TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

using Facebook to alert readers of updates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdonz2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: using Facebook to alert readers of updates Reply with quote

So, on the advice of iaviv, I've been using Facebook to alert readers when I update. If you like this page--

http://www.facebook.com/pearpearwebcomic

--you'll know whenever there's a new Pear-Pear comic or other announcement about the site.

If anyone has any feedback about the FB page's content, or stories about using FB in a similar manner, I'd love to hear about it. Has it paid off for you? Are you worried about FB's evil ways?

ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a Facebook page for my site and it did absolutely nothing for me so I took it down. I've always received far more hits and interest from forums, which don't rely on friends telling friends, etc. I find social networking mostly limiting unless you already have a large network of "friends" established. Stumbleupon is a great example. It didn't used to work on a social networking model and I once received loads of hits from it. I could also easily track who stumbled me and when. Then one day the traffic stopped and I went to explore. Stumbleupon had changed into a Facebook model where only friends of stumblers would see their stumbles. And I found, when I did receive a stumble, I could no longer follow the links back to the stumblers because I wasn't "friends" with them. I only knew that someone had "stumbled" me. I haven't been back to the site, but my hits from it have pretty much dried up completely.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I don't think Facebook will do much for you unless you're already established there in some way. I find it very oversold. But I also seem to be in the minority opinion on this one, so see what others have to say.
Traegorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why take it down? It still gives facebook users who want to show support for your comic a way to do so.

I link my facebook pages from my site proper, and use a facebook app (rss graffitti) to automatically update the pages with the latest comments.

When someone "likes" the page, they get occasional reminders then - getting them to come back to the site. It's all about retention, and if you do it right, it takes little to no effort.

That said, you have to remember that Facebook doesn't show every update to everyone who's a fan. Don't tell people to rely on the page. Smile
pdonz2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traegorn wrote:

That said, you have to remember that Facebook doesn't show every update to everyone who's a fan. Don't tell people to rely on the page. Smile

True, good point. I often forget that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: