TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gravy Express -- I'm new at this

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gravyexpress

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Gravy Express -- I'm new at this Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I've been wanted to make a webcomic for a while and finally did. I don't want anyone to feel like I'm spamming because this my first post, I'm looking for some criticism if anyone cares to give it.

The quality is less than ideal; hand drawn. I'm wondering more if its funny and something anyone would actually be interested in seeing daily. I plan to put up a new comic everyday.

http://gravyexpress.blogspot.com
hawthornearts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though its done by hand it seems fine to me. Possibly it could be a bit clearer? Are you scanning or taking a photo to transfer it onto a computer?
gravyexpress

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That's what I'm trying to figure out, they are both scanned in. I think the problem was when I drew them I did it too small. Tracing over the pencil drawings with marker helped but I lost a lot of detail. I have a few more ready but I don't want to put them up until tomorrow. I think I'm going to put up 2 a day for the first few days, just to get my technique for drawing them down.

I'm looking at getting a tablet to draw on the computer with, but they are quite expensive.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wacom Bamboo tablets aren't that expensive. Off of Wacom's website they're about $80. Newegg has them for $70 right now. Tigerdirect for $80... Same with BestBuy... Amazon Is the best with some used ones for $40 and new for $55 and up. And that's just if you go wacom bamboo. There's some off brands that I've never heard of for $20-30.

Not that expensive.
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, tablets can be expensive but it's always worthwhile checking places like eBay for second hand tablets. I've seen several people cast off their Wacom tablets in order to make room for the latest models [1] so you can pick up good stuff for cheaper than you can get them in stores, if you look around.

Also, the Bamboo is a good tablet, especially when you're starting out. Don't dismiss the generic brands though. I drew my comics on a store brand tablet for years and it was just fine. In fact, I only upgraded because I wore the surface out on it after drawing so much, so you can get a lot of time and use for little money if you're willing to take a chance.

With regard to your comics, I like the jokes - you've got a good sense of pacing and your layouts are good. I prefer the four panels in a row rather than in a square but I think that's just personal preference (I'm used to reading comics that way, I suppose).

Looking forward to seeing some more. Smile

[1] I don't understand that mentality - I'm still using an Intuos4 and I've no plans to upgrade because, well, it still works - why cast off good stuff just to get new stuff?! *boggles*

gravyexpress

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tablet advice and comments:), I am definitely going to invest in one.

I agree with liking the rows more for 4 panels, I'm just seeing what works haha.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know the off brand ones work well too. I was just using a Wacom line because everyone carries on about them being the best. The first tablet I ever used was one I got for free from a friend who is now in Art School. It didn't last long since she pretty much wore it out, but that's beside the point Razz
antleonardi01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyanide and happiness?
flynnzilla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crap, dude. you are hilarious. i mean that, i feel like my text could come off sarcastic. gave your homework comic a like on facebook. really impressive, no? Wink

so wrong you're right.
SidneyConrad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your humor more than makes up for the art style. Your comic really shows that's it not always important that a comic looks pretty, but that it has to have very good writing and jokes. I do have to agree with antleonardi01 in saying that it does remind me a lot of Cyanide and Happiness but I think what you have is good.

And I'm in a similar boat as you with the tablet thing. Right now I hand draw my comics, scan them, then trace them using a mouse. A tablet would be much easier but it works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: