TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sandy and her friends

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Sandy and her friends Reply with quote

So, unless you lived last week in a cave on Mars, you probably know that the mideast coast of the US was hit by Cat 1 hurricane Sandy on Monday. What you may not know if you weren't paying really close attention is that Sandy was augmented by a Nor'Easter that had been building near Nova Scotia and a Pacific front that had been crossing the US (and causing minor havoc on the Great Lakes, forcing multiple local bands to learn and cover "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" when they heard of high waves on the big three).

So, anyway, Sandy and her two friends hit the Jersey Shore (yeah, who didn't see that coming) and dragged their asses across New Jersey (as opposed to the island just off the English Channel), Pennsylvania and New York, causing sideband damage in Maryland Delaware Virginia, and New England. An entire town on Long Island burned to the ground because that's what happens when hundred-year-old wood ignites in a high wind. Most of the towns on the Jersey shore are partially buried under tons of sand (they used sand dunes for a sea wall...don't ask).

So the upshot, and the reasons for this post are this:
  • We have a number of members here who live on or near the major affected areas, and I was hoping they ould check inand let us know they're okay (especially Darc Sowers, who was in the middles of a move wheni Sandy hit). Because we're a dysfunctional family here at TWCL but we're still a family and we worry. Also,
  • As with any disaster, there are a number of douchebags who will try to cash in on the disaster, establishing "charitable organizations" in an effort to separate the generous from their money. I strongly advise, if you want to help, that you donate to The Red Cross or the ASPCA (especially the last one--you would be amazed at how many animals are abandoned or lost during disasters, and the ASPCA does an amazing job of reuniting them with their owners or finding themnew homes).

Anyway...I've said enough.
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to her blog, Darc and Matt weren't much affected by the storm. Other problems, maybe, but Sandy wasn't really one of them.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of a few hours ago Nick who does Bunnies in Space (NickSD on here) was still without power, but otherwise okay. There are a few other people I know who've lost power, but to my knowledge they all have it back now. Nick's case is different though because he's reliant on a ventilator.

There's a longish post here about what's happened to make sure that he's got enough power to keep his equipment going, but the short version is thanks to help from friends and strangers he's currently getting fully charged up batteries delivered up to his place on the 12th floor.

Edit: Good news. His power's back.

Blog
Doogl McDoog
Blue Dali Person

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Doogl McDoog on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Murphy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in NJ and luckily I was spared both storms. My neighborhood didn't do as well. My next door neighbor lost power for a week. (Different power grid) And all family members scattered throught New Jersey (seven of them) lost power for up to a week.

I live over an hour away from my nearest relative. With the gas shortage, no one could drive up to my place so I've been stressed not being any help.

The people at the shore are the ones that got the most damage. Time will repair it all. New Jersey relies alot on the tax and tourist income at the shore so it will definitely be rebuilt.
Fly By Night

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in New Jersey and the worst that happened to me was that a big tree fell in my backyard. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: