TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Steampunk Web Comic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MCHolly

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: New Steampunk Web Comic Reply with quote

Please check out my new Steampunk web comic BOSTON METAPHYSICAL SOCIETY at www.bostonmetaphysicalsociety.com

I realize I need to change the format of the website. Confused More things to learn first. Thanks.

Last edited by MCHolly on Fri May 18, 2012 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only see an error page. Sad
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an extra period on the end of your URL which is causing an error.

http://www.bostonmetaphysicalsociety.com/

Pages are a little on the small side! I had to zoom in 3 or 4 steps just to read 'em comfortably. It's your scaling that's at fault, I think... page image info says: 689px × 1,050px (scaled to 560px × 853px)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. www.bostonmetaphysicalsociety.com

As for the sizing, it had to do with the high res files I got from the colorist and I had to change it to 24 bit to jpeg for it to show up online. Crying or Very sad
AndToBeLoved

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cool! I'm in the middle of illustrating a steampunk comic that will be intended for print, so I'm always looking for inspiration and new steampunk comics.

Things I like:

-The artwork (lineart) is really good, especially for a webcomic. I'm not a big fan of digital coloring, but the coloring is also well done.

-I'm a huge Tesla fan, so it's nice to see that he was incorporated (you also incorporated Houdini, which is cool, but I'd say be careful not to accidentally retell something that already happened in The Prestige).

-The lettering is well thought out and properly placed. I like that the word balloons are in color. The one thing that is a TAD distracting is, because the balloons don't have a border/stroke around them, you can't always clearly see the tail. I'm mainly looking at the last panel of page 4. You can barely see the tail, BUT it is still clear enough as to who is talking. Right now, I don't think it's a huge issue, but it's something you and your letterer may want to keep in mind.

-The writing seems good, but I'll have to read more as it progresses to make a definitive opinion. Looks to be going in a good direction though.

So far so good! The one thing that I noticed, however, is that so far there aren't really any steampunk elements to it, beside the compound-bow. So far it just seems to be a turn of the century comic, which is also very cool, don't get me wrong. But right now it isn't really steampunk.

Final thoughts: looking forward to reading more!

Last edited by AndToBeLoved on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
MCHolly

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

@ATLB

The steampunk elements tend to be in the backgorund unless specifically needed for the story. I didn't want gadgets and tech to overwhelm it.

But thanks for the comments. New page up on Thursday.
MCHolly

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: New Steampunk Comic - New Page Up! Reply with quote

captmoosestash

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool comic so far, looking forward to reading more!
MCHolly

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: New Page Reply with quote

Thank you! One of my favorite pages is next week. Smile
MCHolly

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Short Stories Reply with quote

I've got the first short story up based on the BOSOTN METAPHYSICAL universe. On sale for a whopping $.99 on Kindle and Nook.
http://www.bostonmetaphysicalsociety.com/id2.html

Thanks.
MCHolly

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: New Page Up Today! Reply with quote

New Page up on BOSTON METAPHYSICAL SOCIETY! Steampunk/paranormal web comic This is one of my favorite pages that Emi did.
http://www.bostonmetaphysicalsociety.com/id9.html
AndToBeLoved

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

MCHolly wrote:
@ATLB

The steampunk elements tend to be in the backgorund unless specifically needed for the story. I didn't want gadgets and tech to overwhelm it.

Gadgets and tech don't have to overwhelm it. But honestly, unless I'm missing something, the story, although a good one thus far, is teetering on the edge of not being steampunk. The steampunk elements should be part of the story, not just thrown in the background for the sake of being able to call it steampunk. Know what I mean? But again, that shouldn't suggest that it's a bad comic. It's just…not really a steampunk comic so far. Maybe we can look forward to more technology in the future though!

MCHolly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Steampunk Web Comic Reply with quote

@ATLB

I agree that the story is not based in steampunk per se, but the world they live in does explore the various ways tech can be used that actually didn't exist back then or there were hints of it.

However, you will see more steampunk tech later and especially in the 2nd issue and beyond. My purpose here was to introduce the characters and their world.

Thank you for your comments. Emi is starting the art on the 2nd issue this week and we are addressing many of the things you are talking about.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pages look nice but they seem a little small; the text in particular isn't always easy to make out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Boston Metaphysical - New Page Up!! Reply with quote

New Page up at BOSTON METAPHYSICAL! Tesla can be a such a jerk
http://www.bostonmetaphysicalsociety.com/id10.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: