TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendations for an accurate/responsive drawing stylus?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luvz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Recommendations for an accurate/responsive drawing stylus? Reply with quote

I am planning on starting a webcomic soon. I have an iPad and am wondering what are generally considered to be the best styli for drawing webcomics.

Thanks in advance.
Eve Z.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a 'best' style to draw in. I'd say go with your own style and it will work as long as you draw it well.

Also: go with a style that would match the story line. Or are you doing a gag-a-day?(if so, go with something that is simpler, cartoony and less serious)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He means the actual tool. And I have no idea, I'm still in the dark ages of pencil and pad.
Luvz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eve Z. wrote:
There is no such thing as a 'best' style to draw in. I'd say go with your own style and it will work as long as you draw it well.

Also: go with a style that would match the story line. Or are you doing a gag-a-day?(if so, go with something that is simpler, cartoony and less serious)

A stylus as in:

https://www.google.com/search?q=stylus&aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D5&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=VffkUJLjHaO1iwLt1ICQCg&biw=1866&bih=1017&sei=V_fkULOXC8PfiAKm4IGICw

It's a very important tool and the reviews are usually mixed so I'd like to hear some first-hand experiences if possible. Smile
Traegorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a decent Targus one on my iPad (with Adobe Ideas). I've been happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Generation-Motorola-BlackBerry-AMM0101US/dp/B004JU1MN6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1357186266&sr=8-4&keywords=Targus+stylus+ipad

It's what I use to draw both of my comics with. ( http://www.crosarth.com and http://unconventional.trhonline.com )

Last edited by Traegorn on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used an iPad stylus, so I can't recommend anything. I would recommend you go try a few out, if you can. See what works for you if you can demo a stylus.

Art skill is more important than technology. Beware of the idea that the tools make the artist. If you can't draw now, a fancy piece of equipment won't make you Michelangelo. On the other hand, unless you get a really crappy stylus, I can't imagine it's going to ruin your art, either.

I hate to see people waste good money on unnecessary equipment.

If you don't have a stylus now, it suggests to me that you probably haven't spent a lot of time practicing art, leastways not on your iPad. Practice seems, to me, to be a lot more important than gadgetry. Most styli will probably do as much as you need them to, until you get a year or two of solid art practice under your belt. It's a great personal investment to practice drawing, and you can find a lot of great places to critique your art skill (this forum is one of them). Leave the fancy-schmancy technology choices for when you know what you want, and get drawing already.

I hate to sound crotchety, but a lot of people get on the idea that buying tools is more important than practicing skill. This idea ought to be stamped out. I've got a tablet, which I dearly love, but then I've leveled up my drawing skill to the point where it makes something of a difference. I can get my work into the computer faster and cleaner, but it doesn't necessarily make my work better.

[/crochety]

PS -
If you've got a particular art software, you might hang out on that software's forum and see what styli those artists use on their iPads. Or try out an iPad forum and see what you can get there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, my bad. I thought you meant 'style'. Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traegorn wrote:
I use a decent Targus one on my iPad (with Adobe Ideas). I've been happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Generation-Motorola-BlackBerry-AMM0101US/dp/B004JU1MN6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1357186266&sr=8-4&keywords=Targus+stylus+ipad

It's what I use to draw both of my comics with. ( http://www.crosarth.com and http://unconventional.trhonline.com )

Looks good. Solid reviews. Did you buy yours from that link though? Some of the one star reviews say they didn't get a real Targus, but rather a cheap Hong Kong imitation. I don't know if those are flukes though since most of the reviews are quite positive.

Do you like the wide circular tip?
Luvz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
I've never used an iPad stylus, so I can't recommend anything. I would recommend you go try a few out, if you can. See what works for you if you can demo a stylus.

Art skill is more important than technology. Beware of the idea that the tools make the artist. If you can't draw now, a fancy piece of equipment won't make you Michelangelo. On the other hand, unless you get a really crappy stylus, I can't imagine it's going to ruin your art, either.

I hate to see people waste good money on unnecessary equipment.

If you don't have a stylus now, it suggests to me that you probably haven't spent a lot of time practicing art, leastways not on your iPad. Practice seems, to me, to be a lot more important than gadgetry. Most styli will probably do as much as you need them to, until you get a year or two of solid art practice under your belt. It's a great personal investment to practice drawing, and you can find a lot of great places to critique your art skill (this forum is one of them). Leave the fancy-schmancy technology choices for when you know what you want, and get drawing already.

I hate to sound crotchety, but a lot of people get on the idea that buying tools is more important than practicing skill. This idea ought to be stamped out. I've got a tablet, which I dearly love, but then I've leveled up my drawing skill to the point where it makes something of a difference. I can get my work into the computer faster and cleaner, but it doesn't necessarily make my work better.

[/crochety]

PS -
If you've got a particular art software, you might hang out on that software's forum and see what styli those artists use on their iPads. Or try out an iPad forum and see what you can get there.

I've been an artist all my life, but don't have much experience with drawing on tablets so I'm interested in what others have had success with.

I don't necessarily need something tailor-made for an iPad. I just happen to have an iPad.
Traegorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luvz wrote:
Traegorn wrote:

Looks good. Solid reviews. Did you buy yours from that link though? Some of the one star reviews say they didn't get a real Targus, but rather a cheap Hong Kong imitation. I don't know if those are flukes though since most of the reviews are quite positive.

That's Amazon's general page - there are multiple sellers listedon it. I bought it through that particular link, and have the genuine article. Just make sure Amazon is the one doing fullfillment (which means it come out of an Amazon warehouse regardless of the seller)

The circular rubber tip works well - the tip isn't actually all that big -- just the diameter of a pen really.

I seriously recommend using it with Adobe Ideas, as it does some decent error correcting on lines.

What I do is draw the initial art on my iPad, then export it and open it on my mac to add speech bubbles, do layouts, etc.
Luvz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traegorn wrote:
Luvz wrote:
Traegorn wrote:

That's Amazon's general page - there are multiple sellers listedon it. I bought it through that particular link, and have the genuine article. Just make sure Amazon is the one doing fullfillment (which means it come out of an Amazon warehouse regardless of the seller)

The circular rubber tip works well - the tip isn't actually all that big -- just the diameter of a pen really.

I seriously recommend using it with Adobe Ideas, as it does some decent error correcting on lines.

What I do is draw the initial art on my iPad, then export it and open it on my mac to add speech bubbles, do layouts, etc.

Thanks. Sounds good. I'll try it.
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I went to my local Staples, they had a selection of styluses out on display with a tablet (which had a basic art app loaded on it) on which customers were able to try them out. Perhaps you have a store near you which has a similar display?

Although I initially bought a fancier stylus, I ended up returning it because it didn't work as well as their demo, and I chose instead one very similar to the stylus linked to above. (Full disclosure: I don't actually draw much on my iPad. My webcomic is all drawn on paper.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Jot Pro by Adonit, though having said that, I hate trying to draw anything useful on my ipad.
afterthedream

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Wacom Bamboo with a 4.5" x 6" drawing surface. It is fine for coloring work, which is what I bought it for, but I wouldn't recommend it for actual line drawing. Because the drawing surface is so small, curved lines tend to come out rather jagged. If money is no object, I recommend getting a stylus pad with the largest drawing surface possible. A former housemate was a professional artist who also used a (much larger and more expensive) Wacom and he seemed to like it quite a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afterthedream wrote:
I have a Wacom Bamboo with a 4.5" x 6" drawing surface. It is fine for coloring work, which is what I bought it for, but I wouldn't recommend it for actual line drawing. Because the drawing surface is so small, curved lines tend to come out rather jagged. If money is no object, I recommend getting a stylus pad with the largest drawing surface possible. A former housemate was a professional artist who also used a (much larger and more expensive) Wacom and he seemed to like it quite a bit.

I got one like that too, but I have no problems with its size. IT all depends on how big of a stroke you are drawing, I guess, but I never draw a line that's longer than four inches, I suspect not even ones longer than three.

I THOUGHT I was having problems with lines coming out super-jagged if I was zoomed out too far on the image, but it turns out this was just software. Sometimes GIMP won't use the tablet properly; it reacts as if it were the mouse. When this happens I don't get pressure sensitivity and the lines have tremendous stepping. But when the tablet is working properly it smooths the lines out and I don't have stepping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: