TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comic Book Series Looking For Colorist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danger_slater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Comic Book Series Looking For Colorist Reply with quote

Hey, my name is Danger_Slater and Iím a comic book writer.

I am currently looking for a colorist to join the art team I am helping to assemble for an on-going comic book series.

The job is for a colorist only. The series itself was created a few months back through a collaboration between myself and the artist. It is a coming-of-age zombie tale (intended for a grown-up audience) with a focus on the gut-splattering action with a dash of humor.

Where we are on this now? The first issue has been drawn and inked. The first six issues are written in full. The rest of the series (30 issues total) is outlined. We are close to being ready for submission. All we need is the color.

If youíre interested in knowing more, got any questions or want to join our team, feel free to send me an email at:

danger_slater@yahoo.com

Thanks. I look forward to seeing what you guys out there in internetland have to offer.

~ Danger

www.dangerslater.blogspot.com
iaviv

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to be paying the colorist per page, or is this one of those "when we make money you'll get a share" sort of things?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be back-end pay. I'm sure there's a standard rate based off whatever market ends up publishing the work. But what I'm looking for is a team member for the duration of the project, which as I said above, would be 30 issues.

As for right now, we only needed a few pages colored to use for submission. And to have a colorist on board to let the publisher know we have a complete team ready to work.
AndToBeLoved

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal feelings for taking on projects that rely strictly on back end pay is - don't do them. Yes, we all need to be willing to take chances from time to time, but why should a colorist take a chance on a project, rather than the "employer" taking a chance on the colorist by paying at least modest rates? Know what I mean? Coloring, if doing quality work, can take all day for a single page. Most colorists are in fact faster than that, but a good rule of thumb is to assume that it will take all day for one highly detailed page.

I don't mean to sound harsh, it's just that I have done projects in the past that relied solely back end pay or "if the project gets picked up" sorta things and they always failed and they never helped my career beyond additions to my portfolio. This was usually because the employer did not push the project as heavily as they should have, or didn't submit properly, or whatever. Maybe you are the exception (I know exceptional creators are out there), and maybe you'll actually push it enough to get it off the ground.

What I would suggest is trying to get together enough cash to at LEAST pay for the submission pages that you intend to send to potential publishers. Even if it's only like, $10 a page. That's still incredibly low, but at least the colorist will get SOMETHING for their time. After the project is (hopefully) picked up by a publisher, THEN the colorist can work for back end pay. At this point, there will at least be the guarantee that the project will get printed and distributed and all team-members can work together to promote it.

Or you can try doing a Kickstarter campaign to fund the colorist. I've done that before and it worked well.

Anyways, good luck.

Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not being harsh, ATBL. The Colorist is ALWAYS a work-for-hire, if only for the simple fact that no court in the world would support any claim to ownership (partial or otherwise).

Offering "membership on the team" and back-end pay doesn't really cut it.
AndToBeLoved

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
You're not being harsh, ATBL. The Colorist is ALWAYS a work-for-hire, if only for the simple fact that no court in the world would support any claim to ownership (partial or otherwise).

Offering "membership on the team" and back-end pay doesn't really cut it.

Yeah, back end pay for colorists is a lot of hassle. It's a lot of hassle even for illustrators, but for colorists...ahh.... It's much better to just grant payment as work for hire, not to mention easier in the long run.

My biggest issue is that SO MANY people think they are offering some wonderful opportunity to illustrators/colorists/letterers by presenting them with a back end pay agreement for a project that may never even get published. It's arrogant and it shows a lack of respect to illustrators everywhere. I don't really get this feel from this particular OP, but many other creators looking for help do come of this way.

[/quote]
danger_slater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's arrogant, dude. I mean, I'm doing work over here too, working on scripts and outlines and for no money at all, trying to make this thing happen for myself and the people I work with.

The artist I'm working with I met through a forum such as this and we're working together (for no pay) to make this book happen.

Of course I have to offer back end pay. I HAVE NO MONEY. What would be a good rate to offer, if that were what I was able to do? I am a struggling writer here. I work part time. For Shop Rite. I seriously have trouble paying for gas for my car, let alone paying random from the internet to work on something I'm slaving over for nothing.

And let's say the comic gets picked up by Image or something. Does the colorists pay rate change then? What if I end up writing the next Walking Dead? Isn't a colorist getting pittance from me going to DEMAND more money?
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think you have more of an advantage than the average person who posts here looking for collaborators, in that your first issue is already complete. So what you need to do is show around your pages (just the first five or so will do, and they can be low-res if you're feeling paranoid about somebody stealing your idea or whatever) and try to find someone who likes what you're doing enough to want to be a part of it as your colourist.

It's still not an easy sell, but the better your art/story is, the better chance you have of attracting someone to your on-spec team.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@danger_slater: No offense, but your sob story is no different than most people's. The fact that you can't afford to pay a colorist doesn't change the fact that you SHOULD pay a colorist. I'm working on tons of projects as well, and I'd love to hire someone to help out with various things, but since I can't afford to do so I'm not trying to convince people to work for me. I don't think you understood my point about the risks involved for a colorist, versus the risks involved for you. Most writers seeking free help do not usually understand.

Yeah, ok, let's say you write the next Walking Dead (you and the 100,000 other writers out there who have the same dream in their head). Great! You and everyone involved will make it big and get higher royalties. But do you have any idea how extremely rare it is for a comic to be as successful as TWD? It's a fraction of a percent of printed comics. That's not even talking about submitted comic idea. What happens if your comic does not even get the greenlight from a small press publisher? What if you self publish and don't sell any copies? The colorist will get nothing. And yes, to assume that your working on the next big book is arrogant. It's good to have high hopes for yourself, but you need to be prepared for rejection, even if the book truly is great. There's more to it than just producing a quality comic.

A good starting rate to offer would be at least $50 a page. Colorist rates can actually go much higher than that, but it gives you an idea (if you did not already know this, then you should not be trying to get into this business). Obviously you can't pay this amount, and you don't HAVE to. Which is why I suggested a much lower rate in my previous post. But at the very least it'll be something for the colorist. Something. Any financial deals made after the submission process would have to be arranged with the publisher and everyone involved. I'm going through this very situation now, myself. I did submission illustrations for X amount of money, and if the book gets picked up, my writer and I will sit down with the publisher and figure out what is most advantageous for us all. When doing a work for hire arrangement, if the book ends up doing really well and the colorist/illustrators involved feel that they are getting the short end of the stick, they have every right to ask for more money as long as it does not break the current agreement. Maybe something will be worked out, and maybe not. This is how Image Comics got started - a bunch of irritated illustrators left Marvel when they realized they were not getting the credit and money they deserved.

Hopefully this gives you a better understanding where I, as a freelancer, am coming from.

danger_slater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is my first attempt at professional comic writing (I am a published author of short stories and novels) I was thinking MAYBE by posting a message on this FREE INTERNET FORUM I can attract someone out there who is talented, like myself and my partner/artist, and may not have had the chance (in this field) to prove it to anyone yet, like myself and my partner/artist. I would LOVE to pay some really talented person $50 bucks a page. Heck, if they play even a small part in getting this thing out there for the world to see, I'd gladly pay A LOT MORE than that. But, today, right now, in the position I'm in - and the position I suspect some people reading this right now - are in, it's just not feasible. I just figured maybe some others out there might have the same mindset.

ATBL, do you really think I'm coming across as arrogant? Because I'm not trying to be. Just looking for some good people who want to share the dream.
AndToBeLoved

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danger_slater wrote:
...I was thinking MAYBE by posting a message on this FREE INTERNET FORUM I can attract someone out there who is talented, like myself....

Nobody tries to be arrogant, but statements like that one are unarguably that. Maybe you are talented, but there's also nothing wrong with being humble. A lot of aspiring writers have a over-inflated sense of themselves and their work. I don't doubt that if you had more funding you would actually pay a colorist to work for you rather than looking for someone to do it for free. But the fact remains that everyone, in any and every field, deserves to be paid for their work when hired by someone else. You are making a choice to write your own comic and that is all on you. If you don't make money doing that, then that's just the way it goes. That's your choice and your risk. Just don't expect colorists to have to do the same. People in this field get taken advantage of a lot and I'm just trying to inform you and others about how it is. I'm quite sure you're not intentionally trying to take advantage of someone. I'm not saying that at all. But this situation is like if you were to go to a restaurant, order a cheeseburger, and when you're done eating, if the cheeseburger doesn't fill you up you don't have to pay. This situation would never fly in most other fields and I'm just getting tired of people thinking it's ok in this field.

I do wish you luck and I just want you to absorb what I've said. You'll probably disagree with me, but just think about what I've talked about.

mcmasters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any harm in asking. Everyone starts somewhere, and this board probably has a handful of people like me that are complete beginners whether at writing, drawing, inking, coloring, or website creation. The odds are small DSlater is going to find a colorist under his terms but there could be a beginner who has only created a few things on her own and wants to get feet wet working with others.

When I saw the OP a few days ago I was wondering why DS wasn't linking to a few pages of the actual thing. Like Ttallan said, someone's going to be more confident in what you've got if they can see it. If you've got it lettered already and think the writing might get stolen, blot it out.
iaviv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, show us something. One page is enough, lettering isn't necessary. Whatever size you want, as long as the art's visible. If you need permission from the artist, get it. It's in their benefit as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum