TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Comics 1 Site
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Sawatsky
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: 2 Comics 1 Site Reply with quote

I'm THIS close to launching a new comic. Actually, I have 2 new comics... What are your thoughts on having one comic series update on Mondays and then a different series update on Wednesdays (or whatever day) on the same site?

I ask because I am cheap and don't want to register 2 domains. Lazy, too, when it comes to web design.
Gual-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the autor of Zany comics has two comics in one site. I don't see anything wrong about it. Personally I will not do it but either don't see the problem in that system, so, go on!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Serious answer here: Check with your website provider and see if you can set up a subdomain for your new comic.

I'd go with this. It's the system I set up for myself on my own site. Right now I'm only working on one comic but that will change down the road. I wanted to keep my options open with one site instead of having to re-brand and market myself when I decide to start another comic.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen single sites with multiple comics and they are almost always confusing to a degree that single-comic sites are not. Each one should be presented in such a way that it can stand distinctly and entirely on its own.

And yeah, subdomains. My host basically charges a $5 setup fee for each new one, and that's it. Very handy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the mention Gual-Kun. Yeah, I think you should do what you want. It is your site. However, it does help to make the comics look different or distinct from each other in some way. This is so they are never confused with each other. You can also give the reader an option to flip though consecutive strips of the same comic.

http://zanycomics.com
Spamwise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying it this way: One of my comics is a web comic that a character in the main comic enjoys reading. So on occasion, we break from the main story to present a story within the sub-webcomic.

I figure if they could do that in Watchmen, so could I, right? Very Happy

(The crossover scene where the audience gets the concept explained:
http://hardhobbittobreak.com/?p=145)
spinester

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Webcomic/Inkblot plugin for Wordpress will support multiple comics but the subdomain thing is also a good option.
Old Herb

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I also feel sub-domain would be in order. In the long run, it'll save much trouble for you and your readers.
microbrien

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Herb wrote:
Yup, I also feel sub-domain would be in order. In the long run, it'll save much trouble for you and your readers.

Yeah, that's what we do at cn-comics--buttons at the top of the page bring up the various projects. We've got 3 at the moment, actually. As long as each is separate and distinctly so, then you're fine.

I write at cn-comics.com!
sabrasmith11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really different kind of question. I really feel that there must be any problem regarding comics. There must be proper clearance from comic & side holder also.
But now a days a trend build up regarding online magazines ....

microbrien

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabrasmith11 wrote:
This is really different kind of question. I really feel that there must be any problem regarding comics. There must be proper clearance from comic & side holder also.
But now a days a trend build up regarding online magazines ....

I'm unsure where I stand on this. On the one hand, I like the idea that you put the comic right at the top of the page, before a title header even, as that's they money-maker.

On the other hand, giving it some decent padding and making sure the title is at the top so people know where the hell they are is a proven method, so I could go either way. Depends on the project, I suppose.

If your content is good enough, the web design/presentation is less critical to your success.

I write at cn-comics.com!
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post my comic in English and Spanish, so I had this issue of publishing two separate comics, and on the same dates so chapters would not be a solution.

What I did was to set up the multi-site flag in Wordpress and then create two independent blogs with it.

Using multi-site you get a yourdomain/webcomic/comicName structure, but you can easily use subdomains for better looking sites. Even better, usually subdomains are free, at least that is the case with my ISP.

You can find the instructions for multi-site wordpress at Frumph's blog.

Cheers from the hippo

Justinfh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I can see how having multiple Webcomics with very similar styles can be confusing. For me, I love Websites with multiple Webcomics and Webtoons. Websites with multiple comics and toons gives such sites variety and keeps things fresh.

Besides, having multiple comics on one site gives the artist a chance to try something different.

Personally, I think having a sub-domain is a terrible idea. Let's face it, nobody likes sub-domains! Mainly because people are too lazy to type Secondarycomic.Maincomic.com as opposed to Maincomic.com.

Now, posted one Webcomic every Monday, or another every Thursday (or whatever days you choose) is a good idea.

On my website, however, I do things a bit different. I have a main comic, and my filler comics. I like to post filler comics in between "seasons" of my main comic.
Justinfh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel that having multiple Web comics on one site is a bad idea, then just get a new domain. Sub-domains are a terrible, TERRIBLE idea!
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
How many people do you think type in your website's address in the first place?

My website stats say that most of my visitors are direct connection, but I always figured that was because most of my visitors are actually bots.

I personally almost never type in a website address.

But apparently my husband and kids do, so I have no idea how the stats would break down on this one, once you've successfully eliminated the bots from the picture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: