TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hidden ads from inkoutbreak.com?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person who wrote the article had a surprisingly poor understanding of the terms of Ink Outbreak's listing service, ie that it is free and the ad rotation boxes are completely optional. They also seemed to have a confusing notion of how the Ink Outbreak iframe thingy works. But also, whoever runs Ink Outbreak would know that an ad service like Technorati would suspend their account if they were found trying to gain ad impressions for hidden ad displays; jumping to the conclusion that this was done maliciously was a bit extreme, and not particularly logical. It's nice that they found the bug, though, even if it got reported in a kind of roundabout way.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about the space, but disabling scrollbars is pretty standard I think, you don't want them showing up accidentally in some wacky browsing scenario and screwing up the look and spacing of the iframe area.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no I saw that. You could very well be right. The uneven application of line breaks struck me as something accidental, code generated, rather than deliberate--there'd be faster means of pushing something off than all those irregularly typed line break tags--but maybe it was written deliberately that way by a weird person, I dunno.

Re-reading the InkOutbreak person's reply, maybe they did do it that way quickly as a test just to see if they could get the ad tag working. And, as they say, accidentally left it in a version that went out. Or maybe they really thought they could get away with something, which would be even dumber. Anyway, yeah they screwed up, but I still think the article's author jumped to accusations of malicious intent rather quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interactions with Brian have at times been frustratingly slow (though he's not alone in that... *cough*TWC*cough*), but he never came off as malicious or shady. He experiments a lot with Ink and some of those experiments don't work out well, so I buy his explanation that this was another one of those, especially since it's an artifact of back when he was in a bit of panic over his bandwidth bills (he since got that sorted with a voluntary donation drive).

I'm no FBI profiler, but the history of InkOutbreak is that of an enthusiastic webcomics fan who is struggling to keep up with the dream he started, and his site is constantly singled out by webcomic artists as an example of how to do a listing right without impacting individual creators' traffic. He's constantly experimenting with his format and his code doesn't always work, but it's an ultimate irony that he would be branded as a scam artist.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are all pretty good questions, Tara. For whatever reason, these days I get traffic way more regularly from Comic Rocket, which is similar if maybe a bit easier to use, than I do from Ink Outbreak, which is also pretty sporadic for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the intent of Ink Outbreak, I am now pretty uncomfortable using it or any other vote/traffic site making me use iFrames. I can see something like this being a potential security issue for my site visitors, unless the site is 100% on the straight and narrow. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: