TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Webcomic Pete

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmasters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Webcomic Pete Reply with quote

This is my dip in the water: "Webcomic Pete."

About a not-too-smart guy attempting to create a webcomic (something I know about).

www.mcmasterscomics.com
afterthedream

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first suggestion is to have more than five pages before you announce your webcomic to the world. Bit of a moot point now, though.

My second suggestion is to shape your speech bubbles differently. It's generally more pleasing to the eye for them to be as round and circular as possible, rather than stretched out and oblong.

My third suggestion is really more of a hope for the future... a family man who quits his job to pursue a non-paying hobby is having some sort of severe mental/emotional breakdown. It would be interesting to see this play out as opposed to us just seeing him act sort of goofy and dumb.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!
Valgrim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Very funny. It's hard to imagine what Pete might do now but I guess that's YOUR job. Keep it up.

Oh and the site looks a lot tighter. Not sure about the loud green background though. I would go with a simple white BG so that your header image blends in. To make it work you'll have to fade out some of the edges of the BG so it's not obvious where the header stops and the BG starts. You'd also probably want to put some type of border around the comics to make them stand out. Or not. They too could bleed into the BG.

I'd also lose that right side menu. It's repetitive, you already have those links up top, and it looks awkward. Also there's no reason for the second calender at the bottom. Use the space for something else like a subscribe box or just leave it blank. Same with the "Latest Comics" links at the bottom. Anyhow good job so far.

-Tom
mcmasters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valgrim wrote:
I like it. Very funny. It's hard to imagine what Pete might do now but I guess that's YOUR job. Keep it up.

Oh and the site looks a lot tighter. Not sure about the loud green background though. I would go with a simple white BG so that your header image blends in. To make it work you'll have to fade out some of the edges of the BG so it's not obvious where the header stops and the BG starts. You'd also probably want to put some type of border around the comics to make them stand out. Or not. They too could bleed into the BG.

I'd also lose that right side menu. It's repetitive, you already have those links up top, and it looks awkward. Also there's no reason for the second calender at the bottom. Use the space for something else like a subscribe box or just leave it blank. Same with the "Latest Comics" links at the bottom. Anyhow good job so far.

-Tom

I TRULY appreciate the feedback. You can't imagine what a webcomic virgin I am. I have been playing around with backgrounds and just threw that up today, will change. The right side menu I'll have to think about, I have some things I want to put in that I just haven't yet...the question is is the comic large enough, can it be clearly seen, speech bubbles clearly read, etc. Second calendar good point, I'll get rid of. I have a "latest comic" link? I'll get on that!
When I arrange the whole links thing I'll hook you up!
SidneyConrad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job so far and very funny. I agree with Valgrim that things like having two calendars and multiple links to the same thing are a little redundant. The only advice I can give with your comic is that you might want to consider having a gutter between panels instead of doing just thick lines. A potential problem that can happen is that without gutters, multiple panels can start to fuse together and seem like one big one. Right now, the thick lines are ok, but as your art develops and you start to add more into each panels, those lines will start to fade and panels will start to run together, making things visually a little confusing. The separation created by gutters keeps this from happening, and it also helps make your comic feel more like a comic if you get what I'm saying.

Otherwise, I really like what I see so far. I really enjoy your humor and I like your art (don't worry about keeping hair consistent). I can't wait to see how your comic grows and develops.

mcmasters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I thought I had gotten rid of the second calendar before you and Valgrim mentioned it because I didn't want two, I looked this morning and sure enough my only calendar widget is for the right sidebar. But I figured it out: I have it in "graphic comic" layout (with right sidebar). Apparently calendar is automatic. So I killed the one on the right.

I took out the useless links on the right. Regarding gutters...I'm not entirely understanding you. Don't the black lines serve as gutters? And if I add more to each panel there will still be that thick black line to split panels. Unless it just looks ugly, which is a possibility. I'll experiment with it. Right now I have about ten already done in the same way.
SidneyConrad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this quick image to explain what I mean.

Now, technically you can have thick black lines that serve as gutters like example 2 but it does help to have your gutters be like the ones in example 1. That white space helps separate the panels and keeps them from meshing together. Try it out with the next comic you draw, and if you don't like it you can always go back. Your current lines aren't ugly but any means, it's just something to consider as your drawing your comics.

mcmasters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I just did one that I'll scan in and post tomorrow, it didn't take too much extra time, which is my worry. I can't tell if it's an improvement or not, it's kind of like putting a ribbon and bow on a pile of dog shit because the line drawing is crude and primitive. I would definitely use the gutters if I were producing a professional product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: