TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Comics 1 Site
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Sawatsky
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: 2 Comics 1 Site Reply with quote

I'm THIS close to launching a new comic. Actually, I have 2 new comics... What are your thoughts on having one comic series update on Mondays and then a different series update on Wednesdays (or whatever day) on the same site?

I ask because I am cheap and don't want to register 2 domains. Lazy, too, when it comes to web design.
Gual-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the autor of Zany comics has two comics in one site. I don't see anything wrong about it. Personally I will not do it but either don't see the problem in that system, so, go on!
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be concerned if both comics occupy the same screen space on your home page and have a similar style.

It might throw your readers if they go to your home page and see a comic, and are trying to figure out "wait, who is that guy? What happened to the duck...Why is everything suddenly in a laundromat? ...oh, wait, this guy has two different comics." By that time, they've already spoiled the suspension of disbelief and any punchline or surprise has been ruined.

I wouldn't rely on the update schedule to differentiate either, because eventually, one day, you will fail to update on time, and everyone who shows up that day will be thrown for a loop.

But if each comic has it's own homepage, then I wouldn't worry about it.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure a title that reminds people of a coprovoric video is the right one for your pimpin' thread?
Craig Daley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused have several comics on same blog? Why would I split them, they are written and drawn by me?
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Daley wrote:
Why would I split them, they are written and drawn by me?

Format is important, because it frames your content. A bad site design can prevent people from effectively reading your comic. Not the most important thing in the world, but anything which detracts from people reading your comic is not a good thing.

It can be (but isn't necessarily) a bad idea to have two different comics in proximity because it can lead to reader confusion or disorientation. It really depends on the site layout itself, I think. It's hard to say for certain, that's why we call it 'art' and not 'science'.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious answer here: Check with your website provider and see if you can set up a subdomain for your new comic.
rocketpig

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
Serious answer here: Check with your website provider and see if you can set up a subdomain for your new comic.

I'd go with this. It's the system I set up for myself on my own site. Right now I'm only working on one comic but that will change down the road. I wanted to keep my options open with one site instead of having to re-brand and market myself when I decide to start another comic.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen single sites with multiple comics and they are almost always confusing to a degree that single-comic sites are not. Each one should be presented in such a way that it can stand distinctly and entirely on its own.

And yeah, subdomains. My host basically charges a $5 setup fee for each new one, and that's it. Very handy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the mention Gual-Kun. Yeah, I think you should do what you want. It is your site. However, it does help to make the comics look different or distinct from each other in some way. This is so they are never confused with each other. You can also give the reader an option to flip though consecutive strips of the same comic.

http://zanycomics.com
sandy__

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub-domains are the way to go. And if you're too lazy to design two sites, I suspect you're too lazy to produce two comics. Wink
Spamwise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying it this way: One of my comics is a web comic that a character in the main comic enjoys reading. So on occasion, we break from the main story to present a story within the sub-webcomic.

I figure if they could do that in Watchmen, so could I, right? Very Happy

(The crossover scene where the audience gets the concept explained:
http://hardhobbittobreak.com/?p=145)
spinester

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Webcomic/Inkblot plugin for Wordpress will support multiple comics but the subdomain thing is also a good option.
Wild Horse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if I click "next comic" I'd want to see the next episode in the same comic, not swap to a different comic. Sub-domains gets my vote.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most comic CMS's allow you to navigate by storyline only sort of thing, I believe WebComic+Inkblot does it, ComicPress does it and so does Comic Easel..

They all have the ability to also CSS by storyline as well, so you can make each different comic have their own 'look' as well based on the CSS, you can find the appropriate CSS to use in the <body> tags that are outputted on your site.

for example

Code:
body.category-<somecategoryname> {
      background: #FFF;
}

Would make that category output with a white background, that's just an example but you can do that specifically for each individual comic story that you have on your one site.

Having 2 sites sometimes can be a burden, so I strongly suggest you go for either WebComic+Inkblot or Comic Easel, both of which could be utilized to do what you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: