kickstarter so that they could buy a new touring bus since the vehicle that they were using bit the dust. Sure they had 'prizes' like posters, nipple pasties, classes, or would do a show at a wedding, but the main reason that people donated was because they wanted PTP to keep touring.

I'm not saying this for the original posters sake since I don't really see the point of it, but for kickstarters in general.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: