TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Beer! Need advice on business plan...
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Valgrim



Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone. I really was joking. I'm not into this for the money (If there was any to be had). If you knew me you'd understand that. If the internet didn't afford me the opportunity to showcase the comic I would be doing it anyway and not hoping to make a penny.

I'm more excited by the fact that people are reading it than anything. The fact that I can monetize it is icing on the cake. No I don't expect a dime. Yes I do take it seriously. My question is/was given the fact that it can be monetized is my plan a sound one? I was simply attempting to be jocular given the fact that I'm new to this board. Again, sorry if I came off harsh or greedy, or flippant. I do appreciate the replies.

-Tom
____________________
http://sm.dissentient.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SidneyConrad



Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote




But seriously, it's ok to want to make money from something you enjoy doing. Sure, statistically there are thousands of Webcomics being made and only the smallest percentage ever make any money, and an even smaller percentage are able to make a living from it, but as long as you enjoy what you're doing and keep trying to improve your art, there is no reason to think you won't eventually gain success. It just take a lot of hard work and dedication.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jeroen Willemse



Joined: 05 Jan 2013
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes, yes. I'm sorry if I came across super negative before. It's just that there are still a lot of people who only start a comic or anything online with the idea that they could start making money off of it, which has some influence on the product itself.

It's easy to say that your primary focus should just be on making a good thing, but at the end of the day we'd all love to make money by doing something we enjoy doing and that's entirely logical. Hell, I'm actually an aspiring writer, so most of my life is about creating something that people would be willing to pay for - but it's hard to make that happen all by yourself if you hardly have anything to show for it.
Either way, I don't think it's a crazy thought and it's alright to wonder if you'll be able to monetize your comic in the long run, but I would just say to think about it later rather than sooner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Valgrim



Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeroen Willemse wrote:

It's easy to say that your primary focus should just be on making a good thing, but at the end of the day we'd all love to make money by doing something we enjoy doing and that's entirely logical. Hell, I'm actually an aspiring writer, so most of my life is about creating something that people would be willing to pay for - but it's hard to make that happen all by yourself if you hardly have anything to show for it.
Either way, I don't think it's a crazy thought and it's alright to wonder if you'll be able to monetize your comic in the long run, but I would just say to think about it later rather than sooner.


It's no problem. Smile And point taken. It's an easy thing to dream about is all, making a living from something you love. That and after I tell people I'm writing a comic the next question is always "So how much money do you make from that?" or "How many have you sold?"

allentmatthews wrote:
But seriously, it's ok to want to make money from something you enjoy doing. Sure, statistically there are thousands of Webcomics being made and only the smallest percentage ever make any money, and an even smaller percentage are able to make a living from it, but as long as you enjoy what you're doing and keep trying to improve your art, there is no reason to think you won't eventually gain success. It just take a lot of hard work and dedication.


Right. My thinking is basically: It's free to list it for sale. My friends will want to buy it and I'M not subsidizing them and if someone else wants it great. If I'm putting it up for sale then I want to do it the right way. Once. And be done with it and move on with life. Cheers!

-Tom
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mcmasters



Joined: 28 Jun 2012
Posts: 436

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took "cheap bastards" to be slangy forum chat rather than your definitive opinion of mankind (not that it's wrong!).

If the comic is finished and you are releasing a page at a time, it seems it couldn't hurt to offer the finished product for sale. But let's face it, it would have to be really compelling for a customer to shell out when they can wait for the pages to unfold for free, which is the format we're all used to anyway with webcomics. On the other hand, if you don't release pages for free no one will ever buy it sight unseen unless you're established with a huge fan base that knows and trusts your stuff. I think I'm just repeating everyone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Valgrim



Joined: 18 Jan 2013
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the comic is finished and you are releasing a page at a time, it seems it couldn't hurt to offer the finished product for sale. But let's face it, it would have to be really compelling for a customer to shell out when they can wait for the pages to unfold for free, which is the format we're all used to anyway with webcomics. On the other hand, if you don't release pages for free no one will ever buy it sight unseen unless you're established with a huge fan base that knows and trusts your stuff. I think I'm just repeating everyone.


Exactly. It would be pretty ridiculous to make the comic sale only. I've then effectively spent a month slaving over something only three people and myself will ever see.

I'm considering upping the post rate to two pages a week. As it stands I have 6 months of pages backlogged and growing as I finish off the second issue. That seems like an absurd "cushion". At this rate people won't be able to read the second issue until next year. By that time the first arc will be long over and the second arc is considerably different. Almost like a different book. I dunno...

-Tom
____________________
http://sm.dissentient.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Hosted by Fluent
The Webcomics List is operated and owned by Ash Young. Syndicate the comic updates.