TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Project Wonderful...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Project Wonderful... Reply with quote

I hope this isn't a naughty thread... but is it me or have a lot of big players pulled out of Project Wonderful recently? I'm noticing fewer and fewer big hit comic sites there every time I visit. Did something happen that I'm not aware of? I know they had power issues recently, but I've seen this trend over the past few months.
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that too and it's killing my ad revenues to the point that they aren't even covering the tiniest expenses. Right now, I am applying to other ad networks.

Last edited by vaslittlecrow on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind listing some of those other networks?
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a comic without violence or sex, Google Adsense is the way to go. Some adult comics are using it, but I am not taking a chance on losing them for violating their TOS.

I applied to the http://www.gayadnetwork.com/ because it fits my market. http://www.adbrite.com/ and http://indieclick.com/ will be next. If those fail, I will try Blogads.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I wonder what's happened with PW? They are definitely an easy and convenient way to advertise... I hope they come back...

As for Google AdSense, I have "adult themes" in my comic, but no outright sex or violence... I'll have to check out their policies... thanks for passing on those links...
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I love PW.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link supposedly shows sites that are similar to Project Wonderful and adbrite is the first on the list --> MoreOfIt
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard nothing but bad things about Adsense, personally... I suspect a lot of the bigger players are pulling out of Project Wonderful just because they're getting big enough that they actually can make viable incomes by other means, and make enough that the pennies a day for PW are just pennies.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's probably true about PW - the big players are probably getting bigger and better offers... which is really too bad for PW and those who use it for advertising... I only bought space, though, I never sold any - and though I really want to support PW I'm seeing my PW generated hits plummeting... too bad... I hope there's a solution for PW...
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metrius, I have heard mixed reviews. I heard that it can be decent money, but that they are totally merciless for minor violations of TOS and will not pay you when that happens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest sites might be pulling out because they can get better deals elsewhere, but there’s still a massive amount of mid-sized (webcomic) sites on PW.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably doesn't hurt to spread around your ads, both as an ad host and as an advertiser. Mix up a few to see what gets the best results, both in terms of revenue and display performance.
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had any decent experiences with other ad sites that you care to share?
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a large American audience, Chitika will prove a good choice. Don't use it if you're mainly getting traffic from outside the US however, since it has next to no adverts for anywhere else in the world.

pjperez

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewomack wrote:
Have you had any decent experiences with other ad sites that you care to share?

I've used mostly AdSense (Google) and PW, though I occasionally run Facebook ads as well (as well as paid promotion on other social sites like Tumblr).

On the publisher side, AdSense - like PW - only seems to be truly effective if your site gets a LOT of traffic. Otherwise, you often end up with -- especially for a webcomic -- ads irrelevant to your subject matter/audience. At least with Project Wonderful, there's a lot more relevant ads available.

On the advertising side, PW hasn't done much to drive meaningful, return traffic (or, really, much at all). I haven't used Google AdWords for a webcomic yet; when I ran a blog, the keyword results were actually very good. As for Facebook, I've run ads a few different ways (both for new releases and for promotions/sales - I also run a small comic publishing co.), and it seems more effective for driving up traffic/followers to your page as opposed to direct traffic to your site.

In general, for webcomics, unless your traffic is nuts, I think hosting ads isn't much help for revenue (merchandise/original art/books is much better), but for getting the word out? All the advertising in the world won't help if the comic isn't distinctive and, well, GOOD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: