TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Daily Sheep

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mollysheep

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: The Daily Sheep Reply with quote

Hey, I just started a very simple pen and paper comic and I was wondering what people thought of it. It started as a series of doodles that I decided to turn into a webcomic. I kind of like how simple it is, but I wanted to know what other people thought about it.

http://picturesofsheep.tumblr.com
AndToBeLoved

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, I like the one in the shower. Pretty clever.

ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

Baaaaaah.
mollysheep

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! Do you guys think that its ok that the art isn't that fancy? I've never felt very gifted at drawing, but my friends seem to like it, and it's kind of just a vehicle for my sense of humor. I was wondering if I should try to make it look more professional, like putting in fonts instead of my own handwriting, or if the doodle-esque nature of it had a certain charm I shouldn't take a way. What do you guys think?
AndToBeLoved

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say keep doing the font by hand. The illustrations are so freely drawn that if you do digital lettering it won't match as well as hand lettering.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndToBeLoved wrote:
I'd say keep doing the font by hand. The illustrations are so freely drawn that if you do digital lettering it won't match as well as hand lettering.

Agreed. The simplicity of the drawing (i mean that nicely) matches the simplicity of the hand written text.
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep doing what you're doing. It will evolve as you keep drawing and thinking. And if it doesn't, well then draw something else. As long as it's fun nothing else should really matter.

If you want, you could experiment with incorporating fancier drawings as an experiment, when it fits the situation or the joke, but you don't need to.

If you do feel insecure about your drawings, just look at early work of a lot of famous cartoonists, or just look at XKCD, which is wildly popular and by no means great art - though it does work well. Early Doonesbury and Jules Feiffer were also very rough. Everything starts somewhere. Don't worry about it.
mollysheep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
mollysheep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, It's been going for a few months now. So many more sheep. New opinions please?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: