TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A rock and roll throwback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
splashpage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: A rock and roll throwback Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I just launched my new webcomic, GCD. It's an ongoing Rock and Roll adventure series inspired by a lot of the black and white comics from the 90s. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Here's the link:

http://6panels8octaves.com
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not crazy about the site navigation, but the comic sure looks good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're liking the comic so far!

I was somewhat limited in my options for the site, right now I'm using a free Wordpress account and there's only so much you can do with it. I'm looking to upgrade at some point though once the comic is a little further along, put together something that's a little more user friendly. Hopefully it won't deter you from coming back every now and then to check out how the story goes.
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I will return.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd chime back in to let you know we've upgraded the GCD site to a slightly more user friendly design. Wordpress just wasn't doing it for us, so hopefully you'll dig what we've come up with thanks to the folks over at Comic Fury. Very Happy

http://6panels8octaves.com
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of just the link, consider popping some art samples or panels into this thread to encourage readers to check out the comic. And/or add a sigline banner to your posts here, see this thread for more info.

The art's looking good, the strong inking makes me wonder how easy or how hard it would be to drop color into your pages. The thing about black and red dominating is that it gives a dark, lifeless feeling to the comic. How might you feel about a full color banner, at least? Or not. Just a thought.

I dunno what GCD stands for and looking at the comic, there's no clue. How does it relate to 6 panels 8 octaves? I've no idea. Should this be made more obvious?

I recognized the Comic Fury navigation and links, I've got comics there too. I might be inclined to give CF a shout out among the links at the bottom of the page since it's hosting your comic, but that's just me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know about adding color to the comic itself. It was designed to be a throwback to the black and white comics from the 90s and 00s that inspired it, books like The Amazing Joy Buzzards, Phonogram, Tank Girl, etc. I could keep going. Plus, I'm a huge fan of black and white comics in general. I think more books should forgo color.

But I definitely see your point to adding some color to the site itself. I was going for a White Stripes, Seven Nation Army feel. But I guess that can come off looking a little dull. I'll play around with a bit of color. And maybe make a few other little changes based off of your suggestions as well.
Wink

Thanks a ton!
antleonardi01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the black and white as well. The comic's art looks fantastic.

Agree about the site though. The website itself looks thrown together in a rush and does not do your talents any justice.
splashpage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, I was going for minimalist, so it didn't overshadow the comic itself. The site is still a work in progress though, so I'll keep at it. I'm new to development and coding, so this a bit of a learning process for me.
antleonardi01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use comicpress. All of the coding is done for you, and you can just learn a little bit of CSS and HTML to edit the appearance. Thats what I did.

As for the comic itself, the art is terrific nothing to add there, but the text needs to be bigger or pick an easier to read font. The words are very squished together and hard on the eye.

Also, since you're such a killer artist, you NEED to draw out a better logo. lol

Keep it up dude. Once the site looks nice I'm sure you'll be pulling in mad traffic Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: