TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

are RSS feeds worthwhile?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Murphy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I view all my comics through RSS feeds. Chances are if a comic didn't have a feed to subscribe to, (and I don't know one that doesn't) I wouldn't go back to it.
iaviv

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Murphy wrote:
I view all my comics through RSS feeds. Chances are if a comic didn't have a feed to subscribe to, (and I don't know one that doesn't) I wouldn't go back to it.

I know some that don't and it's such a hassle to keep track of them or even remember they exist. RSS is way more convenient than bookmarks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*comes in the door panting*

Okay, I've finally done it. It nearly gave me an ulcer. For some reason my tiny monkey brain was having the hardest time grasping this very simple process, but I've managed to create an RSS feed!

http://www.rsspect.com/rss/afterthedream.xml

So for the love of all that's holy, please subscribe and make all my new gray hairs worthwhile!

Also, there's this... the RSS page I linked to above seems to work fine for me when I'm using Firefox, but when I go to the exact same URL using Chrome all I see is an ugly mess of HTML. Is anyone else getting that, and if so, do you know how I can fix it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afterthedream wrote:
Also, there's this... the RSS page I linked to above seems to work fine for me when I'm using Firefox, but when I go to the exact same URL using Chrome all I see is an ugly mess of HTML. Is anyone else getting that, and if so, do you know how I can fix it?

Common thing. If you'll change it into Feedburner you won't have that problem. It just means you lack the plug-in for Chrome (like most people, which is why this is incredibly common). What Feedburner (google it) does is it lets you choose which RSS reader you want to use for the particular RSS feed you're trying to subscribe to. Feedburner is probably not the only one that does this, but it works great.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afterthedream wrote:
Okay, I've finally done it. It nearly gave me an ulcer. For some reason my tiny monkey brain was having the hardest time grasping this very simple process, but I've managed to create an RSS feed!

http://www.rsspect.com/rss/afterthedream.xml

If you want to get a little fancier, you might think about giving each entry in the feed a link to each comic page's permanent URL, so if someone wants to jump to that point in the story on your site, they can do that.

Also, on your site, if you put something like this in the HTML header

Code:
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" href="[your rss feed address starting with http]" title="[your rss feed title]">

then browsers that are set to detect the presence of an RSS feed for a site will be able to notify the viewer automatically that the site has a feed.

iaviv wrote:
It just means you lack the plug-in for Chrome (like most people, which is why this is incredibly common).

Ohh, I didn't even consider that there might be an RSS extension available for Chrome. *goes and gets it*

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I really appreciate the tips, guys. The HTML I have in place right now is extremely bare bones, but hopefully I can improve it as time goes on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know why images wouldn't be showing up in Google feedburner? I just got the RSS going and I'm not having luck with google. Should I just keep it to rsspect? That one seemed to work fine.

I only hate the internet when I have to deal with it...
iaviv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnK wrote:
Does anybody know why images wouldn't be showing up in Google feedburner? I just got the RSS going and I'm not having luck with google. Should I just keep it to rsspect? That one seemed to work fine.

Uhhh I'm getting that too. It some weeks back, when when I updated WordPress or ComicPress or something... No idea what to do and don't feel like breaking something. I would also like to know how to change that. Anyone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: