TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh look, another webcomic redistribution site!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the comic is Crateive Commons licensed it isn't a theft

Creative Commons FAQ page wrote:
All CC licenses require users to attribute the original creator(s) of a work

Since you don't have any author attribution at all on your main page, you're in violation. Also, Creative Commons isn;t a single license; it's a collection of license boilerplates drawn up to assist independent creators in licensing work. Some CCLs are free to use and enjoy (although hotlinking their site is still bandwidth theft), but most have various limits, wither the work can't be altered or it can't be used commercially.

Housepets Web Site wrote:
Please do not link to the images on this server. That ought to be common courtesy. Host the image on your own server.(This was on the link button page, I have faith it also applies to his main page.)

vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he's hotlinking. Everywhere I saw in the code, it looks like he's got it on his own server, when I checked.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said before. Comic Rocket offers the full view of a comic's site, and they get out of the way while doing it. Yes, page loads are a bit slow, but in return they offer a means to get back to a comic wherever you left off. I use it for reading up on long-form comics. Somebody submitted my comic, too, and I couldn't be more okay with it even though nobody asked me. Why? 'Cause they did right by me.

I assume you, dragony, also want to do right by the creators, although you seem to have a very flexible definition of "right". Offering a site view as default is a bit of an improvement, and so is showing up here. But the site view you offer looks like crap because it's crammed into a smallisch frame, so paople will naturally choose the page view. That's a foul deal.

As a reader, I can see the merit of presenting the comics the way you do. Let site design get out of the way and all. But this only works with the creators' full permission. And by "permission", I don't mean a CC license somewhere.

Because you want the creators on your side.

Here's how you make it right:
    - I think most comics creators will be okay with you presenting the site view if it's the only view. You may not even have to ask, but it's friendlier to do so.
    - If they ask you to take their comic down, do so. You may think that's a silly decision of theirs, but hey, it's their decision to make.
    - Notify the creators of the inclusion and ask for permission to "liberate" (communist, eh?) the page view.
    - Write some code that, dunno, caches the comics pages to your server the first time they're loaded and takes them from there very time anybody else wants to view them. It makes the site faster and eases up on the creators' bendwidths. Thing is, as long as you're buringing their bandwidth, they're paying for your site. You don't want that. (Just read vulpeslibertas' post, so maybe you're doing that already. Good for you.)
    - Find ways to make it worthwile for the creators who do the page view thing. For example:
      - Pay them;
      - Run a copy of their PW ad code on the page that displays their comic;
      - Make the page view a pay option, or raise donations and give all the money it makes to the creators. Yes, all the money. After all, you're the communist. Razz
      - Offer the creators an area for extra content to go with the display page, which they're free to use any way they see fit. This may include some of the above options.

As for your other question, about hosting web comics? I think the one thing that none of the other webcomic hosting sites offer is money. You offer that, you may have a shot.

Webcomics - Blog - Twitter
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dracony wrote:
You guys simply can't get of all the 'theft' thing. If I get authors permission, or the comic is Crateive Commons licensed it isn't a theft. There is only like maybe 4 comics on the site, that I haven't received the reply for yet, that's all. I am not forcing anyone on the site.

Then you need to get permission for those four before you can post their work. It's that simple.
dracony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are only 3 comics on the site that I haven't received the reply for yet. For all the newly added comics I got permission beforehnad. So I would encourage you to join in and use the site.
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dracony wrote:
there are 3 comics on the site that I haven't received the reply for

So you still have other people's copyrighted material on your site without permission.

dracony wrote:
So I would encourage you to join in and use the site.

No.

vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dracony wrote:
Well, there are only 3 comics on the site that I haven't received the reply for yet.

vulpeslibertas wrote:
Those four comic authors aren't required to give you a response. If you walk up to someone on the street, ask for a dollar, and the person brushes you off, that isn't implicit permission to go rummaging through their pocketbook.

Why don't you remove those 3 comics temporarily, and post them when and if the authors reply?
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
Why don't you remove those 3 comics temporarily, and post them when and if the authors reply?

Because he doesn't understand the concept of someone not wanting him to share their stuff?

Marscaleb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:

Zoe Robinson wrote:

Because he doesn't understand the concept of someone not wanting him to share their stuff?

Because he doesn't think there are going to be any legal repercussions and isn't guided by morality alone?
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb wrote:
Because he doesn't think there are going to be any legal repercussions and isn't guided by morality alone?
dracony wrote:
(im a communist =)
Who needs morals, he's got principles. You bourgeois artists just don't understand how necessary it is for people to use your stuff for their own purposes. Just because you do all the work, why should you get the credit? Webcomic readers unite!
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comes a point when beating the piata just makes everyone look bad.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right dpat. Although, I have to say, as a tagline, "I'm a communist," ranks up there with "I use a ruler for everything."
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpat57 wrote:
Comes a point when beating the piata just makes everyone look bad.
You mean there's candy inside this thing?!!!?! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cct
B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: fff Reply with quote

Stealing is still stealing no matter how many ribbons and bows you try to put on it. Very Happy

[MOD EDIT: Don't post spam links]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: