TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Black Mudpuppy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekocak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: The Black Mudpuppy Reply with quote

Hello everyone. Just wanted to share my new strip, and (seriously) get some feedback. I can take it. Thank you.

http://www.blackmudpuppy.com

Synopisis:

The comic tells the story of a would be Aztec god, known as Xolotl. Xolotl is the God of Fire and the Underworld in Aztec mythology. Hes kind of a jerk in this story though, so hes banished into the body of a neotonic salamander for 491 years, at which point he is semi-freed under the condition that he has to do good deeds for mortals in order to earn back his full powers.
ekocak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[cough]....anyone? Smile
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a sucker for pre-Columbian stuff, so I am glad to see a humor comic on the topic. I am not so much a fan of superhero anything, but this series is just starting, so I will give it the benefit of a doubt.

Backgrounds with stuff on them would be nice. The pet store really needed a window, more pets, posters... something. Lighten or brighten up the color scheme a bit -- it will enhance the hilarity and make the comic more eye catching.

I will not lie: when I read the title of this comic, I was really reluctant to read it. It was totally different than what I expected. I know rebranding sucks, but it might help.
ekocak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the critique. I totally agree about the backgrounds, it's something I'm often struggling with. As for the name, I can see your point, but I'm kinda in love with it. I've thought about that too though. I'm aiming for uniqueness and memorability.
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally hear you on that, but falling in love with a brand that's potentially confusing for your viewers can be the death of a webcomic. For example:

I had a comic entitled "Slave-Butt for Satan" with the amazing domain name of http://slavebutt.com (which is still in use) and really marketed the sexy aspects of the webcomic. I thought it was on topic, clever, memorable and edgy -- unfortunately, people assumed it was a femdom site and as a result it had a bounce rate from hell, since the comic isn't about that. To this day, "femdom" remains somewhat inexplicably the most used to reach the site via Google search, even with the rebranding. That's why, this section exists: http://barxotka.com/tag/sexy-beatings/

When I let go of the emotional stuff, I decided to rename the comic something semi-incomprehensible but memorable, that kind of caught the spirit of why I originally used "Slave Butt for Satan." I chose the incomprehensible title because my webcomic was very different from anything out there and I didn't want preconceived notions about what it was. When I changed the domain to http://barxotka.com/ and the title to "Rasputin Barxotka," and took out all the x-rated content I originally had. I finally started getting an audience and advertisers. Changing a brand can help you connect with your audience more readily without changing your actual content.

You don't have to change your brand if you love it dearly, but if you feel you can better connect with your audience by doing so, it might help.
ekocak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. Also, I would totallyve read butt slave for Satan.
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it. Very Happy

Man, you're cool as all hell. I'm adding your webcomic to my RSS feed reader just on principle -- that and humor about pre-Colombian Gods. I totally respect that.
ekocak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man, and thank you for your insight. I appreciate it.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your site layout is scaling your huge uploaded images down to a more typical screen size (Firefox says of a recent page: "2,792px 4,076px (scaled to 560px 818px))," but this is forcing your readers to download nearly 2 MB per comic page, which is about ten times more than is necessary, and also causes the image to come out either blurry or pixelated due to the browser's on-the-fly rescaling of the image. Such massive images may also cause performance problems for computers or devices with small amounts of RAM or slower processors.

You should really use Photoshop or some other image editing software -- IRFanView is a good free one that could do it, for instance: http://www.irfanview.com/ -- to copy your high resolution artwork, then scale it down to the final screen size yourself, before you upload it to your site.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I should make them 500 x 800 first?
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Internet connection is fast, so I didn't really notice, but smbhax.com is absolutely right. Reduce your images to the final size first.

I use http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm for both image optimization and bulk resizing. It works super slick.
ekocak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: The Black Mudpuppy Reply with quote

Hey, so it's been several months and I've been working at improving my craft, and been (fairly) consistent with posting 3 times a week. Whaddya think now?

http://www.blackmudpuppy.com
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking comic, wacky characters, like. Post some art here to lure leaders to your site!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The art is really great. Currently following you on facebook.

The joke on the current strip is pretty weak though. (confusing charon for karen.)

I'd throw up some project wonderful or google adsense ads for people to click on and support you too! At the very least you'd make $100 a year to pay for the hosting costs.
ekocak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! I can post some sketches and stuff if you want. Is this the right place or is there a different sub forum?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: